got a 2002...need help w/mods!

Gambinotdx

Established Member
hello everyone! i just put my deposit down for a 2002 red L and want to toy around with it but here's the problem...I'm not very knowledged in the field of engines and what not. i was wondering what i could do to get it a little faster than a stock L cause what fun is stock?! i read about the air filters, spark plugs, etc. how about some nasty lookin hoods? also i wanted to drop a nice stereo in it and due to limited space behind the seats it doesn't look like there are many options so i was wondering what you all do to make her sound nice. any help is greatly appreciated...this is my first vehicle that i can call my own and i am ready to modify. thank you all! one last thing...is there anyone in central/northern nj who would be interested in driving around and humiliating bmws, camaros, and boxsters when i get my L? i'd also like to take a look at some of the mods you have all done if you're in my area...

Last edited:

foreverford

Established Member
JDM Engineering: (732)-780-0770
Those are the people to ask.
Gambinotdx, If I may ask, how much are the 02's going for $$$$:D and what are the differences from the 01 L?:-?

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
Welcome to the 2nd Gen Forum and congrats on the new ride. If you want to see some of the mods I've done check out my web site (link below)

Gambinotdx

Established Member
well when i ordered the 2002 they put down the price of the 2001 and wrote "subject to change for 2002 increase"...she said it should only be like 400 bucks more than the 2001. as far as the changes are concerned it is information even the dealer supposedly doesn't know. she said they will probably up the horsepower by 15 or 20 and no body changes are being made. now i have looked everywhere for info on the 2002. i read somewhere, though not sure if its true, that it will have 5 more horsepower and different wheels. that's all i heard. i test drove one and fell i love. i didn't get a 2001 because i have no money for a down payment right now but come march or april i'll have plenty. thank you for your responses. are you all in the nloc? i was curious...also are there gatherings in nj anywhere? thanks for the info!

hdmlnium

Established Member
Gambinotdx welcome,
You can look at the mods in my signature, I also have some stereo mods in there as well and it sounds pretty good.
Bill

CrazyAsian

Established Member
All I have to say is that since there is no 12 step program for us heavy modders, please beware of the addictive nature that comes with modding :)

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
CrazyAsian - LOL. We don't need no stinkin 12 steps. Before you can recover you have to admit you have a problem. :D

This truck has been good for my social life. I've gotten to know the UPS guy by his first name and he and his family will be coming by for Thanksgiving...........:block:

Last edited:

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Gambino welcome aboard mate

How far are you from Freehold? Thats where Jim@JDM is located.
I drove 5 hours to get him to tune my truck and it was well worth it. He is a awsome guy, and knows more about the Lightnings than anyone I know.

here is where I put my CD changer
CDChanger-vi.jpg

here is my photo album take a look
http://public.fotki.com/dhco/

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Gambino,

Yeah I am over @ NLOC, but the people here are way cooler............. I wish I had the $$$ for a '02 you lucky dog.............

-zach

2FAST4U

I'll Be Back!!!
Established Member
Gambinotdx,

Welcome to the Lightning community!!! You will enjoy your new ride A LOT!!!

There was a .pdf file from Downs Ford in NJ that had the standard equipment for the 2002. What I found wierd that the file had a "*" which was suppose to indicate new equipment for this model year and they were the same as 2001. This made me believe that they were not gonna release a Lightning in 2002. I guess I was wrong. Here is the link for the .pdf file. You have to the acrobat reader from Adobe.

It also says that the horepower will not change for 2002.

http://www.downsford.com/order_guides/2002F150SVT.pdf

nyctrashguy

Established Member
Welcome Gambino,

Theres a bunch of L's in ny/nj area on these boards,
i havent been to any meets yet,but they had one in paramus
a few months ago and there was supposed to be another
one sept 9 i havent heard anything about though dont know if
still on?

Gambinotdx

Established Member
paramus isn't far for me...hell to modify this thing i'll drive it anywhere i need to. i just want to make sure she flies like the wind. do you guys recommend a JDM air filter kit over K&N? also for the stereos, mine comes with a disc changer already. its the subs and amps i am worried about placement of. any recommedations on that and head units? one other thing...i am seeing these 1/4 times anywhere from 12-13's. what are your 0-60 times out of curiousity. i wanted to get mine down to about 5 flat. i've never done racing at a track so i'm new at this but i am guessing the 0-60 time for you guys means nothing..to me its still a big deal hehe so i was wondering if you guys know your 0-60 times. thank you all! i'll be caught up and racing in no time with all your help! much appreciated!

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Originally posted by CrazyAsian
All I have to say is that since there is no 12 step program for us heavy modders, please beware of the addictive nature that comes with modding :)

RAOTFLMAO!!! Thanks Flasvt.....Dan

Gambinotdx

Established Member
2FAST4U

2fast4u!!!!!!!! thank you so much for that link. i had no idea it came in true blue metallic clearcoat!!! that was my first preference for the color. i called tom's ford and they said changing the color wouldn't be a problem. thanks again man. as far as becoming addicted...i already am. i'm not getting this truck for another 6 or 7 months and i am already shopping all over the internet for things to add on. how about the exhaust? i want something louder...real throaty so they can hear me comin from blocks away...what do you suggest? i don't want to lose hp though...do chips or any other of these mods hurt the engine over the long term? i want to keep this baby for a while...thanks for the help.

2FAST4U

I'll Be Back!!!
Established Member
Not a prob man!!! Always happy to help out future L owners!!!

The exhaust will not add you any HP nor will it take away from the existing HP. I have the Borla, but I really want the Bassani full meal deal setup. It sounds awesome!!! It is a little on the expensive side for just sound though, it runs around $1500-$1700 for the full deal, which includes headers, cats, mufflers, X-pipe, and larger tips.

As far as your chip question. All of us have not really seen any bad things brought on by the chip, and then again the average miles we have is around 20,000. I have 11,900 on my L.
With the mods that I have in my sig with the help of some ET streets I am looking at times around 12.70 or so. We will see. These trucks LOVE cool weather because of the S/C. Humidity is an Ls worst enemy!! I know this because a month ago when all I had was a 90mm MAF, flip chip and oil breather I was only running a 13.90 average when this trucks best time with those mods was a [email protected].

I would try to hook up with Jim at JDM, and ask him everything want to know about these trucks. I know, you don't OFFICIALLY have her yet, but he loves to talk about these trucks and knows everything about them from the inside out.

I could go on for hours about what you could do to your L.

I will tell you this, a word to the wise type of statement. Pick your service dealer with care, make sure they are mod friendly, because all it takes it a mod that does not come off that easy and a mean ford tech void your warranty. I am not telling you this to scare you about modding your truck, because most of us if not all of us still have our warranties, but warranty service is on a dealer to dealer basis, they can refuse you service or in the worst case void your warranty.

I hope I helped you out a little.

Kyle

Gambinotdx

Established Member
2fast4u...thank you for the help..your truck is simply gorgeous. i will check with the dealer if things like the exhaust will void the warranty. the chip i can just pop out so i'm not too worried about that one. now seeing that you run incredible times in the 1/4 i have to ask if you don't mind...what's the total cost on all your mods? and with a 1/4 mile at that time what cars on the street can actually take you in a red light drag? M3? ZO6? Viper GTS? i mean these are disgustingly fast cars! the L is simply a wonder of the world. i love it! thanks for all the info.

2FAST4U

I'll Be Back!!!
Established Member
Gambinotdx,

I will tell you now and not pull your chain that JDM is a little more expensive than the other tuners but his products and knowledge of these trucks is top knotch!!!

I have a total of around $4200.00 in mods!!!! That is all cosmetic and performance mods.

There isn't much out there that can beat me, I don't like bragging, but facts are facts. I raced a guy at work a couple of months ago who has a Z06 and he spun real bad and I whooped his ass!!! Those cars are hard to beat, but it can be done!!!

I don't get to race much because I live out in the boonies and there are not to many exotics, but mustangs and Craparo Super Slows are everywhere.

One guy at work who has a Camaro SS told me he would hand me my a$$ and I said "bring it". After work all he saw were my tail lights getting farther and farther away from him!!!!

I think the time and money I have put in this truck in three months was well worth the look on the faces of Camaro and mustang drivers when you chirp those tires and you are longggg ggggone!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread