Getting Started w/ my Terminator

No Fate

Hey guys and gals. I'm new to the site but have been using this place as a resource to purchase my car and I'm proud to announce that I am the new owner of a 2003 SVT Cobra.

My goals for the car as simple: I'd like to bring this former daily driver (<100k miles) and pretty her back up. I'm going to remove some dents and scratches, wet sand it if needed, and possibly even repaint some of the Sonic Blue pieces to bring the paint back. Ditto on cleaning up the engine bay.

As far as mods go, the car has an Bassani X exhaust, CAI, and a tune to correspond with those mods. Other than that, the car is virgin.

Over the course of the next year, I'm going to slowly but surely add modifications that will increase the power and productivity of the car but not be subjected to the laws of diminishing returns for the money or work needed. The most important aspect though is to plan an upgrade path that is in the best interest of the engine, not in dollar per horsepower. Optimally, I'd like to do all the best bolt-on mods so long as they are supported well.

I have a few questions and need some advice that would really help boost my confidence that I am on the right track. I've poured over the Term FAQ, this site, and several others to come up with my "starting checklist". Please let me know if I am missing anything, being too OCD, or am leaning in the wrong direction:

1. When I take possession, I'm planning on flushing the coolant, changing the oil and changing out the SC oil. Is there anything else I should be concerned with straight away? (never purchased a used car before, only new)

2. My first priority is keeping heat at bay. The first two mods I am planning on doing straight away are EvenFlo Gen 2 and an LP Reservoir. I've read and re-read trying to determine if there are any others I should consider throwing in on the initial platform, but it seems like a larger radiator or H/E are a bit overkill. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations or even commentary that says I don't really need to do these two until I do X.

3. I should drill the T-Stat instead of getting an aftermarket since I'm close to stock, right?

4. Fans. Should I be adding any or just setting the kick points through a tune?

5. I'm hesitant on the EGR delete. It seems like its common knowledge that it cleans up the bay, but everything else beyond that seems like its a subject of debate. I'd be most interested in this if someone can tell me whether or not recirculating hot exhaust gas increase temperatures. Otherwise, it seems more cosmetic than anything.

6. Will I experience anything of siginifigance if I swap the stock TB for an aftermarket one? Or should I wait until...

7. A Supercharger port. Anyone want to recommend which Steig port I should go for for my needs? Again, not trying to get the most out of the engine, but the most out of the engine without pushing the upper ceiling of stability. I've also assumed that if I were creating an upgrade path, the port would take place after a pulley swap.

Those are pretty much the questions on my mind at this point. If you think I'm missing something, please let me know. I'm eager to learn and to contribute back to the community. If I'm coming off as a newb, please cut me a little slack just this once ;) I promise that I know how to use the search functions and find crap on my own, but this was a list of things I felt I couldn't cover.

Again, gonna bring this baby back to the sexy side, and use her as a third car that will never see rain, snow, or temperatures under 50 degrees F. She won't be beaten on, but she will be driven and even may see some track time sometime.

Thank you all so much. Sorry about the wall of text!

Satyr

Established Member
I decided to answer your post within the text.

1. When I take possession, I'm planning on flushing the coolant, changing the oil and changing out the SC oil. Is there anything else I should be concerned with straight away? (never purchased a used car before, only new)
This is a good place to start. Might also want to check transmission oil and check all the plugs. A compression test would be good, if you can get one before buying the car, just to make sure you aren't starting on the wrong foot.

2. My first priority is keeping heat at bay. The first two mods I am planning on doing straight away are EvenFlo Gen 2 and an LP Reservoir. I've read and re-read trying to determine if there are any others I should consider throwing in on the initial platform, but it seems like a larger radiator or H/E are a bit overkill. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations or even commentary that says I don't really need to do these two until I do X.
The head cooling mod and the upgraded IC tank are good places to start., Our Cobras have a low tolerance for heat (as far as timing being pulled by the PCM goes), and regulating and stabilizing the cooling temps well is very important. As you mentioned, upgrading the radiator has shown VERY little benefit over stock and an upgraded heat exchanger hasn't proven absolutely useful either, as far as I could tell. My advice is to get your pulley combo on and see where your temps are...if they're a little high, then maybe a heat exchanger would be a good idea, but it isn't going to be dropping your IAT2's 10-20*. Also, recall that a porting will lower IAT2's a pretty good amount, as well.

3. I should drill the T-Stat instead of getting an aftermarket since I'm close to stock, right?
This is a good starter step. Eventually, purchasing one of Reische's 170* modified thermostats would be a good move, though (depending on location) it might not be entirely necessary.

4. Fans. Should I be adding any or just setting the kick points through a tune?
The stock fans move air very well...in fact, I don't think any aftermarket kits have been developed and proven to be of much benefit. Having your tuner adjust the settings properly is definitely important.

5. I'm hesitant on the EGR delete. It seems like its common knowledge that it cleans up the bay, but everything else beyond that seems like its a subject of debate. I'd be most interested in this if someone can tell me whether or not recirculating hot exhaust gas increase temperatures. Otherwise, it seems more cosmetic than anything.
Like you said, this is a cosmetic mod. No sources have shown pros/cons for it, but many do it to improve the looks of the underhood. I personally did it and much prefer the look of my engine bay now over how it was. It's completely optional.

6. Will I experience anything of siginifigance if I swap the stock TB for an aftermarket one? Or should I wait until...
A TB/plenum combo could be useful...but it might be a better idea to have your stocker welded/ported with your blower (see below). If you can find a deal on a good used one or just really want to gain the extra 5-12 hp you might get, then go for it...I say hold off on this one, too.

7. A Supercharger port. Anyone want to recommend which Steig port I should go for for my needs? Again, not trying to get the most out of the engine, but the most out of the engine without pushing the upper ceiling of stability. I've also assumed that if I were creating an upgrade path, the port would take place after a pulley swap.
Before selecting Steig to port...definitely look into Posi's race porting. His new ports have had TREMENDOUS results (see the thread in his vendor's section about his compelte port list and the awesome numbers it made). Steig might have the most experience, but there are far cheaper options that are proving to be just as useful, if not more so. When having the blower done, this is when you want to get a new TB/plenum or have your stocker ported. As for pulleys, a 2.76 upper would be good or a 2.93/4# lower combo (since you said you want something relatively easy on the blower). If you want more than that, the 2.65 or 2.8 with a 4# has shown great results. The Eaton is very stable...and these combos have been tested sucessfully for years.

You need to remember that, with mods such as porting and pulley combos, you are going to start running out of fuel and MAF volts. You will need to upgrade to a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump, larger injectors (63# are nice) and a mass airflow extender (such as the Diablosport MAF.ia or the SCT 2400). A new shifting unit, such as the MGW, should also be among your first mods. As for tuning, get ahold of Rick at Amazon Tuning Solutions; get one of his SCT Xcal tuners with his lifetime revisions and he will get you squared away with some of the best tuning around.

Good luck!

Last edited:

No Fate

Thanks for the response, Satyr.

I have been focusing more on studying the stock components, but I did figure at some point I was going to have to start looking at some of those supporting mods. Still, its great to know specifically what I should be focusing on.

Now all I need is to start working on the damn thing ;)

Users who are viewing this thread