Get your boost earlier

ALA G8R

Banned
Here is a $0 mod to get your boost with less engine load. Loosen the two 15mm bolts that secure the boost bypass valve. Then push the boost bypass valve body down to the end of its adjustment range. Re-tighten the 15mm bolts. Now the by-pass valve will close with less throttle (more vacuum).

Anybody else tried this?

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I've heard of this but some folks were getting boost at cruise with very little throttle.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
ALA G8R said:
Here is a $0 mod to get your boost with less engine load. Loosen the two 15mm bolts that secure the boost bypass valve. Then push the boost bypass valve body down to the end of its adjustment range. Re-tighten the 15mm bolts. Now the by-pass valve will close with less throttle (more vacuum).

Anybody else tried this?

maybe i missed it but i didt see anyhting about what u wrote in that MF thread....all i saw was the stiffer spring mod someone did.

i think someone should test it on the dyno back to back to see if there is a curve difference and / or power

trey193

Established Member
I tried this right after I installed my APTEN , car ran horrible put it back the way it came and the car was fine, havent touched it since.

ALA G8R

Banned
trey193 said:
I tried this right after I installed my APTEN , car ran horrible put it back the way it came and the car was fine, havent touched it since.

Mine runs fine with it all the way down.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
yes, i have done this (also on wifes Pontiac GTP) works awesome. It actually only helps on PART throttle though, you will notice much more midrange power with less applied throttle. WOT there will be NO difference. As stated above it basically makes your boost come on sooner than normal (butterfly valve in S/C closes sooner/easier)
The less vacuum that valve sees the more it closes, which in turn you start to build boost

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I actually made mine come on later, not sooner, think about it....Who needs boost when driving around town? It will make your car heatsoaked faster, and slower. I made it so mine comes on later, and actually improved my gas milage, and had no effect on my dyno at all. Actually, with the slightly cooler air, my numbers went up...... and something else to think about. WHen you drive your car at low RPM's, you want it to be more in vac then boost, but when you adjust the BAV it goes into a lower VAC/or boost, more quicly. Low RPM"s+boost= a rougher running engine.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
mike79 said:
I actually made mine come on later, not sooner, think about it....Who needs boost when driving around town? It will make your car heatsoaked faster, and slower. I made it so mine comes on later, and actually improved my gas milage, and had no effect on my dyno at all. Actually, with the slightly cooler air, my numbers went up...... and something else to think about. WHen you drive your car at low RPM's, you want it to be more in vac then boost, but when you adjust the BAV it goes into a lower VAC/or boost, more quicly. Low RPM"s+boost= a rougher running engine.

care to explain how?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Same exact way of making it come on faster, but in reverse. You raise the BAV, just a little bit, make sure the arm is still making contact with the stop, and make sure its level. I notice my car runs a bit cooler, and it stays out of boost when just driving it around town. It was VERY annoying when I got the car pullied, and it was always going into boost when driving at low speeds, but you press down a bit further on the pedal, and you get thrown back.

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
What's the factory spec for preload? When I had the blower ported I took the b/p valve off. When I put it back together I just preloaded the stop just a little (1/16'') and tightened it down. Seems to work great. What's everyone else doing?

Users who are viewing this thread