golf advice

bone stock

Established Member
Get a starter set. The brand won't matter until you get your fundamentals down which will probably take about ten years to get those down:read:

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Get a starter set. The brand won't matter until you get your fundamentals down which will probably take about ten years to get those down:read:

Ten years?!?!?

How much you play? It took me about 6 months (Roughly 15 full games, and (10) 100 buckets at the range)

I am by no means a great player, but I tend to keep up with most.

03TorchedMach1

Established Member
Start out with either a starter set ($199-300) or look on craigs list or something for someone who is trying to sell a used set. Start out with a 9 iron and work your way up to the driver. Start out at the driving range just trying to make contact with the ball. Don't worry about how far you hit the ball right now. There are plenty of "How to" videos online that you can watch to get a good idea of how to swing the club. If you need any help picking out a set, PM me. I work for a big retail golf shop here in Myrtle Beach, SC.

tmm47sdad

Established Member
I bought a cheap set from dick's 2yrs ago, used my father-in-laws old one's for the first 2yrs. I still suck and get very frustrated but drink alot to make it fun. I only started because my in-laws have golf outings (scrambles) with a couple of family friends. been kind of hooked since. I play a little better and a little more every year.

jf4boogie

Established Member
I dont know if anyone else mentioned it, but you'll probably want to stay with a cavity back set of irons as well b/c they are more "forgiving"

Prepare to be frustrated, but if you keep it fun and and do it to enjoy it and relax you'll have a better time. Oh, and the next time you watch the pros on TV after playing your first full round you'll have a whooole new appreciation for their skill

G/L!!

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I dont know if anyone else mentioned it, but you'll probably want to stay with a cavity back set of irons as well b/c they are more "forgiving"

Prepare to be frustrated, but if you keep it fun and and do it to enjoy it and relax you'll have a better time. Oh, and the next time you watch the pros on TV after playing your first full round you'll have a whooole new appreciation for their skill

G/L!!

Def. a good piece of advice. Anything else will be almost impossible to learn to play with.

waydeg

Established Member
Here's my advise on golf... take up bowling.:D

Take it from an old duffer.
1. Unless you can devote a serious amount of time to practice and play, don't expect to break 100+
2. If you're highly competitive and can't fulfill #1 - take up bowling.
3. At the beginner level, a $150 set of cavity backs will play just as well as a $1000 set of Pings, Taylor Mades, etc.
4. Same with balls. A sleeve of Precepts will play just as effectively as a Pro V1
5. Did I mention take up bowling?
6. I get more fun out of watching my younger brother take his golf too seriously, especially when he sees my horrible play doesn't phase me a bit.
(Especially when I drop the rare 50 foot put out of blind luck!)
BTW - My father is 84 and regularly shoots his age at the club he joined 48 years ago!

Users who are viewing this thread