Going from Gen 1 MGW to MGW race spec worth it?

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
It was -15 F when mine was delivered. I just went out to the shop to check mine and it's all good. Hard to comprehend how they could break like that but there are 2 examples of failure now.
Having said that, the attention to detail from design, assembly and packaging is something to be appreciated.
I agree their packing is second to none. This is George's reply on facebook:
call us monday and we will get some sent right out....it is a problem with shipping and we are working on a fix. ups has been throwing them around pretty badly. even with the packing the trauma can crack them...those bushings are VERY hard ertalyte themral bearing material but they are brittle. they will have no issues in the car because there is no shock in that way ....

by9468840

Established Member
is the race spec now officially available? still nothing on mgw website. I was in their special "pre sale" list back in mid December but couldnt arrante the funds for payment. now waiting for the next chance

syclone50

Established Member
It is available now.

I would think the cold didn't help. Believe me I was VERY surprised to see the bushing in pieces given how well they packaged it.

I will give them a call Monday and get some ordered. I was worried they wouldn't believe me and think I did something to break it.

scott_0

Established Member
I didn't see any foam other than the thin stuff. Does anyone have a pic. of the foam for the pivot cup?
checked mine last night (I havent installed it yet) and my bushings are fine, mine had thin foam only too, but it was packed as such that the rod wouldn't be able to move much at all

Last edited:

nyuk98GT

Established Member
01slowbra46:

Another option is to install the MGW stainless bushings in the stock shifter support rod at the transmission end. This stiffens up the support rod quite a lot. It may not be a solid as the big square support bar in the race spec but it is much better than stock. If you don't take your car to the track much, you may want to call MGW - George says the non-race spec shifters are 'enough' for 80% of the shifting public!

Just food for thought....

Chris

nyuk98GT

Established Member
is the race spec now officially available? still nothing on mgw website. I was in their special "pre sale" list back in mid December but couldnt arrante the funds for payment. now waiting for the next chance

I don't think that the website is updated. MGW has a facebook page and some videos (posted in this thread). Call Julie or Debbie and they will take your order until the website is ready to go.

Chris

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
01slowbra46:

Another option is to install the MGW stainless bushings in the stock shifter support rod at the transmission end. This stiffens up the support rod quite a lot. It may not be a solid as the big square support bar in the race spec but it is much better than stock. If you don't take your car to the track much, you may want to call MGW - George says the non-race spec shifters are 'enough' for 80% of the shifting public!

Just food for thought....

Chris

I can tell you that the 2014 Revision MGW Shifter with bronze bushings is second only to the Race Spec.

syclone50

Established Member
I just called MGW and explained to them the problem with my broken bushing. They are sending me out a new one today!

Thanks MGW, great company

scott_0

Established Member
I have no experience with the previous MGW but I installed my race spec last night, simply an amazing piece! if you can swing the big price tag, by all means, do it!!!!!!!

80KM2E

Established Member
Just ordered the 2014 revision MGW for my '14 GT. I don't plan on going to the track & would just like a better driving / shifting experience. I decided the Race Spec will probably be overkill for street, plus it's much more expensive. So the money I'll save will be going to a stainless steel clutch line, DOT4 swap & MT fluid swap to the Amsoil Synchromesh MTF (It's colder where I live) I am expecting once I do all this that it will make the driving experience much better.

KonaFifty

Established Member
once you go race-spec...you won't go back...

don't let the name fool you...race spec is just a name...it is also not overkill on the street...i have only had it on for a day and it is the best MT82 shifter to date (better than the old MGW shifter).

80KM2E

Established Member
They dropped the price on the standard MGW so I went with that since the RaceSpec is VERY expensive & even more for me with the CAD/USD conversion lately.. I'd be paying more than $600 out of pocket for it !! Might as well get a whole new tranny if you need a band-aid that expensive to fix the MT82.. Besides, I've been happy with the stock shifter anyways so I'm sure the regular MGW will be a whole different world of greatness.

Users who are viewing this thread