Got a quote for a short block rebuild

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
Whats up guys,

I got a quote from MPH for a shortblock rebuild not much info :rollseyes but it goes like this

$2580 for a built shortblock using your block,crank and rods.
$1800 RR
$500 longblock tear down and reassembly
$423 gaskets
$195 head studs
$289 oil pan
$239 pump and gears.
$100 shop supplies

total price 6126 :dw: for a rebuild. I think they are too busy to deal with a rebuild so.... anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I paid less than that and have BILLET Oliver Rods, CP pistons and a host of other tricks www.modularperformance.com does.

Seriously reconsider getting a Super Terminator Shortblock from John Tymensky.

Click that link and give him a call

That quote is scary high for the components used.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Man! That really sucks! Here is how Strictly Performance breaks it down...

$3200 for NEW SHORTBLOCK FROM SVT with CP pistons.

$1400 for R/R

$400 for new gaskets.

MPH is charging for crap in my opinion.

WDW MKR

Established Member
How is the price out of control? The rebuild is only $2580? That is right in line with any quality rebuild that I priced from various shops. The rest of the total cost is all accessories (i.e. R&R, billet oil pump gears, Canton oil pan, gaskets). Price that stuff separately and you'll see that he's right on the money.

I just had Tim build my Teksid-based shortblock and was very happy with the prices and services. His machinist even offered me another block (for cheaper) when UPS cracked mine... same casting numbers. Can't wait to get it put back together after the Holidays!

WDW MKR

Established Member
Jdaniel said:
Man! That really sucks! Here is how Strictly Performance breaks it down...

$3200 for NEW SHORTBLOCK FROM SVT with CP pistons.

$1400 for R/R

$400 for new gaskets.

MPH is charging for crap in my opinion.

Tim will sell you a new shortblock for a very similar price. He also hones/bores each cylinder for each custom piston size. Rebuilds are expensive because of all the labor. That is exactly why most people sell their stock shortblock and purchase a brand new bullet.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Give Mark Lutton a call @ MMR www.modularmustangracing.com that is who wqill be building mine in the near future. Ive seen alot of these builders get away with what looks like highway robbery lately.

MMR Street mod 900 $2799.00

MMR 4.6 Street Mod 900
*Brand New Cast Iron, current production Romeo or Windsor Block
*New 4340 Forged 3.543 stroke Cobra Crankshaft w/micro polished journals at no extra charge

*New 4340 5.933 Manley H-beam Rods ( These US made rods are shotpeened, magnafluxed and weight matched to bring you the finest H-beam rod available for your 4.6

*New Forged Manley pistons 3.552 Bore size (High or low compression)

*Speed Pro file fit rings (precision file fit to your application, nitrous, blower, turbo or N/A)

*Speed Pro/Federal Mogul Rod and Main bearings

*Complete Pro Assembly and Balancing for the smoothest, highest revving shortblock available.

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
MMR is another great choice. I debated between Mark and Tim, but went with MPH for the locale. Keep in mind that things like ARP2000 rod bolts, ARP main studs, ARP head studs, billet oil pump gears aren't included in all of these base prices. Prices for MMR and MPH were almost identical to have the exact same pieces in both.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
MMR is another great choice. I debated between Mark and Tim, but went with MPH for the locale. Keep in mind that things like ARP2000 rod bolts, ARP main studs, ARP head studs, billet oil pump gears aren't included in all of these base prices. Prices for MMR and MPH were almost identical to have the exact same pieces in both.

I have been thinking about looking up Tym also, he is sorta local to me, I could drive there in 4-5 hours..

acrod

Established Member
So basically its about almost 2-3k more for a rebuild than just buying a built block? Damn its better just to buy a new motor.

WDW MKR

Established Member
broke7 said:
I have been thinking about looking up Tym also, he is sorta local to me, I could drive there in 4-5 hours..

Great service, fair prices, and friendly people. Everyone that I talked to who had personal experience with MPH was extremely complimentary. I can't wait to get my new engine installed and fired.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Little steep I think, I paid less than 5 grand for a BRAND NEW, forged stroker 302 with CP pistons, billet oil pump gear, billet rods...etc.etc.etc. from VT....

WDW MKR

Established Member
My non-billet rod Teksid shortblock was less than $4k. This included everything like billet oil pump gears, ARP2000 rod bolts, ARP main studs, etc. Rebuilds are too labor-intensive to be cheap. It's better to purchase new and sell what you have.

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
Got the oil changed in my car, I found metal in the oil filter. I think Im in definate need of a shortblock. heres what I have so far the only thing I cant find is the rest of the engine gaskets anyone know what those run? and anyone have a round figure for shipping Im thinking an additional 500 bucks

MMR 4.6 Street Mod 900 $2799

MMR Street/Racing Oil Pump $179

ARP Main studs $179

MMR/Felpro Head Gaskets $169

ARP Headstud kit $219.99

MMR 7 qt. oil pan $219.99

Parts total $ 3765.98

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Contact Steve @ Tousley Ford for all of the gaskets. He will get you everything at 10% over cost. His board screen name is FORDSVTPARTS.

Don't forget to upgrade to the ARP2000 rod bolts. The base ARP bolts are no better than what is in the stock shortblock. Also, that oil pump does not include billet gears, but cryo-treated gears. The billet gears are an additional ~$280. Shipping will be about $400 for you, as I'm in Bama and their quote was close to that. You could save a lot of shipping money and hassle by going local to MPH. Their price for the same build will be nearly identical. Again, I think MMR is top notch... just makes sense to go local when you have a great builder in your back yard. I've had UPS damage 3 cylinder heads and one Teksid block. FedEx lost my brand new shortblock and found it in Florida. It's of great benefit to avoid shipping when you can! :beer:

Last edited:

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
Yeah Ill prolly just take it to mph and let them rebuild it. I might also get them to quote a new shortblock for me. I wonder if that would be cheaper??

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
The biggest expense on your list is having them do all the work. A new engine will be a lot cheaper if you can sell your stock stuff to offset the cost, but R&R is still gonna cost you.

MTI LS1

I'd say that the price is a bit on the high side as well. I was quoted w/ stock rods and cp pistons with install at $4900. This is with everything else that you listed.

Users who are viewing this thread