Going from Gen 1 MGW to MGW race spec worth it?

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
They have scratch/dent units on Ebay for $199 at the moment, the original design.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
They have scratch/dent units on Ebay for $199 at the moment, the original design.

I know, I bought one of them. I actually got it from Steve I think.?. That was the email which I communicated with them with anyway. After install, granted I haven't been able to hit it really hard as it started snowing while I was installing it, the best analogy I can use is this; In the words of General Patton, If I could find the SOB who designed this bracket I'd pin a medal on him. That bracket is THE ANSWER to all the crappy shifting issues in the MT82. Some folks I've read complain about a slight vibration after install......puh-lease. You're bolting the friggin thing to the tranny directly there's going to be some increased feel.....it's more than worth the feel it achieves. I can't speak well enough about it. After installing it and feeling the shifts that I've been looking for (and unable to find) I would have paid 5 times the price. I've been disappointed with the missed shifts to say the least, and I was really disappointed in the MGW shifter......I really thought it was going to be the solution and honestly think while an improvement over the stock unit, it's not worth the price. If it wasn't so much work, I'd take the MGW off and feel the setup with just the Blowfish bracket and truly believe that it alone would create the feel I was hunting.

The bottom line is, the Blowfish bracket is the best thing since sliced bread when bolted onto that mt82. I don't think anything else could make a better feeling shift, and surely nothing can for the price I paid. I would suggest that someone just into the search for better shifts started with the bracket, and then moved up to a new shifter afterwards. If nothing else, find someone who has one and see if you can drive it to feel the difference. It is night and day.

hand-filer

Established Member
How much is Steve paying you?

I know, I bought one of them. I actually got it from Steve I think.?. That was the email which I communicated with them with anyway. After install, granted I haven't been able to hit it really hard as it started snowing while I was installing it, the best analogy I can use is this; In the words of General Patton, If I could find the SOB who designed this bracket I'd pin a medal on him. That bracket is THE ANSWER to all the crappy shifting issues in the MT82. Some folks I've read complain about a slight vibration after install......puh-lease. You're bolting the friggin thing to the tranny directly there's going to be some increased feel.....it's more than worth the feel it achieves. I can't speak well enough about it. After installing it and feeling the shifts that I've been looking for (and unable to find) I would have paid 5 times the price. I've been disappointed with the missed shifts to say the least, and I was really disappointed in the MGW shifter......I really thought it was going to be the solution and honestly think while an improvement over the stock unit, it's not worth the price. If it wasn't so much work, I'd take the MGW off and feel the setup with just the Blowfish bracket and truly believe that it alone would create the feel I was hunting.

The bottom line is, the Blowfish bracket is the best thing since sliced bread when bolted onto that mt82. I don't think anything else could make a better feeling shift, and surely nothing can for the price I paid. I would suggest that someone just into the search for better shifts started with the bracket, and then moved up to a new shifter afterwards. If nothing else, find someone who has one and see if you can drive it to feel the difference. It is night and day.

toomnymods

Established Member
Lol your nuts if you think that the blowfish bracket is any comparison to the racespec, lol i find this quite comical. I had both and im using racespec..

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Lol your nuts if you think that the blowfish bracket is any comparison to the racespec, lol i find this quite comical. I had both and im using racespec..

Well I guess we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we. I personally found the MGW shifter lacking for it cost and how much people rave about it. I called MGW directly, spoke to a very nice lady named Debbie about some questions I had and she said I could leave my number to be called or email to get those questions answered. I chose to email as I figured they had their hands full with the 3 week wait time for the new Race Spec shifter. My email went unanswered. So, the 3 week wait was strike one, the unanswered email was strike 2, and the price was strike 3 for me on the Race Spec. The reason I have posted what I have is so that other people who search the net for hours on end as I did in regards to finding a solution to my dislike of the factory shifter and will have the ability to see that perhaps MGW wasn't the be all end all solution that it appears to be based on the threads out there. That's what is so great about the net and online forums, you can find opposing opinions on products of any and all kinds. Of course, then there are those who don't respect the opinions of others simply because they disagree since it doesn't fall into line with what they believe. That's where the person reading the thread gets to be the judge and decide for themselves.

How much is Steve paying you?
I have never met Steve, and never prior to or after purchase spoken to him. The only reason I know that his name is Steve is because after trying to contact him through their company website contact form we determined that their site form had a malfunction and he gave me an email address that was Steve@...... I assume that his name is Steve based on that and that alone. For all I know it could be a woman named Joan on the other end. Either way it wouldn't make a lick of difference to me. The bottom line is that I have a 2013 GT and I despised the way the shifting felt. I bought and installed the MGW thinking it would solve my problem, and it didn't. While it was an improvement, it was not the end all be all that it seemed everyone claimed it was. Hence I was disappointed in what I thought would solve my problem and didn't. Instead of throwing MGW a small fortune for the Race Spec, I opted to try the bracket. I actually learned of the bracket on this forum, in a thread discussing NVH associated with the installation of the bracket. I then so happened to stumble on the listing on eBay and decided I'd rather take a $200 chance than spend another $500 for another new shifter. I then write a review about the product that did exactly what I wanted, which was gave me the feel of the old T5 trans, and within 30 minutes people assume that I'm a paid spokesman or "nuts" because I am willing to stand up and say I don't find the MGW all that great and that the bracket solved my issue. I guess my thoughts on online forums and what they are for are vastly different that some other people who seem to believe that they are for nothing more than blasting out their own opinion and slamming anything that doesn't agree with them. Chances are, that is the one and only transaction I'll ever have with Blowfish, but I was completely satisfied and thought they deserved to be recognized for their achievement.

Last edited:

80KM2E

Established Member
Can you install the blowfish with the MGW? since MGW uses a 2 post bracket. Haven't looked much into the Blowfish... Like I said previously though, the MGW for me works great. Might add their 20$ bushing upgrade for linkage arm and do a whiteline bushing insert. If the blowfish can work with all this that would be cool. ALL THE MT82 BANDAIDS!!

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Yes, the Blowfish works with the old MGW shifters, but not the Race Spec. It wouldn't do anything if you could add it with the Race Spec as the point of the Race Spec shifter is the same as the bracket, it's just achieved slightly differntly. On mine, the Blowfish is installed with the Gen 2 Blowfish bracket. From what I've read, the bushing from whiteline is unnecessary when using a solid mount. The Blowfish bracket does retain the MGW rear bushing mount to bolt onto the upper bracket. You also end up with an NHRA legal driveshaft loop with the bracket.

SS lol

Established Member
I would love a race spec but will probably just pair a blowfish bracket with my MGW.

That would work great. I already had a barton shifter for a couple years and just recently bought a blowfish bracket and love it. Your setup would probably be even better with the two rubber bushings sitting on top the bracket.

evanjp

Established Member
To the guy literally having an orgasm over the blowfish bracket, the race spec does the same thing but it's a much better design. Blowfish+MGW (just shifter) is more money than the race spec. The blowfish doesn't come with dynamat or insulation or that other stuff that sticks on to the pieces that need it. It comes with everything you need basically.

I just put an order in for mine and I can't wait to put it on my car.

beef97

Established Member
I just ordered the MGW also! I'm starting to wonder if I should get the blowfish though since apparently it does provide the sensation of multiple orgasms??

hand-filer

Established Member
To the guy literally having an orgasm over the blowfish bracket, the race spec does the same thing but it's a much better design. Blowfish+MGW (just shifter) is more money than the race spec. The blowfish doesn't come with dynamat or insulation or that other stuff that sticks on to the pieces that need it. It comes with everything you need basically.

Actually the race spec is superior to the Gen 1,2,3 MGW + Blowfish bracket. I had my MGW Gen 1 solid mounted to the driveshaft loop with an adapter plate back in 2012. I did it to isolate the shifter from the body to stop the NVH transfer from the transmission to the body. Mission accomplished in that regard but it did sweet FA in terms of making a good shifter shift better.
The weak link remains and that's the factory multiple piece shift linkage.
If you have an early version MGW shifter and are contemplating adding the Blowfish bracket I suggest selling the shifter and buying the race spec.
You'll have a superior set-up for about the same money.
Not knocking the Blowfish bracket at all because it does do what it's intended to do. It's just not the say all end all cure for shifting issues like some people have been lead to believe.

SS lol

Established Member

Sounds like you have a lot of growing up to do buddy.

SS lol

Established Member
Growing up? Excuse me?

I agree it was rude to type what I typed in my first sentence. I apologize.

The guy already put out a lot of money on the MGW shifter and putting it on the bracket would make it work like it should.

Users who are viewing this thread