good deal???

outlaw163

Established Member
i found a 1993 cobra w/70k miles for sale, the guy is asking 8,700 for it. It needs a new wheel, repair colum, steering wheel, and roof needs to be painted. good deal yes or no?

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by outlaw163
title is clean milage i dunno im gonna check it out...

The title can be clean. But is it a stolen recovery? Broken wheel and steering column sounds like it was stolen. Just curious.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
The reason I asked is because if it was stolen, there is no telling what was done to it. Is that the least they'll take for it? They are sweet cars.

buddha93

Established Member
I wouldn't say it's a good deal, but it's not a bad deal. The left wheel is hard if not impossible to find, unless you buy a whole set....over a grand if they are new. If the column is broken, it sounds as if it was stolen. Looks as if it needs tires, a radio, and the cup under the radio.

It does appear to be an all original car, and it looks pretty clean on the inside....can't tell for sure. You could easily put 2k into between new tires, a wheel, painting the top of the car, and all of the miscellaneous stuff.

The miles are decent if you can verify them. To me, it would be worth $8000. That's 700 less that could at least put a good set of tires all the way around the car.;-)

buddha93

Established Member
Well, that's what I was getting at in my last post. A lot of the parts for these cars are obsolete, or very hard to find.....and everyone wants top dollar for them.

As far as interior pieces, that shouldn't be a problem. There were only a couple of items in the interior that were Cobra specific, such as the radio or the floor mats that came with the car.

As far as the guys asking price, I'd work on him. Just for comparison, there is a black Cobra in my area for sale for $8700 with simialar miles, but needs less work. On the otherhand, I've seen rolling Cobras with no drivetrain sell for $5000.

The bottom line if looking for an original Cobra is:

Does it have all of the matching VIN tags on the body panels?
Does it have the original drivetrain?

Those in my opinion are the 2 most important things to look for, and easy to spot. Also, whats been done to the car is important. Hopefully it hasn't been hacked on or modded in way that the car can't be put back to oringinal.

If your just looking to get into one, buy it and fix it as you go. It really doesn't look like it needs that much.....I've seen much worse.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I would think that it is a decent deal. If it was for sale around here, it would be gone quick at that price. If you got it for 8K and fixed everything, I would say it would be worth around 12K if everything was original.

QuickStangs

Established Member
The car looks like it's in good shape I would talk him down to 7K. Make sure it's the real thing and check the vin on the body panels. If everything looks good go for it. This cars are becomming more rare everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread