• Some sort of merger will happen

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • No idea????

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thenexlevel

Established Member
GM[GM 3.13 -1.23 (-28.21%) ] down 28 percent as Deutsche Bank lowered its rating on GM to a Sell, but more interesting is the price target: $0. That's because, like most analysts, Rod Lache has concluded that a government bailout is not likely to help the shares, that even with a bailout GM's future, if it is not in bankruptcy, is likely to be "bankruptcy-like." That means that secured creditors may be made whole, while unsecured creditors will get a very low recovery. Equity shareholders will likely get nothing.

GM now has a market cap less than Ford. Seems like they are as good as dead...Toyota can easily snap up GM and F at this point.

s_x_i

Established Member
It was put to me last night by a friend that the Government won't let Detroit fail because if when we go to war with China, we'll need those factories to be pumping out weapons.

I say let the Auto companies as we know them fail, then they can be rebuilt without the millstone of Unions, heathcare and retirement costs around their necks. We can build competitive companies that produce great vehicles at inexpensive prices. I think the car companies need a clean slate, not a bailout.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
It was put to me last night by a friend that the Government won't let Detroit fail because if when we go to war with China, we'll need those factories to be pumping out weapons.
I

Very, very insightful point. You will hear from those that think you are crazy for saying, but you MUST think this way.

Friendchicken

Welcome to 65 years ago. Do you honestly think they will ask GM/Ford to make bombs and planes off the same assembly line as the Cobalt/Focus? LOL

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member

So...wouldn't you want them to fail, to empty out those factories so they could be used for other things? :poke:

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member

Not going to happen, with China at least. China is officially our sugar daddy.

I think they will get a bailout but that a merger will definitely be needed somewhere along the line.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
the gov't will bail out americas auto manufacturers because it is a national security issue just like the energy crisis we face is a national security issue. the airline industry will be next......

all of this fallout is a result of the domino effect that started with the the sub-prime meltdown. people getting loans who can't repay them and the banks that lent them the money are resposnsible for all of these problems. as a result the credit and banking system are getting a major overhaul in order to try and prevent this from ever happening again because if americas economy fails our national security is compromised.

Last edited:

2003 Silver

Banned
the gov't will bail out americas auto manufacturers because it is a national security issue just like the energy crisis we face is a national security issue. the airline industry will be next......

all of this fallout is a result of the domino effect that started with the the sub-prime meltdown. people getting loans who can't repay them and the banks that lent them the money are resposnsible for all of these problems. as a result the credit and banking system are getting a major overhaul in order to try and prevent this from ever happening again because if americas economy fails our national security is compromised.

Not sure I'm following the national security part of your post...:shrug:

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
A bailout for the automakers would be worse then for the banks at least banks have a chance to make some money back. American car makers have no chance at all. Even if they get bailed out now, what happens down the road when the same thing happens.
banks just started to make bad loans , the US car makers have been making garbage for a lifetime.
Sadly i have very strong family ties to a few general motors employees and now how they blow money.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
I think this is a lose...lose situation, because I know our government is going to bail them out and they'll probably mess up once again. I hope they learn from this one and rethink their strategy and put some emphasis on quality as well.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
they will get a bailout but how long will it last? give them anouther 6 months maybe a year but I doubt it and they will be in the same situation all over again. without people having faith in the economy or being able to get loans to buy cars what good is a bailout?

there are 2 people to blame in all of this.

1. us for not buying American and keeping them in business and keeping Americans employeed. In turn those Americans turn around and buy more American stuff, boosting the economy.

2. the auto companies for not building a better product and making Americans want to buy it. If they gave us a better, more fuel efficient, affordable auto then they wouldnt have this problem. I remember 10 years ago when a buddy bought a fully loaded gt for 19k now you cant look at one for less then 30k.

Users who are viewing this thread