Going through the traps

James Vincent

Established Member
Hey guys. I'm new here. Looking for some info. I just recently supercharged my 12 gt. Ran it at the track the other day and noticed that now it shifts fourth gear before the traps I have 3.15 gears. It use to finish in third before the blower. My question is, what rpm would it have to be at to finish in third? My motor is stock and my mph was between 123.5-125. Car is shifting at 7k. Also what the safest rpm?

5lho

Established Member
Obviously you're shifting up bc you are going much faster but, honestly, if it were my motor and I hadn't budgeted for a new engine and/or wasn't willing to risk the stocker I would not raise the rev limit under 9 psig of pressure. The motor sees that as ~23 pounds of boost pressure (9 + atmo at ~14), plus the heat of the charge so, you decide if it's worth the risk. I'd probably tire up or live with the 4th gear shift; it probably isn't costing you that much anyway.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Have you had the car dynoed? Try a smaller tire or different gears... You want to be at the top of the HP peak in whatever gear you desire when you cross the strip. Taking it past the HP peak will slow down the rate of acceleration.

Users who are viewing this thread