Got a ticket for not wearing a seat belt, BUT I was wearing one.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Are you dense? One more time, my post is not a script. If you can't find a few ideas you could build into a defense for the violation at hand, you're hopeless.

Your original post is hopeless. Just take your ball and go home already.

I asked how would you fight one because I almost got a seatbelt ticket a long time ago when I was wearing mine and wondered then what would I have done other than pay it.

How did you almost get a ticket?

46-062, you sure are good for some laughs...

good thing this isnt in smackdown....you might teach us all a lesson.

It was funny for a minute, now it's just tragic.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
How did you almost get a ticket?

I was behind a cop, he was slowing down so I would get in front of him. I slowed down too so I wouldn't get in front of him. Finally I turned off and pulled into a driveway for a min. He turned around and got behind me and pulled me over. He said that I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I looked down at my black seatbelt on top of my black hockey jersey (and it as about 10pm) and told him that I don't think he could tell if I had it on or not. He then told me that he could give a ticket for going to slow in a passing lane (which it wasn't). After an awkward silent stare for a minute he told me to go home.

So in my situation I would say that it would be nearly impossible for him to actually know if I was or wasn't wearing it.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I was behind a cop, he was slowing down so I would get in front of him. I slowed down too so I wouldn't get in front of him. Finally I turned off and pulled into a driveway for a min. He turned around and got behind me and pulled me over. He said that I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I looked down at my black seatbelt on top of my black hockey jersey (and it as about 10pm) and told him that I don't think he could tell if I had it on or not. He then told me that he could give a ticket for going to slow in a passing lane (which it wasn't). After an awkward silent stare for a minute he told me to go home.

So in my situation I would say that it would be nearly impossible for him to actually know if I was or wasn't wearing it.

Which is probably why he didn't write you a ticket.

Why are you afraid to drive in front of cops? Who gives a shit if he slows down? If you're doing the speed limit just keep driving. :shrug: You pulled into a strangers driveway for a minute? Sorry dude but that just screams you're trying to hide something. Whether you are or not, it looks suspicious.

That's probably why you were stopped. When you pay more attention to the police than they are to you, that's what we sometimes call a clue.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
As much as I was followed around back then I would never drive in front of cops. He asked if I did something and I told him no and that I didn't want to be pulled over and harrassed.

Back then the cops here had a reputation for messing with people. That and the times they followed me around, I just rather not deal with it.

I turned into a neighborhood then the driveway, so there is know way he knew it was a strange house or not until he stopped me.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
As much as I was followed around back then I would never drive in front of cops. He asked if I did something and I told him no and that I didn't want to be pulled over and harrassed.

Back then the cops here had a reputation for messing with people. That and the times they followed me around, I just rather not deal with it.

I turned into a neighborhood then the driveway, so there is know way he knew it was a strange house or not until he stopped me.

and you were pulled over anyway...guess that didn't work out too well huh?

StangJason

Established Member
If I was in your situation OP I would probably take a couple of character witnesses to court with me. First thing I would tell the judge is that I always wear my seat belt. Second thing I'd tell them is that I always make passengers wear seat belts in my car including the back seat where I don't think it's a law in Alabama. Third if I had witnesses that came to court with me I would have them tell the judge as witnesses how adamant I am about always wearing a seat belt which is I think idiots who don't wear their seat belts are asking to die and I guess it's thinning the gene pool if they do....you know people with good sense live on.

odin673

Established Member
If I do want to oppose the ticket, will I get charged with court fees. I'm located in Illinois. I mean the ticket is $60, theres no point in trying to argue my point if their going to charge me lets say $100 to do so.

Since you are in Crook County, just pay the ticket. You'll pay triple it if you go to court and lose. Our traffic court system in Chicago is designed with one thing in mind, revenue.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Since you are in Crook County, just pay the ticket. You'll pay triple it if you go to court and lose. Our traffic court system in Chicago is designed with one thing in mind, revenue.

Same way on the west side of the state... of course most LEOs don't waste their time writing tickets/doing paperwork for anything they think will get tossed in court. If he wrote you a ticket OP he firmly believed he witnessed you without a seat belt on. I'm not even sure it's possible to get out of a ticket like this.

evolve

Established Member
I would be upset for the same reasons that the OP is. I think that if I knew that I was innocent, I'd fight it. It's not the money, it's the principal of the whole thing.

Agreed. Plus, the officer that made the claim has to know that the method he is using is wrong.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
I've known people who got out of tickets because their presentation was amusing to the judge. Might be worth trying some pictures.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I've known people who got out of tickets because their presentation was amusing to the judge. Might be worth trying some pictures.

You might want to specify what kind of pictures. Don't want the OP going in with a display of nudes. :lol1:

Although you might be on to something...:rolling:

PLATIADO

Established Member
At the end of the day, all they want is money. It's funny how you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt here in FL, But it's ok to drive a bike without no helmet:nonono:

justinschmidt1

Established Member
I fought my last ticket, ****er was sitting in a neighborhood and pulled me over for not using a turn signal at a stop sign.....my complaint was that I did flick the turn signal on, it just didnt stay on as I had to maneuver around a massive ups truck blocking the entire intersection parked facing me on my side of the road.

The cop actually didnt show up for court so it got thrown out but only after wasting 2 trips there and like 6 hours of my life.

Either way, it was WAY more trouble than the 100 dollars it saved me was worth.

Id probably just pay the damn thing next time.

justinschmidt1

Established Member
At the end of the day, all they want is money. It's funny how you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt here in FL, But it's ok to drive a bike without no helmet:nonono:

That reminds me of how in Maryland you can legally ride around in hte back of a truck bed, but god forbid you dont throw your seat belt on in Ocean city.

They will pull you over in an instant for no seat belt but theres 10 rednecks in the back of every truck down there.

Kinda makes you wonder what the **** is going on with our justice system.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
One thing to mention, many of the "pro-active" or "primary" seat-belt enforcement patrols are due to the States trying to get federal money tied into these primary enforcements.

So you pay income tax to the federal gov, who then dangles the money in front of your state to whack you for a seat belt violation.

E

StangJason

Established Member
I disagree with ticketing for no seat belt. If someone wants to be stupid let them. On the other hand if someone wrecks and isn't wearing their seat belt the insurance company should be released from any liability towards paying for injuries or life insurance.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I disagree with ticketing for no seat belt. If someone wants to be stupid let them. On the other hand if someone wrecks and isn't wearing their seat belt the insurance company should be released from any liability towards paying for injuries or life insurance.

That's a huge slippery slope you got started there...

Users who are viewing this thread