good microwave entree?

SNK BITN

Established Member
Is there such thing as one? I'm trying to save money by eating microwave entrees instead of eating out for lunch. These Banquet microwave dinners taste awful. The nuggets taste like clay and I think the macaroni was mixed with sand and rocks. Any of you tried a microwave dinner that actually tasted good? I'm on a budget so I'm not trying to spend $5 per entree, I may as well go to McD's and get something I like.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by SNK BITN
Is there such thing as one? I'm trying to save money by eating microwave entrees instead of eating out for lunch. These Banquet microwave dinners taste awful. The nuggets taste like clay and I think the macaroni was mixed with sand and rocks. Any of you tried a microwave dinner that actually tasted good? I'm on a budget so I'm not trying to spend $5 per entree, I may as well go to McD's and get something I like.

Cook enough the night before so you have lunch the next day. Also, microwave/frozen dinners have horrible amounts of sodium and nutritional value is a joke.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I don't think there is such a thing...they're too expensive too

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
id say the $1 menu at wendy's or the Healthy CHoice dinner that a salsbury steak, with corn and mashed potatoes....that healthy choice dinner is the SHIT, its the only one besides the pizza i get.....im in college so ive tried quite a few =0]

SNK BITN

Established Member
Thank you greensnake, I'll try that. I cant always make it out to lunch so sometimes I got to eat at my desk. I usually buy 5 entrees and leave them in the freezer at work. If I make a lunch in the morning, 90% of the time I forget it on the counter :(

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
You can never go wrong with peanut butter and jelly. :thumbsup:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Boston Market has this frozen thing with turkey "medallions" and mashed potates...its pretty good...well I like it anyway

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
The best microwave dinners I've had are Marie Collanders (sp?). I haven't had one yet that didn't taste pretty decent.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraHopeful
The best microwave dinners I've had are Marie Collanders (sp?). I haven't had one yet that didn't taste pretty decent.
Those are pretty good. In my earlier days when I was on a major budget, read no money, I used to buy canned food and eat that. Cheaper and quicker to make in the microwave than frozen foods and it tastes OK. That and ramen is what I lived on for a long time.

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Try this:

Buy some of the Budding or other brand luncheon meats. Ham, turkey, pastrami, etc. These are 2.5 oz. packages with about 5-7 grams of fat, so they are not real bad for you. Get one of the Fresh Express salads of mixed spring greens and some decent tomatos, prefferably home grown. Also get some alfalfa sprouts and some Ms. Dash as well as some Pepperidge Farms 9 grain bread.

Put about 1 tsp of mayo on each slice of bread and stick together and put in it's own sandwich bag. Slice the tomato as thin as you can, season with salt and pepper, and put 6-8 slices in it's own sandwich bag. Put enough greens and sprouts in another sandwich bag and season liberally with Ms. Dash. At lunch, assemble your sandwich.

This sandwich is healthy and costs less than a buck if you get the meat on sale, yet is as good as many of the $7 sandwiches you get from "upscale" sandwich shops.

I've had to learn healthy alternatives because my wife developed diabetes. I would be happy to help with good healthy recipes if you would like them. Just let me know what you would like to see.
:)

GoatDaddy

ALex and Eddy nailed it: popcorn and Healthy choice (only you'll need at least 2 HC entrees).
Greensnake: which college?

SohowcomeHottie

SVT Goddess
Established Member
Originally posted by 97greensnake
id say the $1 menu at wendy's or the Healthy CHoice dinner that a salsbury steak, with corn and mashed potatoes....that healthy choice dinner is the SHIT, its the only one besides the pizza i get.....im in college so ive tried quite a few =0]

I love healthy choice and weight watchers smart ones, both have decent flavor for microwave meals and are healthy for ya :)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I made a nice scallop scampi and fresh ceasar salad tonight. But none of the was done in the microwave. Total cost was around $9

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
I made a nice scallop scampi and fresh ceasar salad tonight. But none of the was done in the microwave. Total cost was around $9
Yeah...I made grilled swordfish steak with steamed baby veggies and a hot wilted shrimp-spinach salad with Mandarin oranges last night. Total of 10 grams of fat, 40 grams of carbs, but was very filling. Veggies were baby carrots, broccoli and baby yellow squash. Could have cut the fat further, but used a touch of lemon-butter on the swordfish for flavor!

Users who are viewing this thread