Got a job!

Sonic_GT

Established Member
Graduated back in '09 and have been substituting for the past 2 years along with working a night/weekend job at a call center. Finally landed a teaching position and couldn't be happier. Pay is low compared to some of the coin a lot of guys make on here but its something I love doing. Will also be pursuing my masters degree asap.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
When you don't have a job, pay really isn't the important part. It's all about getting your foot in the door of a good establishment and taking advantage of everything and everybody they have to help you broaden your skills. Once you get a few years experience (5 is gold) you can then look for something with better pay. Best of luck. And as far as what other people make on here... it's all hearsay. I mean, aside from me. I only pull in about 5k a week, true story.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! You're doing something you love to do. A lot of people are stuck in jobs they hate. I pray that you will always love your job. The teaching profession IMO is one the more rewarding jobs out there. I wish you the best as you pursue your Masters (an excellent decision).

Satyr

Established Member
Congratulations! Now, try not to dick up our educational system anymore than it already is. :beer:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Its sad that teachers pay is one of the lowest paying careers put there, even since its the most demanding. You really have to want to teach to make it as a teacher and not give two shits about pay.

Or marry a lawyer/doctor/dentist/etc.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

PBLA

Oxford White Cobra
Established Member
Congrats, important that we have teachers who enjoy the job. I know of a few teachers that when asked why they chose teaching, their reply is: summers.

Sonic_GT

Established Member
Congrats, important that we have teachers who enjoy the job. I know of a few teachers that when asked why they chose teaching, their reply is: summers.

Oh I've seen plenty of that and its frustrating. Summers off is nice though. I've always been a family oriented guy. Even though I grew up not really having a strong relationship with my parents, I plan on having kids soon and want to be able to watch them grow up and show them the love and attention that i didn't really get. Knowing that I will be able to have the same schedule as my future kids is a huge bonus and really makes up for the lack of pay as far as I'm concerned. I have several friends who are in CBP and bank but they work long or odd hours and sometimes have to miss out on family time. Money comes and goes but you can't get back lost time. Another great bonus is that I will be working at the same school as my wife and I am good friends with several of the other teachers. With our combined income for now we should be doing pretty good because we live in whats considered one of the poorest parts of the country. Deep south tx. As for my position, it's 5th grade science. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys/gals.

Sonic_GT

Established Member
Congratulations! Now, try not to dick up our educational system anymore than it already is. :beer:

Lol. Will do. The thing I tell kids when I substitute is that I want them to be good citizens above anything else. Value yourself and treat others with respect. I've never had any disciplinary issues because I tend to give the kids a dose of reality and most kids really take what I tell them to heart. I work the kids hard but when you remind them of what they can accomplish and acknowledge their hard work, they light up. Can't tell you how great it felt when the large majority of the kids I was working with passed their state testing. Along with learning the material, I expect my students to learn manners, morals, and respect. I may not reach everyone but with a lot of the stuff that we see on the news, I at least want to make some kind of impact on the future generations.

Bw281

Banned
Graduated back in '09 and have been substituting for the past 2 years along with working a night/weekend job at a call center. Finally landed a teaching position and couldn't be happier. Pay is low compared to some of the coin a lot of guys make on here but its something I love doing. Will also be pursuing my masters degree asap.

Congrats. elementary school education was my first attempt at a career. Sadly, when I first went to school, there were actually teaching jobs available, not like now in Illinois. I know quite a few teachers that were let go(based on less years of teaching than others).

I still can't find worthy work.

Best of luck on the new job. I hope I one day have the joy of a good job.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Its sad that teachers pay is one of the lowest paying careers put there, even since its the most demanding. You really have to want to teach to make it as a teacher and not give two shits about pay.

Or marry a lawyer/doctor/dentist/etc.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

there are many teachers in my area pulling in 90-100k, not to mention they have an extensively nice and very cheap health insurance, I know for act as my mother is one of them. Many lawyers on the other hand cant find full time work. Teaching is not as bad as it is made out to seem, at least in this area. Large amount of time off and great health coverage.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
there are many teachers in my area pulling in 90-100k, not to mention they have an extensively nice and very cheap health insurance, I know for act as my mother is one of them. Many lawyers on the other hand cant find full time work. Teaching is not as bad as it is made out to seem, at least in this area. Large amount of time off and great health coverage.

So you are comparing teachers salaries for those that have been doing for probably 20 years versus a new lawyer?

New teachers salaries are quite low as are new lawyers salaries. The difference is lawyers potentially have an unlimited earning potential while teachers cap out. A teacher starting out today is not likely to hit the equivalent of $90K, in today's dollars, in their career.

odin673

Established Member
So you are comparing teachers salaries for those that have been doing for probably 20 years versus a new lawyer?

New teachers salaries are quite low as are new lawyers salaries. The difference is lawyers potentially have an unlimited earning potential while teachers cap out. A teacher starting out today is not likely to hit the equivalent of $90K, in today's dollars, in their career.

It varies a lot by district. At the HS I went to most teachers started in the mid to high 40's. Recently a PE teacher/football coach retired making about 170K a year with a pension that isn't far off for the rest of his life. That's probably why my state is screwed.

Here is a link to a story in a local paper since I'm sure someone will call BS. He's also working at another school now. Pulling in salary there while pulling a hefty pension.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110703/news/707039911/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread