Getting the manifold studs out of the heads?

ImportsSuk

DelValMuscleCars
Established Member
ok guys, getting ready to tackle the MM kmember/aarms/coilovers and while the k is out i'm installing Kooks LT's. i took a look at the studs and nuts on the stock manifolds when i did the McLeod clutch last weekend, and they look pretty shitty. i bought the FRPP grade8 locking header bolts for hardware but by the looks of the stock hardware it might be a struggle getting them out of the heads.

so to you guys that have installed LT's, any tips/tricks/suggestions on getting the crap factory hardware off without snapping the studs in the heads? other than soaking the shit outta them with pb-blaster??

SlowSVT

Established Member
If possible leave as many of the studs in the head and avoid header bolts. When you thread a nut over a stud it's "steel on steel". With header bolts it "steel on aluminum threads" :uh oh:

The soft aluminum threads will stretch overtime making the screw loose it's ability to stay torqued. If you have to remove the studs consider getting the hole heli-coiled. Stripped header bolt holes will make you life miserable :cryying:

There is a square end on the stock studs you can put a socket over to drive out the stud.

Users who are viewing this thread