gen 3 coyote rebuild

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
with the spray in liner on the 2018 and up, would you have to put in liners just to upgrade the pistons (std bore) since the cylinder can't be bored?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
No. Mahle makes drop in forged pistons designed for the spray bore liner.

They are NICE pieces.

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Im working on it now... not fully assembled yet. Im going with those pistons, Manley H-Tuff rods, ARP head studs, and MMR forged oil pump gears and crank sprocket.

Should be plenty for my needs which is right around 1000whp.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Im working on it now... not fully assembled yet. Im going with those pistons, Manley H-Tuff rods, ARP head studs, and MMR forged oil pump gears and crank sprocket.

Should be plenty for my needs which is right around 1000whp.
are you sleeving the block?

CobraKid04

Established Member
What's the cost to put rods and pistons in a coyote? Assuming you have a shop take ur engine and do it all.

I got a quote for my Trinity it was around 12k. Just seeing how much more cost effective it is.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What's the cost to put rods and pistons in a coyote? Assuming you have a shop take ur engine and do it all.

I got a quote for my Trinity it was around 12k. Just seeing how much more cost effective it is.

Pistons cost me $675, rods cost me $700. Got both on sale during the holidays. Shop charges $150-400 to balance the rotating assembly and probably $7-800 to assemble the shortblock if you have thm do it.

I'll be assembling everyhing myself though.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Assuming the liner is in good shape and you have pistons designed for it, then it should theoretically just need a balance of the rotating assembly, new rod bearings, gap the rings and assemble.

If you plan on upgrading to main cap studs, then you'll need to budget for a line hone of the main journals and new crank bearings.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Assuming the liner is in good shape and you have pistons designed for it, then it should theoretically just need a balance of the rotating assembly, new rod bearings, gap the rings and assemble.

If you plan on upgrading to main cap studs, then you'll need to budget for a line hone of the main journals and new crank bearings.

All good points. Im using a brand new block. These forged pistons are about the same weight as factory, but Manley H tuffs are heavier than the stock rod by about 40 grams each, so weight is definitely going to have to be added to my crank to get it all balanced.

I dont plan on doing anything with main caps/bolts/studs. They are stong AF from the factory.. no need to upgrade IMO.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

That seems pretty expensive?

I have a buddy who had his voodoo built for road racing, with sleeves/pistons/billet rods/machining and getting the heads lightly worked and valves/springs he was in it for around that amount.

Does your quote include them pulling and reinstalling the engine?

CobraKid04

Established Member
That seems pretty expensive?

I have a buddy who had his voodoo built for road racing, with sleeves/pistons/billet rods/machining and getting the heads lightly worked and valves/springs he was in it for around that amount.

Does your quote include them pulling and reinstalling the engine?

Yea, that's me dropping the car off and they do it all.

Users who are viewing this thread