General Motors (GM) cutting almost 15,000 jobs in North Aerica

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
GM to cut production at several plants, reduce salaried workforce by 15 percent

General Motors plans to dramatically cut production at a number of plants in the U.S. next year and reduce its salaried workforce by 15 percent in a massive restructuring that will cost up to $3.8 billion, the company said Monday.

The Detroit automaker said plants in Ohio, Michigan, Maryland, and Ontario, Canada will be "unallocated" in 2019 and it will cease operations at two additional plants outside of North America altogether by the end of next year.

The company also said it plans to reduce its executive staff by 25 percent.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
"GM is expected to announce it will cut the Chevrolet Volt, Impala and Cruze, the Cadillac CT6 and XTS, and the Buick LaCrosse, according to a source familiar with GM’s plans."

A lot of these plants produce cars, which at this point is a prosperity profit. If these plants aren't running at near full-capacity, GM loses money. It looks like GM is getting out of the cars game too.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
"GM is expected to announce it will cut the Chevrolet Volt, Impala and Cruze, the Cadillac CT6 and XTS, and the Buick LaCrosse, according to a source familiar with GM’s plans."

A lot of these plants produce cars, which at this point is a prosperity profit. If these plants aren't running at near full-capacity, GM loses money. It looks like GM is getting out of the cars game too.

Last I saw on Buick they still have 3 other cars
Regal, cascada and avenir(?).

Or do they share the same body/frame as a chevy car that's being axed?

My knowledge on Buicks is close to 0.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I'm just curious, when gas prices go up (and they will) to a level that people aren't comfortable with, how this move will potentially come back to bite them
The CUVs have very similar gas mileage to the sedans and are often based on platforms shared with sedans. So no, it wont bite GM. GM can easily import vehicles overseas as well, like they do with one of their Buicks, which is made in China.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Thanks Trump.

Sorry, had to do it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Trump.

Sorry, had to do it.

It's Trumps fault that a Co ran poorly cannot produce a profit in a record economy.

The industry I work in (trucking/transportation) is experiencing a literal record year and is absolutely on fire. There is simply no reason anyone in our space is not printing money. Those that aren't (very very few) are ran so poorly (Executive leadership) they cannot get out of their own way.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Isn't this mostly in Canada? Automation and market transitions. These plants make a product that isn't very popular. Like Sid said, they need to be more flexible with the plant designs going forward.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wish I would've placed a bet on this the day Ford announced they were getting out of the car business.

ALL MANUFACTURERS WILL FOLLOW.

Manufacturers are building SUVs and crossovers that get the same fuel mileage as cars, and they sit up higher and have more space. THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE WANT.

FCA will follow suit. I'd venture to guess the imports will keep their small car lines as they sell the bulk of them overseas anyways.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
How quickly everyone forgets about GM. They should have been left to go bankrupt and restructure like most all companies have done in bankruptcy. But no GM was handed billions of American tax dollars to stay viable and grow into what is now a big job loss for many. Trump did not put GM into this position GM did. I do feel bad for the people who will lose their jobs but not for GM.

08mojo

Established Member
I wish I would've placed a bet on this the day Ford announced they were getting out of the car business.

ALL MANUFACTURERS WILL FOLLOW.

Manufacturers are building SUVs and crossovers that get the same fuel mileage as cars, and they sit up higher and have more space. THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE WANT.

FCA will follow suit. I'd venture to guess the imports will keep their small car lines as they sell the bulk of them overseas anyways.

Great, another reason for me to dislike people... I want lower and less space!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The money makers at Buick are SUV's. The visibility looking out of the Lacrosse was horrible. GM thinks looking out of a bunker slit is the cat's meow.

Users who are viewing this thread