Going to Iraq, storage help please

87FOXGT

Established Member
Hi guys. I just recently found out that i have been called off of IRR to go to Iraq. I leave in about a month so it is time for me to set up some good storage for my beloved cobra. I will be gone for 1.5-2 years.

Here's what i plan to do so far...

I have a heated garage that the car will be kept in until i am back.

I am going to pull the wheels and tires off of the car and put it up on jack stands on the frame.

Other then that i was gonna pull the battery, and have my friend whos storing it for me start it once in every great while.

Do you guys have any other recommendations for storage so when i come back my baby is good as new?

Thanks alot your help is appreciated. :(

87FOXGT

Established Member
thanks.. i guess i was just wondering if its ok to leave the car jacked up on the frame like that, i dont see why not but i just want to make sure. i didnt want to leave it on the tires cause they would surely develop flat spots.

anything else i missed guys? any advice is appreciated. thanks in advance.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
I've been on extended deployments before. I wouldn't use jack stands in case of earth tremors, someone knocking it over, etc. This is what I did:

Fill the tires up to the max with air
Wash and wax the car
Change the Oil and top off all fluids
Put Stabil in the gas tank, oh and top off the gas tank too.
Put an Arm & Hammer box in the trunk and under the driver seat
Put tennis balls in the exhaust tips to prevent mice from getting in
unplug the battery
Put on a quality car cover
Adjust my insurance coverage

You can buy some new tires when you get back if you need too. I never had too. You will need a new battery however, the stock one will most likely be dead.

I'll see you in Iraq. I leave in November.

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Hey, I've got another bay in my garage if you need me to take it off your hands and run it a few times a month. ;-) :thumbsup:

Seriously, I would make sure a trusted loved one run your car occasionally. I left one of my cars drained and on blocks one time for storage. What a disaster. All the gaskets dried up and I had to replace a lot of hoses, gaskets, and pumps on the motor. Then again, it was in storage for 3 years.

87FOXGT

Established Member
yeah i figure once every half a year start the car up and let it idle up to operating temp for about 10-15 minutes

lutjens

Established Member
Don't forget to use some engine storage compound on the motor when it's parked and idling. Just squirt it into the air intake and it'll coat your intake valves, guides and the tops of the pistons and rings.

These parts get pretty dry when in extended storage. This stuff will protect the parts until oil pressure comes back up and is available at any auto parts store.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis
I've been on extended deployments before. I wouldn't use jack stands in case of earth tremors, someone knocking it over, etc. This is what I did:

Fill the tires up to the max with air
Wash and wax the car
Change the Oil and top off all fluids
Put Stabil in the gas tank, oh and top off the gas tank too.
Put an Arm & Hammer box in the trunk and under the driver seat
Put tennis balls in the exhaust tips to prevent mice from getting in
unplug the battery
Put on a quality car cover
Adjust my insurance coverage

You can buy some new tires when you get back if you need too. I never had too. You will need a new battery however, the stock one will most likely be dead.

I'll see you in Iraq. I leave in November.
Sounds good. I second the Stabil.

Both of you take care over there!

87FOXGT

Established Member
Thanks everyone, i will try to pick up that stabil at autozone this week. thanks again. i sure am gonna miss the snake :cryying:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
There's a device called "The extender" that you can leave plugged in that will keep your battery up. It is basically a trickle charger, but it is electronically controlled and knows exactly how much current to send, and when to stop charging. Summit racing carries them. It will extend the life of your battery, especially when sitting for a while. It will make it much easier on the person who will be starting your car for your...

ColonelMM

Established Member
yeah, I agree about not leaving it on the jack stands. Everything else looks great. Thank you for defending our country.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The draft ...er I mean IRR sucks....I was drafted last spring :)

87FOXGT

Established Member
thanks guys i will look into that trickler, i may just say screw it and get a new battery when i come home.

Stabler,

yeah i definately didnt expect to get called up, now im extended past my contract, ah well thats life i guess. stay safe man ill see you in the desert.

Users who are viewing this thread