Getting a 1967 Camaro

MachweZo3

Established Member
I have known my neighbor for about 14 years now. Just recently he has entered a rest home and is selling his 1967 RS Camaro. It is puke gold with a vinyl top. The guy in charge of his estate says he is going to sell it from $1,500 to $2,000. It has 74k original miles on it and he has been the original owner since 1967. It has always been garaged and is super straight with no rust. With the money that I am saving, I am going to throw in a 427 crate with a new 4 speed. Hopefully I will have it up and running in the next couple of years.:rockon:

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
If it is complete, why would you put a crate motor in it? most likely you could just sell the car as is for a huge proffit.:shrug:

Very good point.

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Wow, that's dirt cheap. :eek:

If it's in very good condition, don't touch it.

SVTINBLAK

Established Member
That sounds like one hell of a deal!
Personally I wouldn't touch it either,how many of those cars are still around with only 74k miles on it! I would store it for awhile,couple years mabey,put a little money in it on minor restoration parts and what not.....You would have a nice little nest egg for later on! You got so lucky!

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
I'll offer to double your money right here and now. Cash is waiting.

I agree with the other guys: Don't touch the engine (most likely a 327). Bringing the thing back to life with reconditioning and what-not would be great....but if you *do* swap the engine out, keep the original and put it on an engine stand.

Numbers-matching cars are getting harder to find. No sense in breaking this one apart forever by selling the engine.

IMHO.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
like already said, if it's original in good condition with only 74K orignal miles, PLEASE! don't touch it, it's not a drag car, it's an antique with lots of value, either way though, it's your car, what a gem. Congrats on such a great find!

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
i love first gen. maros. The 67 has the triangle vent window on the a pillar of the door doesnt it? The 67's were pretty rare. Good luck on your project.

p.s.- this thread is worthless without pics! hehe :p

LocoGT

Banned
Originally posted by machweZ
I have known my neighbor for about 14 years now. Just recently he has entered a rest home and is selling his 1967 RS Camaro. It is puke gold with a vinyl top. The guy in charge of his estate says he is going to sell it from $1,500 to $2,000. It has 74k original miles on it and he has been the original owner since 1967. It has always been garaged and is super straight with no rust. With the money that I am saving, I am going to throw in a 427 crate with a new 4 speed. Hopefully I will have it up and running in the next couple of years.:rockon:

I hate you

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
Originally posted by MissionMan
i love first gen. maros. The 67 has the triangle vent window on the a pillar of the door doesnt it? The 67's were pretty rare. Good luck on your project.

p.s.- this thread is worthless without pics! hehe :p

67s had the vent windows, in 68 they got rid of the vent windows and added vents on the rear quarter panels, 69 they re-did the interior, some minor exterior changes (New headlamps, redone taillights and so on)

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
don't touch it if it's what you say it is!
It's worth more than $2000 as is, and more than you'll get out of it if you tear it apart.
My dad had a puke gold (and he actually does call it puke gold, lol) 68' camaro S-6 that he dumped a 396 camel and suspension from an SS he bought that had been totalled - meanest little sleeper with dog dish hubcaps and all that!

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Originally posted by P_Lomez
67s had the vent windows, in 68 they got rid of the vent windows and added vents on the rear quarter panels, 69 they re-did the interior, some minor exterior changes (New headlamps, redone taillights and so on)

You forgot the most oubvious way to tell a 67' from a 68'
The 1968 had side marker lamps. They were federally mandated in 1968. that's also the easiest way to tell a 67' stang from a 68'.
Or really just about any 67' from a 68'
My friend's mom's boyfriend (of maybe, 6 or 7 years) had a 67' Camaro he had as a project - B&M shifter for an auto tranny. It was in ocean blue metallic. he still has it. it's a hella cool car! He gave me a ride home, about 40 mins, and it was awesome! That car had the 396 camel but the block was cracked, he now has a crate, I think it may be an edelbrock...

Pretty sweet car. The rear windows were a little bit of a pain to roll up or down, but they're just old I suspect...
Coming around a corner before we went to get gas, he hammered it as we went around a corner, the car started sliding and fishtailing all over the place, he straightened her out and goes "Fun huh?"
I was like "uhhh, yeah..."
I was certain we were going to smack the curb, lol
Because it was an auto there was no factory tach - so we had a massive gas guage next to the speedo instead - he would get up on it and you could literally watch the needle fall :lol1:
Very cool car - alot of thumbs up from people - and boy did it pin you in your seat...

MachweZo3

Established Member
Yeah, I'm going to take your guys advice and keep the 327 in it. Although it is going to need a few high performance parts. I plan on throwing on a trunk with the spoiler on it and painting it pearl white. Thanks for all the suggestions, i appreciate it.

Cobro

Banned
The 67 is one sweet ride. Whatever you take off and replace, Keep the original parts!!

You will have a major investment, a very collectable car. The 67/69 were the big dogs

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
Originally posted by Vancouver83LTD
You forgot the most oubvious way to tell a 67' from a 68'
The 1968 had side marker lamps. They were federally mandated in 1968. that's also the easiest way to tell a 67' stang from a 68'.
Or really just about any 67' from a 68'
My friend's mom's boyfriend (of maybe, 6 or 7 years) had a 67' Camaro he had as a project - B&M shifter for an auto tranny. It was in ocean blue metallic. he still has it. it's a hella cool car! He gave me a ride home, about 40 mins, and it was awesome! That car had the 396 camel but the block was cracked, he now has a crate, I think it may be an edelbrock...

Pretty sweet car. The rear windows were a little bit of a pain to roll up or down, but they're just old I suspect...
Coming around a corner before we went to get gas, he hammered it as we went around a corner, the car started sliding and fishtailing all over the place, he straightened her out and goes "Fun huh?"
I was like "uhhh, yeah..."
I was certain we were going to smack the curb, lol
Because it was an auto there was no factory tach - so we had a massive gas guage next to the speedo instead - he would get up on it and you could literally watch the needle fall :lol1:
Very cool car - alot of thumbs up from people - and boy did it pin you in your seat...

Yah shit, I figured I forgot something. Oh well, I got the major stuff. I always use the vent windows and the quarter vents to tell the difference. Those old Chevys sure are sweet, too bad the General doesn't make em like that anymore

Users who are viewing this thread