got a question for the older members 63 t-bird

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
quick question fellas,i bought a 63 t-bird(390) that has sat for three years but was running when parked.i drained the gas(looked and smelled decent,no rust)drained the oil,and pulled a plug that looked new,top of the piston looked ok,and the cyl. walls looked good.the engine spun over easily by grabbing the fan and turning.

i would like to prime the engine before trying to start it.what is the best way to do this on the fe engine.and what else would u reccomend i do.

4valvemach

Established Member
You can get a (oil pump primer) tool cost $10-$20 and prime the engine that way just add new oil.I would suggest spraying some WD40 in the cylinders and change the fuel and fuel filter.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
My dad taught me on the older cars to pour some ATF down the carb first if it's been sitting a while. I don't know if I'd use WD40. It's not a great lubricant and it seems to me like it'd wash the cylinder walls. Also, some starting fluid couldn't hurt.

oldmodman

Established Member
You can probably just pour a little gas down the carb and crank it up. But if you want to be absolutely safe...

Pull the plugs. Pour 1 ounce of atf down each plug hole. Put a rag over the plug holes to catch the atf spray. Crank the engine over with the starter motor until you get oil pressure. This will also pump the carb bowl full.

Reinstall the plugs and fire the engine. It will cough, buck, and smoke for a couple of minutes then should run clean. Keep it running at about 1000rpm during this time to make sure that plenty of oil gets pumped up to the top end so it can drain back down onto the cam.

Drive it for at least 30 minutes then bring it back home and change the oil, flush the radiator and refill with 50/50. And don't forget to flush the brake system.

And be careful driving it until you know that the brakes still work.

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
You can probably just pour a little gas down the carb and crank it up. But if you want to be absolutely safe...

Pull the plugs. Pour 1 ounce of atf down each plug hole. Put a rag over the plug holes to catch the atf spray. Crank the engine over with the starter motor until you get oil pressure. This will also pump the carb bowl full.

Reinstall the plugs and fire the engine. It will cough, buck, and smoke for a couple of minutes then should run clean. Keep it running at about 1000rpm during this time to make sure that plenty of oil gets pumped up to the top end so it can drain back down onto the cam.

Drive it for at least 30 minutes then bring it back home and change the oil, flush the radiator and refill with 50/50. And don't forget to flush the brake system.

And be careful driving it until you know that the brakes still work.

thanks this is what i had in mind,but dident know if not using the priming tool would hurt.

got the gas drained,plugs changed,oil changed,put a lil atf in cyls. and spun it over 5-6 times(heard the starter drag when the engine primed)

i reinstalled plugs and i filled the carb bowls with 90-95% gas and 5-10%atf.hit the starter and and BAM SHE ROARED to a 1000rpm idle:rockon::beer::banana: i saw where new freese plugs had been installed so the engine has been out at least once,and she sounds healthy.even with 21/4 into a 21/2 in exhaust.

the pass. side ex man. is busted,are there any long tube headers that will bolt on to this chassis or do i have to build some?heads are c3ve

Users who are viewing this thread