Got a check in the mail...

Ginsu

Established Member
Years ago, I remember reading a story on another message board about someone who received a "check" for opening a loan or refinancing a home. According to the person who wrote the story, the check looked like a regular check with his name; amount and what resembled an account number. The "check" had "not a check or non negotiable" printed on it but this person cashed it anyway.

In the end, this person posted a link to a website, which declared the check valid, and who ever mailed the "check" was obligated to honor it by law. Anyone familiar with this and if so could provide me with some insight?

The reason I ask is I got yet another paper shredder filling second mortgage offer. In this offer contained, one of those "checks" and it looks like it contains everything to be valid. I would love nothing more than to stick it to one of the innumerable fly by night companies who inundate me with offers I do not want.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
I'd say read ALL the paperwork over and over, and have somebody else read ALL the paperwork over and over. If you don't see anything binding you to anything, I'd say try and cash it. If it was me though, I'd just shred it and not even worry about it. :D

tvguy

Chris_H said:
I'd say read ALL the paperwork over and over, and have somebody else read ALL the paperwork over and over. If you don't see anything binding you to anything, I'd say try and cash it. If it was me though, I'd just shred it and not even worry about it. :D

Totally agree about the fine print. My guess is if you cash the check, it "automatically" becomes a loan of some sort. Although I'm not sure that is legal if you don't already have some sort of account with them. Trust me, if it sounds too good to be true, well then...............
pacotaco

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i'm with them! read it till your eyes hurt, you don't want to cash it and have it become some legally binding agreement between yourself and the company

Ginsu

Established Member
LBguy said:
Are any of your friends lawyers?

Yes I have a few who are. I had plans on talking to one of them during the week. I was curious if anyone had heard of what I was talking about. Believe me I will not do anything with it unless I can back it up legally!

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Ginsu said:
Years ago, I remember reading a story on another message board about someone who received a "check" for opening a loan or refinancing a home.

I remember actually seeing this on a TV news special. One guy cashed the check, but the company sued him and he eventually had to pay the money back.

Probably not a good idea to try and cash it. Especially since the check you have will most likely bind you to some kind of loan. Just like those silly checks your credit card company includes with your statement every month.

Shred it.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Ginsu said:
Years ago, I remember reading a story on another message board about someone who received a "check" for opening a loan or refinancing a home. According to the person who wrote the story, the check looked like a regular check with his name; amount and what resembled an account number. The "check" had "not a check or non negotiable" printed on it but this person cashed it anyway.

In the end, this person posted a link to a website, which declared the check valid, and who ever mailed the "check" was obligated to honor it by law. Anyone familiar with this and if so could provide me with some insight?

The reason I ask is I got yet another paper shredder filling second mortgage offer. In this offer contained, one of those "checks" and it looks like it contains everything to be valid. I would love nothing more than to stick it to one of the innumerable fly by night companies who inundate me with offers I do not want.

Where the hell have you been?!?

Ginsu

Established Member
Working 40 hour weeks and taking 5 classes per semester has not left me much time for a social life! 3 more weeks...that is what I keep telling myself to keep my sanity! :beer:

Booyah said:
Where the hell have you been?!?

Users who are viewing this thread