Get ready to slap some catalytic converters on BBQs

OhIIICobra

Established Member
"The Environmental Protection Agency has its eyes on pollution from backyard barbecues. The agency announced that it is funding a University of California project to limit emissions resulting in grease drippings with a special tray to catch them and a "catalytic" filtration system. The $15,000 project has the "potential for global application," said the school."

....a filter and fan are proposed for installation. "The secondary air filtration system is composed of a single pipe duct system which contains a specialized metal filter, a metal fan blade, a drive shaft, and an accompanying power system with either a motorized or manual method. This system can be powered by either an exterior electric motor with a chain-driven drive shaft, directly spinning the fan blade, or a hand-powered crank," said the project write-up.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/backyard-burger-and-wiener-roasts-targeted-by-epa/article/2561474

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015...against-epa-pollution-emissions-for-backyard/

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
California....figures. Not gonna do that shit to anything or anyone in the south. They will burn California to the ground for ****ing with BBQ.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
What a joke! I understand what they are trying to fix, but I don't see the real need for the fix.

Last edited:

MysticRob

Established Member
Guaranteed whoever thought this up at UC-R was vegan. No better studies they could've spent that $15k on? Really? Your govt at work, ladies and gentlemen.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
What a joke! I understand what they are trying to fix, but I don't see the real need for the fix.

Do me a favor and explain what they are trying to fix because it does not compute.

If they want to put them on propane grills, when will it hit lawnmowers, generators, etc..,?

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Please tell me the mainstream media is picking up news from The Onion again...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Do me a favor and explain what they are trying to fix because it does not compute.

If they want to put them on propane grills, when will it hit lawnmowers, generators, etc..,?

Anything that burns carbon emits carbon dioxide into the air. Gas grills, charcoal grills, lawnmowers, gas powered generators etc.

I know it's unpopular, but the more we do to limit the amount of c02 that we pump in to the air, the better we'll all be for it. Some things are common sense and don't inconvenience us a bit. If we can put a "catalytic converter" on a bbq without effecting the quality of the meaty goodness we prepare on it, what's actually the problem?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Anything that burns carbon emits carbon dioxide into the air. Gas grills, charcoal grills, lawnmowers, gas powered generators etc.

I know it's unpopular, but the more we do to limit the amount of c02 that we pump in to the air, the better we'll all be for it. Some things are common sense and don't inconvenience us a bit. If we can put a "catalytic converter" on a bbq without effecting the quality of the meaty goodness we prepare on it, what's actually the problem?

If lawnmowers and bbq grills and weed whackers and generators and power washers have to have full emissions equipment, the cost of them is going to double or more. I would prefer to see emissions equipment on racecars (Nascar, F1, SCCA, etc) instead of everyday equipment because at least those running in those series have adequate funding to cover the expenses.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

The science of it is not what I am asking. The sense of it all is what I'm getting at.

The problem? Something that is generally cheap to do will now increase unless CC makers will offer them for free or if Uncle Same subsidizes the cost. Besides that, where does it stop already? Are there not other, more important issues where "pollution" is substantially greater than a freakin' grill?

Rct851

Established Member
Good news is I have some cats I could throw on the pit cause they ain't on my car.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Figures, some faggits from some shitty ****** university.

Just a waste of money if anything, at least its only $15k to fund a shitty idea, who's only result will be a cluster**** of parts that 99.9% of assemblers leave off that just raises the mfg cost per bbq by $50. Then again, all the EPA does is make cost of manufacturing higher that just gets passed onto consumers anyways.

2000gt4.6

Established Member

Increased cost for zero real world gain. The emissions from a BBQ grill are already miniscule considering it's propane/natural gas. Now take into account how little percentage it is vs total US emissions.

This is a 600 lb person on that fat surgery show switching to 2% milk from whole....

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If lawnmowers and bbq grills and weed whackers and generators and power washers have to have full emissions equipment, the cost of them is going to double or more. I would prefer to see emissions equipment on racecars (Nascar, F1, SCCA, etc) instead of everyday equipment because at least those running in those series have adequate funding to cover the expenses.

That's highly speculative. Nobody knows what costs would look like adding emission control to those items. They're just now studying effectiveness of doing so, so it's impossible to calculate any effect on pricing. Logically the R&D would cost some money, so some sort of rise in cost could be expected. It's not like grills are cheap as it is now. Heck I could walk to Lowes today and drop $800-$1000 on what amounts to a mid-level grill or smoker.

I do agree about motorsports. Sanctioning bodies have been trying to slow down participants anyway, fitting emissions control shouldn't be a big issue.

The science of it is not what I am asking. The sense of it all is what I'm getting at.

The problem? Something that is generally cheap to do will now increase unless CC makers will offer them for free or if Uncle Same subsidizes the cost. Besides that, where does it stop already? Are there not other, more important issues where "pollution" is substantially greater than a freakin' grill?

Same as above. Any cost analysis right now is speculative.

What I'm trying to convey here is that it doesn't matter what the product is. This is a wholesale blanket statement that although unpopular is becoming more and more of a reality. If it burns carbon, it needs emission controls.

Yeah costs and convenience can take an initial hit, but market competition has a way of sorting that out. Our cars are a prime example. The emissions and fuel mandates imposed in the 70's could be considered draconian. They neutered everything we love about our cars. What happened though is that companies in competition for our dollars made better cars that make more power while using less far less fuel.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member

What Torch said. I agree with what you're getting at; if grills, why not everything else that's burns a fuel and pollutes the air.

Guy at work needs a catalytic converter strapped to his ass.

Users who are viewing this thread