Going from Gen 1 MGW to MGW race spec worth it?

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
Whats up everyone. Well I was looking at some other forums and recently discovered that MGW is not making a race spec shifter for the 11-14 cars. I bought my gen 1 in Octtober (not knowing a better version would be available). Anyways, would it be worth spending he money(again) and buying the better shifter along with the hassle of installing it? I kind of hate that it still doesn't feel 100% solid, such as a t56, but it is definitely light years ahead of the crappy stock unit. Anyone else have one? I still get locked out of third from time to time also. Thanks

scott_0

Established Member
I'd say it would be worth it, the race spec seems to really tighten the mt82 up further, from those that have it already are saying. I have one but I've yet to install it

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The race spec is an order of magnitude better than any other shifter on the market, including MGW's previous efforts. They were offering a trade-in program recently. You should call them next week to see if that is still going on.

theACE

Established Member
I just went from Gen 1 MGW to the Race Spec, install was easy BTW.

It totally changes the MT82, shifting is perfect be it an upshift or a downshift. I don't miss any gears, unless it's my fault. It feels a lot more mechanical, but I like it.

Best upgrade I've ever done to my car.

syclone50

Established Member
I just started the install on my race spec from the gen1 shifter. I will report back once it is complete

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This is the true first generation MGW MT-82 shifter.

MGW2-065-edit.jpg

toomnymods

Established Member
difference is night and day.. I love the racespec.. only downside is I didn't get a new shiftboot with my racespec kit.. are we supposed to reuse the old shift boot that doesn't fit the racespec properly??

syclone50

Established Member
difference is night and day.. I love the racespec.. only downside is I didn't get a new shiftboot with my racespec kit.. are we supposed to reuse the old shift boot that doesn't fit the racespec properly??

Hey I didn't notice my racespec didn't come with a boot. I sent it with my gen 1 I sold.

I did notice this though during my install today. One of the white bushings was shattered when I removed the bubble wrap. I have no idea how it could even happen but it did. MGW is closed till the 5th so I will have to wait till then to get a replacement. I tried emailing them and the email came back "undeliverable" WTF!

20141231_133541.gif

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

You reuse the stock boot with the Race Spec, not the old MGW one.

Hey I didn't notice my racespec didn't come with a boot. I sent it with my gen 1 I sold.

I did notice this though during my install today. One of the white bushings was shattered when I removed the bubble wrap. I have no idea how it could even happen but it did. MGW is closed till the 5th so I will have to wait till then to get a replacement. I tried emailing them and the email came back "undeliverable" WTF!

20141231_133541.gif

Wow. Was the box damaged? Those bushings are tough, it must have taken a lot of force to shatter it.

What email address did you use?

Just like the one on my car now. The race spec is in a box sitting next to my replacement MT-82.
Sid, where is the install video located?

[video=youtube;eegv7GaiQDE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eegv7GaiQDE[/video]

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
I guess I have the remade first gen with swapable support bushings. Guess Ill call them the fifth. I loooove the mechanical feeling of the older cars. I love a clunky transmission lol.

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member

20141231_133541.gif
Same with my rear bushing. I went to grease mine and the "collar/lip" was broken off from the rest of the bushing.

scott_0

Established Member

Same with my rear bushing. I went to grease mine and the "collar/lip" was broken off from the rest of the bushing.

well shit! I better have a look at mine tonight when I get in from work, luckily I havent installed it yet

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I guess I have the remade first gen with swapable support bushings. Guess Ill call them the fifth. I loooove the mechanical feeling of the older cars. I love a clunky transmission lol.

If it has the removable gold plate on the bottom it's the 2014 revision. There was a change in design in 2013 too. This is MGW's 4th MT-82 shifter.

hand-filer

Established Member
I wonder if the rear mount could have been revised to have forward facing slots rather than holes? Then you could just slide it in from the rear. Adding a slight counter bore to the slot would index the washer and nut insuring that it all stays put once installed.

hand-filer

Established Member
Wow. Was the box damaged? Those bushings are tough, it must have taken a lot of force to shatter it.

It was -15 F when mine was delivered. I just went out to the shop to check mine and it's all good. Hard to comprehend how they could break like that but there are 2 examples of failure now.
Having said that, the attention to detail from design, assembly and packaging is something to be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread