Got a ride in a Ford GT

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
When I was at Gingerman last month I got a ride in a Ford GT! :bowdown:

The marketing guys had one out there for the SVTOA track event and I spent the $40.00 (for charity) for a one lap ride!

The guy driving didn't really know the "line" of the track but the car could have cared less! :rockon: It went where ever it was pointed.

I want one, bad!!:cryying: :whine:

nugen

Established Member
I got to ride in the GT at the SVTOA event at Summitt Point Raceway in WV. The guy driving did know the line and that car was freekin' awesome!

Gastrader1

Established Member
Nugen, Thanks for the kind words on my drving skills. It was my pleasure to give you a fun ride in the Ford GT at Summit Point Raceway. We all hope to see you at next years event.
Take Care
Brian Shafranek
SVTOA Eastern Region Director

RARE5.0

RARE NOTCHBACK
Established Member
im jelous to i would have done it a few times at 40 dollars a crack
y not.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Originally posted by ac427cobra
When I was at Gingerman last month I got a ride in a Ford GT! :bowdown:

The marketing guys had one out there for the SVTOA track event and I spent the $40.00 (for charity) for a one lap ride!

The guy driving didn't really know the "line" of the track but the car could have cared less! :rockon: It went where ever it was pointed.

I want one, bad!!:cryying: :whine:

I am curious, What track are you on in that picture?

It looks a bit like Road America coming down to turn 5.

Stanger58

Established Member
So far this year, I've had the pleasure to drive a Ford-owned GT at two different SVTOA On Track events... Summit Point in August, and Indianapolis Raceway Park on Oct 8/9... what a rush! I don't think I "alarmed" my different passengers too much... I hope! OK, at Summit Point maybe I did... but the corner workers sure appreciated my slight "throttle-lift rotation" on corner entry... :p

The GT is simply AMAZING. Torque: right NOW... very linear, smooth power delivery, even when lugging the engine on corner exit. Brakes: I never got anywhere NEAR their limits. Yes, you can get the car to "push" if you're using too much throttle...but a slight lift takes care of that... and the car responds and "rotates" nicely when done right ... ;-) Steering: nicely weighted, decent "on center" feel. Vision: forget using the inside rear view... side mirrors aren't bad once you get used to seeing those sexy "hips" of the car... :coolman:

But, the single most amazing thing about driving the GT in a "spirited" fashion... is the erie quiet of the driver's compartment ... engine, blower, and exhaust are all behind you... don't get me wrong, you can still hear that huffed and stuffed 5.4L DOCH SC monster, but the sound / sensation is different because all that locomotive-like thrust is being developed and applied to the planet's surface BEHIND you.

Watching (and listening) to the car from track side is very similar ... stealthy silence as it approaches ... then, just a hint of wind-noise as the air flow into and out of the front-mounted radiators, then WHOOOSH... there it goes! Going away, under boost ... it sounds like a chained-down 737 trying to rip the asphalt from the ground. Personally, I'd like to hear a little more "engine music" than just the supercharger-tortured exhaust-flow trying to escape the rather convoluted muffler (the Ford guys say, "This car responds VERY WELL to an aftermarket exhaust system." and then just give you this cat-that-ate-the-bird grin!

Bottom line: if you ever get a chance to go for a ride... DO IT! And, if you should ever be so lucky as to drive one ... then you will KNOW what I mean when I say, "Oooooooh, yeeeeeeaaaahhhhh..."

See... ya just never know what may show up at our SVTOA On Track events!

See you on track!

Jeff Lacina
Lead Instructor
SVTOA On Track events

P.S. We also had the very generous treat of being able to drive a 2005 Mustang GT on track / at-speed as well ... but that's a whole 'nother story...

Darn ... apparently, I cannot post pics in this thread... bummer. The white car with blue stripes in the early October afternoon sun was simply gorgeous... post an email addy if ya wanna see some...

Last edited:

Goldy

Established Member
I too had the pleasure of riding in the GT at the Indy IRP event. Truly a phenominal ride. Cudos to Ford for bringing the car to Indy, and having it available for SVTOA members to experience first hand (from the passenger seat).

And agreed, if ever offered the opportunity to ride in one, definitly do it!!!

jmcgliss

Established Member
Ford GT Drive - Photo

Here you go JL and HG: my turn driving the Ford GT for charity at SVTOA IRP Invasion Oct 9, 2004. Note the grinning passenger.
Thanks to Mark, Jeff, Howard and everyone else who made this a memorable event.

IRP1004_GT40Drivec.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread