Getting locked out of 4th gear

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I've been meaning to start this thread but I wanted to try some things before doing so. The issue I'm having is that I'm getting locked out of 4th gear at rpm's above 6900. I normally shift at 7000-7100 in every other gear but 4th gear doesn't allow it. I have to shift at 6700-6800 to get it into 4th which is a pain having to worry about that. I've heard of people getting locked out of 3rd but never 4th. If anyone knows the cause or what I can do to fix it that would be great.

Benchracer

Established Member
Im hearing the MGW shifter is eliminating lock out issues. I would say that combined with Redline fluid would be the way to go.

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
I started missing 3rd about half the time before I got the Barton Shifter and bracket, and haven't had a problem with that since. I had the hard to shift when cold since it was new and after the TSB and thinner fluid swap that was gone. Then the pressure plate bolts back out and I couldn't shift it hardly at all, and after the TSB new bolts it went back to normal. However; mine has had a slight grind going into 2nd after a few passes and I started a thread about it on here before. Shortly thereafter I changed the fluid to Royal Purple 75W90 Max Gear Oil and it went back to hard to shift when cold. I went back to the track and started getting locked out of 2nd. Changed the fluid this morning to Royal Purple Synchromax and it shifted great hammering on it on the street but who know when I'll get it back to the strip since all the tracks are shut down for winter.

Last edited:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Im hearing the MGW shifter is eliminating lock out issues. I would say that combined with Redline fluid would be the way to go.

I have a MGW shifter so its not the normal torquing of the shifter causing missed shifts problem. Just wont let me in the gear above 7k

I started missing 3rd about half the time before I got the Barton Shifter and bracket, and haven't had a problem with that since. I had the hard to shift when cold since it was new and after the TSB and thinner fluid swap that was gone. Then the pressure plate bolts back out and I couldn't shift it hardly at all, and after the TSB new bolts it went back to normal. However; mine has had a slight grind going into 2nd after a few passes and I started a thread about it on here before. Shortly thereafter I changed the fluid to Royal Purple 75W90 Max Gear Oil and as soon as I went back to the track I started getting locked out of 2nd. Changed the fluid this morning Royal Purple Synchromax and its shifted great hammering on it on the street but who know when I'll get it back to the strip since all the tracks are shut down for winter.

Might have to look into changing my fluid out. Seems weird to me a fluid change would fix this or cause it to happen but then again I don't know a lot about transmissions.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Mine was built 6/11 too. New trans gearset was introduced a month later. Different tolerances and coatings on the gears, supposed to solve the problems. We got the last of the old sh!t.............

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Mine was built 6/11 too. New trans gearset was introduced a month later. Different tolerances and coatings on the gears, supposed to solve the problems. We got the last of the old sh!t.............

That blows...wonder how I could get the new gear set. Everything else about my transmission is great. Its just that damn 4th gear lockout..

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
They put the tsb fluid in mine and its been progressively whining louder the more miles I put on her. Still locking me out of third which is why I brought it in last time that they changed the fluid. Being wintertime and on snow tires now, I don't even floor the car anymore or really drive spirited, so I'm just gonna drive it till it gets stupid loud or breaks, then bring it in.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
This sounds like a clutch holding issue. How's your driving style? If you're hard on the clutch, this may be why you're seeing this issue. 4th gear is going to have a ton of load on the engine at those rpms. A weakened clutch may not hold it. Especially if you're not seeing those issues except for at high rpm high load times, I'd look there.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
This sounds like a clutch holding issue. How's your driving style? If you're hard on the clutch, this may be why you're seeing this issue. 4th gear is going to have a ton of load on the engine at those rpms. A weakened clutch may not hold it. Especially if you're not seeing those issues except for at high rpm high load times, I'd look there.

Normal driving I wouldn't say too bad. I drive around in 5th and 6th a lot at low rpms to conserve gas. I had issues with the clutch holding in 1st a month or so back but haven't had the issue again. If I'm stopped on an incline for a short time I'll use the clutch to hold me. But its not like I'm getting into 4th and its not holding. It simply grinds and wont let me in at anything above 7k.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yeah, this sounds like the clutch is on it's way out. Holding yourself on an incline with the clutch instead of the brakes will wear a clutch out fairly quickly. It would be like driving around town with your foot constantly on the brakes. you'd be sure to wear them out pretty quick.

Remember that loads in your higher gears are increased greatly over loads in your lower gears, especially 1st.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Yeah, this sounds like the clutch is on it's way out. Holding yourself on an incline with the clutch instead of the brakes will wear a clutch out fairly quickly. It would be like driving around town with your foot constantly on the brakes. you'd be sure to wear them out pretty quick.

Remember that loads in your higher gears are increased greatly over loads in your lower gears, especially 1st.

I've done this for years in my truck on much greater inclines and never felt the clutch get weaker. I know loads increase as you go up in gears but I can shit into 5th at 7k+ without any issue. If the clutch were the issue I would think it wouldn't allow me to get into 4th or 5th above 7k.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
I'd still have the clutch looked at. Also, could be a tranny issue. I'd look at Redline MTL, Amsoil MTG, Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil or Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil. I've read that Royal Purple Synchromax is too thick for the MT-82.

If none of that work then it could be internal tranny issues.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I'd still have the clutch looked at. Also, could be a tranny issue. I'd look at Redline MTL, Amsoil MTG, Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil or Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil. I've read that Royal Purple Synchromax is too thick for the MT-82.

If none of that work then it could be internal tranny issues.

I plan on changing the fluid after graduation with amsoil 75w90. Would be awesome if it fixes the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread