Good cordless impact wrench..for a decent price

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Hey folks just seeing if anyone has had any luck with cordless impact wrenchs. Ive been looking for a few at Sears for under 150 bucks. I have an air compressor and will buy an air gun eventually but I will be working on my current motor late at night and early in the mornign hours and since our garage is connected to the basement I wanna try and keep the noise down. So let me know what you guys have had luck with.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Not sure on their quality, check out what Harbor Freight has.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hunt93FiveO

Waiting
Established Member
Snap on's cordless 1/2 drive works wonders. Strong enough to do my whole rearend job.
Which was taking my tires off and putting them back on and crushing the crush sleeve without a problem.
But the 3/8 one takes tires off just fine.

Edit: I meant "1/2" on the first one not 3/8.

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
I have the 19.2V Craftsman one, about as good as you're going to get for 1/2" chuck and cordless. If you take your wheels on and off regularly, taking off the lug nuts for 2 wheels or so with a full charge is about its max "balls." Keep in mind, even cordless isn't terribly quiet.

Most of us in the industry use 3/8" and 1/2" impact cordless for speed working in/around the engine bay, not necessarily torque.

k_aimone

Established Member
Not sure on their quality, check out what Harbor Freight has.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I got mine for $100.00 from HF three years ago and haven't had a problem yet. I have taken it to the track and used one battery on five sets of rear wheels on a single charge.

I would buy the same one again

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the 19.2V Craftsman one, about as good as you're going to get for 1/2" chuck and cordless. If you take your wheels on and off regularly, taking off the lug nuts for 2 wheels or so with a full charge is about its max "balls." Keep in mind, even cordless isn't terribly quiet.

Most of us in the industry use 3/8" and 1/2" impact cordless for speed working in/around the engine bay, not necessarily torque.

I have this one with the lithium ion batteries and they last a long ass time. It has more torque than the air powered 1/2" impact that came with my craftsman air compressor. Not being for real heavy use I like mine a lot

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Yeah I was gonna check harbor freight but after dealing with some of the jacks and cherry pickers I was a little leery of them. I wanted to use it to tear my engine down....those head bolts gonna need some trq to come out lol.

Sent with Tapatalk2 while watching chicks get naked.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a MATCO 1/2" and I jsut picked up the Craftman C3 1/2". Gotta say, for about a third of the price, the Craftsman one is pretty impessive. Someone posted a thread on it here a few months ago, and I tried it, I was very impressed.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a blue point 3/8" electric impact gun I use at work. I could not afford the Snap-On version. The batteries last a good while and it is plenty strong for what I need it for. BTW I paid a little less than $250 for it.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
1/2 craftsman. i got the impact wrench and battery for $80 around this time last year, the black friday sale. its been A+ so far for me

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Yeah I'm trying to avoid matco and snap on just because of the price range they fall in.

testorossa1989

Established Member
the harbor freight one wasnt even able to crack the nuts on my wheels. Id suggest spending the extra coin and getting something decent. Im pretty sure the guns only rated for 75lb but can only crack like 65< so i really wouldnt waste your time on those. When you find a good one by all means tell me im interest too

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Took a quick glance at the car&driver link posted...some good info there. Hopefully 350ftlbs should be enough to break free some stubborn headbolts lol

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Ignore all the snap on and Matco nutswingers.

Don't get me wrong, they're great tools. But unless you are making your living using them, you don't need them.

Get a HF or other store brand cordless, it'll be fine.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Ignore all the snap on and Matco nutswingers.

Don't get me wrong, they're great tools. But unless you are making your living using them, you don't need them.

Get a HF or other store brand cordless, it'll be fine.

I make my living using them, and still don't need them. I've been 4 generations of die-hard Craftsman and have been really depressed lately at the downturn in customer service and quality, but I still can't justify the huge Snap On prices. Sure, they have some ergo stuff and specialty stuff that I've bought because Craftsman simply doesn't make it, but that's about it.

Case and point:
Snap-On funnel that, at the base, threads into Honda/Acura valve cover oil fill holes. Really useful because then you have no hands on the funnel on cars that need to be filled by hand (RDX, etc.).

$22.95 plus tax.

WTF>>>>

As far as the comment stronger than the Craftsman 1/2" pneumatic that came in the kit - hell yes, but that one sucks really bad.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Milwaukee 1/2 here that I picked up on the clearance table at Home Cheapo with warranty and all. Does everything and more and the Li batteries hold up awesome. We also have the 1/2 Makitas at work and I almost like them more because they are a bit lighter. Both are great and would be worth spending the extra coin imho.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
I make my living using them, and still don't need them. I've been 4 generations of die-hard Craftsman and have been really depressed lately at the downturn in customer service and quality, but I still can't justify the huge Snap On prices. Sure, they have some ergo stuff and specialty stuff that I've bought because Craftsman simply doesn't make it, but that's about it.

Case and point:
Snap-On funnel that, at the base, threads into Honda/Acura valve cover oil fill holes. Really useful because then you have no hands on the funnel on cars that need to be filled by hand (RDX, etc.).

$22.95 plus tax.

WTF>>>>

As far as the comment stronger than the Craftsman 1/2" pneumatic that came in the kit - hell yes, but that one sucks really bad.

I agree completely, their prices are absolutely ridiculous.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
My craftsmen 1/2 is great, but spend the extra and get the lithium battery as they really last longer with the impact.

Users who are viewing this thread