Getting a 6.2 Raptor

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Just got notice that my Raptor (6.2L) is now "subject to plant" so at least they are gearing up to start soon. Hope to have a build date by next week.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Good news today! My 6.2L is on the transport with a scheduled delivery of April 5th to my dealer!

SOCOMech

Established Member
Good news today! My 6.2L is on the transport with a scheduled delivery of April 5th to my dealer!

Congrats! So even though it's been built and headed out of the factory already, it still won't get to your dealer till around the first of April? Or are you just having to wait?

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Well, I live in BFE so I'm sure it has to ride a few different rail cars to get here. I guess I've always thought a month was a respectable delivery time.

SOCOMech

Established Member
Mine's being built today and I'm looking to pick it up right after I get home from Iraq on March 30th.

SOCOMech

Established Member
White 6.2 w/ lux. pkg., nav, moonroof, reverse camera, bed extender and tailgate step. The earliest vins I've seen so far for the 6.2's have the last 6 digits in the high 70000's, mine is in the 80900's. I'm guessing yours should be in the lower range as well. You can checkout fordsvtraptor.com if you want more info on Raptor's.

dtd01svt

Established Member
Its rated at 6000 or 6500 lbs towing. This is lower than the normal f150 because of the off road suspension set up. To pull a trailer an one svt mustang it should be fine.

Also vins are out for the 6.2. Build dates have been scheduled!!!:rockon::pepper:First of March!

I was curious to know the tow rating also as I have a travel trailer. I was at the Cleveland Auto Show talking to a Ford Tech about their truck line up and he told me that the 6.2L Raptor will be good to tow 8000lbs. He was telling me the tow ratings are based on the frame and the Raptor has a beefed up frame for offroad use and will be fine for towing an 8000lb travel trailer. Even better with the weight distribution bars. :shrug:

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
The official rating is 6000lbs.. The limit isn't tied to the engine's power, it is tied to the soft suspension set up... You could tow 8000 lbs depending on the tongue weight I suppose.. But you'll be riding with your nose way up in the air.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I was curious to know the tow rating also as I have a travel trailer. I was at the Cleveland Auto Show talking to a Ford Tech about their truck line up and he told me that the 6.2L Raptor will be good to tow 8000lbs. He was telling me the tow ratings are based on the frame and the Raptor has a beefed up frame for offroad use and will be fine for towing an 8000lb travel trailer. Even better with the weight distribution bars. :shrug:

That guy has no idea what he is talking about. The only real changes made to the frame were to allow of the installation of the larger spare tire, but that's only one of his inaccuracies.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
That guy has no idea what he is talking about. The only real changes made to the frame were to allow of the installation of the larger spare tire, but that's only one of his inaccuracies.

Ford did beef up suspension and other chasis components for offroad use. Fords frame I believe is the strongest you can purchase from the factory from a half ton truck, and did not need to built up for the raptor from my understanding.
The 145" wheel base supercrew 5.4 4x4 tow rating is 11,200!

dtd01svt

Established Member

SID, I think your off on that one. Tell me what you know about towing with the Raptor then. I'd love to know what you know over what an actual Ford SVT and Diesel Tech knows.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
SID, I think your off on that one. Tell me what you know about towing with the Raptor then. I'd love to know what you know over what an actual Ford SVT and Diesel Tech knows.

What about the towing? I'm going off what I was told by SVT engineers.

SOCOMech

Established Member

Well I'm a Ford tech. and I agree with SID. First off, the Raptor is the only supercab 5.5ft bed 4x4 offered by Ford anymore......while that makes the Raptor's frame specific, it is not beefed up for off road use. The mounting points for the suspension are different but that's about it, you've already got the best truck frame out there. The frame is not going to change the tow ratings on the Raptor, it's suspension (mainly leaf springs) are the reason for the lower tow ratings. He may have been a Ford tech but, there's so much he said-she said and "my salesman, manager, rep, friend that knows somebody at the factory said...." that it gets laughable at times. If anything, the gvwr would actually be a bit lower too with the heavier 6.2. So will you be able to tow 8k pounds with a 6.2 Raptor? Yeah, but you can DO alot of things that probably shouldn't be done. So yes, the guy you talked to is infact very inaccurate.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Well....... BAD NEWS.

My Raptor, order 1208 was just pushed back to a May 10th build date. I misunderstood my dealer when he told me it was on the truck earlier this month. Email from Denver Regional Zone Manager basically said that since the 6.2L was tied in with the Superduty and they were still doing quality/durability tests on that platform that they wouldn't release anything until they were completely satisfied.

New Build Date 5/10
New Delivery Date 5/17

Kinda blows.

Users who are viewing this thread