Going to run an LS1 RX7

bugmenot

Established Member
His car will weigh right around 2700, maybe less. Depends on if he kept the power steering and AC. Also, that depends on if it is a 3rd gen. What year is the car? And he didn't do anything to the motor while it was out? How much does your car weigh?

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Agreed...

Stock those cars weighed about 2700 lbs with a tiny 1.3 rotory engine, add a massive LS1 and he'll be well over 3000 lbs unless he used some weight reduction measures. Still lighter then a Cobra but more like a ZO6 in the weight compartment. I don't know much about this guy but he probably has a lot of secrets up his sleeve if he's calling out fast Cobras and what not.

DOHC 04 SVT...How do you do against new ZO6's??? I think you have this guy, especially with what your pushing on the spray!!!

Looks like a good race..good luck!!!

Later...Dave

Doc already covered it, but I'm just confirming it: RX-7's get LIGHTER after an LS swap. The rotaries they had might be rated at 1.3 liters, but its actual volume is actually twice that, and it was HEAVY.

chrisweekspc

Established Member
His car will weigh right around 2700, maybe less. Depends on if he kept the power steering and AC. Also, that depends on if it is a 3rd gen. What year is the car? And he didn't do anything to the motor while it was out? How much does your car weigh?

My car has minimal weight reudtcion..spare tire/jack out, race wheels on the corners for this night, and that's about it. Sway bar removed, exhaust, little things that drop a few pounds here and there, but still an IRS car.

Not sure of exact weight, but you get the idea.

I'll make sure to have minimal gas in the tank :)

It's the 90's RX7, not up to date on them, but the last body style.

As for motor modifications, no idea what is done. I just know if it's as hefty as his mouth, maybe I do have something to worry about :shrug:

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Doc already covered it, but I'm just confirming it: RX-7's get LIGHTER after an LS swap. The rotaries they had might be rated at 1.3 liters, but its actual volume is actually twice that, and it was HEAVY.

Yep, a fully dressed LS1 is under 400 lbs because it's all aluminum. The 13B rotary engine and twin turbo setup isn't as light as some might think.

DouBLeJ16

Roadkill Lurker
Established Member
Are you going to race him from a stop or a roll?

I didn't know the RX-7 got lighter with a swap, that's amazing that a 5.7 is lighter than a 1.3.. Good info.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Are you going to race him from a stop or a roll?

I didn't know the RX-7 got lighter with a swap, that's amazing that a 5.7 is lighter than a 1.3.. Good info.

The entire LS1 weighs 347lbs with accessories. The rotary is a heavy unit.

bugmenot

Established Member
Its not so much the rotary is heavy as it is everything that goes with it. You need the turbos, piping, intercooler, all that. The motor itself is heavy, but when you add those things in, it turns out pretty bad.

Sounds like he had the FD, so he should weigh in at 2700 like everybody else has said. The thing with the rx-7 is it doesnt need a ton of power because it is so light. I'm pretty sure with your nitrous you could take him, but I'd be worried about him spraying. LSx motors like the spray.

chrisweekspc

Established Member
Its not so much the rotary is heavy as it is everything that goes with it. You need the turbos, piping, intercooler, all that. The motor itself is heavy, but when you add those things in, it turns out pretty bad.

Sounds like he had the FD, so he should weigh in at 2700 like everybody else has said. The thing with the rx-7 is it doesnt need a ton of power because it is so light. I'm pretty sure with your nitrous you could take him, but I'd be worried about him spraying. LSx motors like the spray.

Well, we'll see how it goes. He sounds a bit on the cocky side, so it'd be nice to pull of a win on him, but if not, it's just a car, and it's just a race. I'l' go home to my family at the end of the night and it'll be done with. It's all good fun, just keep fingers crossed that I win.

Anyone think I should go with a larger n2o jet?

bugmenot

Established Member
I hope you beat him, I don't like cocky people. Hope he is cocky enough to not think twice about what you can do to a factory blown car. I do miss my 7 small, lightweight, and fun to drive, but you could tell it was a cheap car.

On the gas you should be fine. I wouldn't up it unless you know everything you have on your car can handle it. No point in f'n something up over a race.

You going to video tape it?

chrisweekspc

Established Member
I hope you beat him, I don't like cocky people. Hope he is cocky enough to not think twice about what you can do to a factory blown car. I do miss my 7 small, lightweight, and fun to drive, but you could tell it was a cheap car.

On the gas you should be fine. I wouldn't up it unless you know everything you have on your car can handle it. No point in f'n something up over a race.

You going to video tape it?

Video tape is for sure.

As for the juice, i'll debate it between now and then, but not really sure.

The car performs well as is, and i'm starting to lean more to track duty with it, and I still have a lot of learning to do to get the car to run @ potential @ the track, so I might just leave it where it is, take small steps forward..but we'll see.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
^ why do I get the feeling you know more about this car but are reluctant to give up more info?

nighthawk355x

Banned
I'm an LSX guy...but I say tear his ass apart and rub it in his arrogant face!! :banana::rockon::burn::kaboom:

I despise cocky people. I don't care what he backs up, if he's that arrogant he should be beaten and his keys should be taken away. A tiny penis and a fast car is a combo for sh*t talking. :-D

If you hook I think you'd beat him like a baby seal. He's gonna talk power to weight ratio to you til he's blue in the face, but don't let him psyche you out. Stay focused and humble his ass.

Good luck! :beer: Post up the results cuz lord knows we're all going to be on the edge of our seats until it goes down. No pressure...:-D

oneoff

Established Member
Just be safe. If you lose, its definetly no shame in that. Those 7's are no joke. They are still my favorite cars. I will someday own one with an LS7 twin turbo or single.

Can you investigate what kind of times he has been running lately?

I might feel better running him from a dig. The light weight and incredible aerodynamics of those cars will just work in his favor. If you can pull one of those 1.5x 60' you mentioned... you could do some damage on him.

Don't feel wrong by doing some major weight reductions just for this race.... this race is anything goes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread