got a 2002...need help w/mods!

1PT21GW

Established Member
Here is what is funny about L's....

We dont argue a lot about mods, Just HOW MANY we got! Maybe occassionally a chip, but the only thing that will really yank everyone's chain is when we start talkin' colors and who is the fastest. Now that's a family !!

Isnt "L"ife Grand !!!!

Later,
jason

PS (and i have to do this) Silver is !!!!!:D :D

hdmlnium

Established Member
1PT21GW,
I have to agree, the (Lightning Family) is one of the best things about owning one of these trucks. It's great, Oh and by the way (I have to do this) White is the fastest and best looking. LOL
Bill

Gambinotdx

Established Member
ok so as far as audio is concerned...was it difficult to find/make a box that fits 12s behind the seats? i think i want to put in 2 12s. another thing is the dealer said it is a pain to install a different head unit. is this true?
does anyone have a picture of a true blue metallic lightning? that's the new option and i wanted to see it because i may change to that color.

BfB

Banned
2002 Differences!

http://media.svt.fordvehicles.com/

There is NO HP increase whatsoever. There is no changes except for the blue (replacing white), and keypad entry on the driver's side door, as well as lucking lugs.

Here:

http://media.ford.com/products/pres...e_id=526&press_subsection_id=421&make_id=1049

OVERVIEW

2002 SVT F-150 Lightning

What’s new for 2002:

New exterior color option, True Blue Clearcoat Metallic, replaces Oxford White.
Locking lug nuts are additional standard equipment.
A keyless entry keypad is added as standard equipment.
Overview

The 2002 SVT F-150 Lightning continues as the fastest production pickup truck available. The SVT Lightning has a 5.4L supercharged and intercooled V8 engine as standard equipment, producing 380hp and 450 ft.-lb. of torque. To balance the power and torque, the SVT Lightning has larger brake rotors and calipers, and an SVT-tuned suspension. The SVT Lightning also makes a powerful statement on the interior with a Ebony textured leather and Medium Graphite cloth trim 40/60 split bench seat with center jump seat with the SVT logo stitched in the seatback.

Design

Click here to view 360o exterior

The SVT F-150 Lightning is built on the F-Series regular cab, short-wheelbase chassis, giving the lightest possible weight, optimum handling and acceleration.

Exterior elements that distinguish the 2002 SVT Lightning from the regular F-150 include new upper and lower front grilles with a horizontal billet-bar design that is unique to Lightning in the F-Series line. The headlights, taillights, side-marker lights, and the signature round fog lights all have clear, crystalline lenses found only on Lightning, which give the exterior a clean, jewel-like appearance.

The cab’s center high-mounted stop lamp also is unique to Lightning, with 10 light-emitting diodes flanked by two clear-lens cargo lights.

The cast aluminum-alloy, five-spoke wheels measure 18 x 9.5 inches and carry Goodyear Eagle 295/45ZR-18 F1-GS performance tires.

Powertrain

The SVT Lightning’s SOHC 5.4-liter Triton™ V8 engine produces 380 horsepower at 4,750 rpm. Torque output is rated at 450 lb.-ft.at 3,250 rpm.

The 5.4L supercharged engine achieves this power with better engine breathing, by improving intercooler efficiency, and a redesigned the lower intake manifold to improve air flow.

The rear axle ratio is a "shorter" 3.73:1. This supports the Lightning’s off-the-line performance, and is a key factor in its zero to 60 mph time of 5.8 seconds. Due to high driveline loads and rotational speeds, a 4.5-inch aluminum drive shaft is used.

Ride and Handling

The suspension system developed for this 4,600-pound, high-performance pickup gives it not only remarkably agile handling, but also an unexpectedly civilized ride.

The SVT Lightning front suspension consists of upper and lower A-arms, 650 lb./in. SVT coil springs and Bilstein dampers, and a specially-designed 31mm solid stabilizer bar. This setup lowers front-end ride height by half an inch over the standard F-150 ride height.

At the rear, ride height has been lowered by two inches with a 200 lb./in. SVT five-leaf spring system that replaces the standard F-150 three-leaf unit. A SVT 23mm solid stabilizer bar limits body lean and helps balance traction during cornering. The right rear Bilstein shock is staggered toward the front of the vehicle, which limits axle tramp under full-throttle acceleration.

SVT Engineering chose the brakes on the larger and heavier F-250 Super Duty pickup truck as the starting point for the SVT Lightning’s four-wheel disc system. Compared to the rotors of the standard F-150, SVT Lightning’s 12.1-inch diameter vented front rotors are 4.0 mm thicker. When the twin-piston calipers clamp down, the rotors’ internal vanes rapidly and effectively dissipate heat that builds up under hard braking.

At the rear, solid rotors measure 13.1 inches in diameter and are fitted with single-piston calipers.

Anti-lock brakes are standard on the SVT Lightning — a four-wheel, three-channel system.

Safety and Security

Second-generation driver and passenger front air bags are standard with a passenger airbag deactivation switch.

BfB

99BlackBolt

Established Member
Black is the FASTEST!!!

Gambino,
Go with the blue... Sharp looking color... It is the same color as the mustang bullet... I wanted to trade mine in for a '02 Blue but decided just to keep mine and do more mods...

Later, Justin

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
Originally posted by Gambinotdx
ok so as far as audio is concerned...was it difficult to find/make a box that fits 12s behind the seats? i think i want to put in 2 12s. another thing is the dealer said it is a pain to install a different head unit. is this true?
does anyone have a picture of a true blue metallic lightning? that's the new option and i wanted to see it because i may change to that color.

It wasn't that big of a deal to change out the head unit. I've got an Eclipse radio/single cd with a 6 disk changer in the dash.

Indash%20closeup.jpg

99BlackBolt

Established Member
Gambino,
The head unit is a piece of cake to remove... Now fitting the subs with room is going to be the problem... I was going to use my bed of my truck and cut into the cab when I first got it but I decided not too... Stealth makes boxes for F150's that fit behind the seat... As far as the true blue color, noone has actually got real pictures of it but on F150online.com someone did a photoshop changeover... Looks like a blue/purple metallic...

Later, Justin

Screamin-Bolt

Established Member
Local Lightning

Hey Gambinot,

I am kind of close to where you live i live 4 miles from the central New Jersey shit hole we like to call Great Adventure. I have just had the pleasure of hanging out with Jim and Shaune at JDM in freehold. If you want some one who know there stuff they are the ones! BTW if i knew about a month ago when i got my truck i would have waited for the blue of the 2002. It will definatly be nice!

GOOD LUCK

DR.D

Established Member
2000002 colors

Even though I like ANY Lightning color, especially yellow(hint SVT?!?!) I have Black and it is a PIA to keep shiny. It is worth it because of the reputation the Black one has for being the Fastest, especially at nite 'cause it reflects less light that the other colors (has to do with photon resistance, absence of color therefore less weight, speed of light multiplied by the surface area visible under low light conditions and such, too scientific to get into) but trust me, I wish I could have every one I see.

Users who are viewing this thread