Got a ticket form a mustang cop car, is this legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
TR03Mach1 said:
Just voicing my opinion here, no advice being given.

What exactly gives the police the right to violate the same laws that they are supposed to enforce? I believe most states have statues that deal with "following too closely" or something similar that deals with what is basically tailgating.

I had an experience not too long ago where an officer had followed behind me without any lights at all on his vehicle and I didn't even know he was there until I came upon a lone street light that illuminated his vehicle for me. If an animal, or a pedestrian, for that matter, had forced me to hit my brakes, I probably would have been rear ended by a police car that I didn't even know was there!

I just think some of the stuff that is done by some police officers is not only dangerous, it would be considered a traffic violation if comitted by a citizen.
I've always been a proponent of the idea that unless they are responding to an emergency, police vehicles should obey the same rules of the road as the rest of us.

Most states have exemptions written into their statutes that allow for these actions while occuring during the performance of their duties.

There are emergencies where no lights or sirens are indicated, hence you wouldnt know what they were responding to nor if they had been cancelled at some point during their response. Therefore the appearance to a civilian would not be the actual situation.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
redfiresvtsnake said:
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head it's a matter of principle. There's laws against what he was doing that should be upheld to everyone, not just select few. My laywer says he knows this cops name and has delt with issues with him before and says I will pretty much get out if it with the facts and witness I have.

Be very weary of an attorney who makes such statements and guarantees a result.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Honestly if I was in your position I wouldnt waste my money on a lawyer. From what I've seen most judges are very reasonible.

I'd just go tell the judge the story and if that you're so confident of the story that they should review the actual tape. Maybe i've gotten lucky with judges, but in my circumstances having a lawyer wouldn't have helped me.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

Ok thanks. I've only dealt with this laywer once and that was just to appear for me for a speeding ticket. Think I'd have a chance with the judge by defending myself without a laywer? I'm goin to court on fri to see if I can take care of this. I have 30 days to appear for it but I can go early if I want to from what I'm told.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
If the charge is a criminal charge/misdemeanor, I would risk the chance of losing and having a criminal conviction. If it is a civil infraction, not likely, I would handle it myself.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
If the charge is a criminal charge/misdemeanor, I would risk the chance of losing and having a criminal conviction. If it is a civil infraction, not likely, I would handle it myself.

Thanks. I think I will go and see if I can work this out without a laywer. I know which judge is at the traffic court and know from other guys at work he is very civil and will listen if you have a valid defense. I'll try and take care of it friday and post up on the results.

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
If you decided to race would that not be entrapment? Or lets say after he tailgates you for a while you pin it?

Sorry if it appears that I am highjacking your thread redfire, but this post raised these questions of my own.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Svt-Sonic said:
If you decided to race would that not be entrapment? Or lets say after he tailgates you for a while you pin it?

Sorry if it appears that I am highjacking your thread redfire, but this post raised these questions of my own.

It is not entrapment. In that situation you are simply given the opportunity to do what you already have the propensity to do, thus no entrapment.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
I am very Pro-LEO don't get me wrong however, this undercover racing enforcement is getting a little out of hand. If you hope to make a case of the officer instigated it, you had better get a lawyer
*edited by moderator*

This is very similar to that corvette in orlando that is being used to instigate street races

After hearing about this sort of law enforcement being done, I decided that whenever I am over in Orlando, I am going to mount up my front and rear facing cameras. I have been twice since then, and have yet to meet this corvette, but if I do find it, I will make sure that officer is charged with the same violation he would charge a normal person for instigating a street race.

I find that the legal system is a little anti-performance vehicle these days. So I think of it as cheap insurance against this kind of thing happening. I am sure the police mean well with this kind of enforcement, but I think it is stepping over the line.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Tampa03cobra said:
After hearing about this sort of law enforcement being done, I decided that whenever I am over in Orlando, I am going to mount up my front and rear facing cameras. I have been twice since then, and have yet to meet this corvette, but if I do find it, I will make sure that officer is charged with the same violation he would charge a normal person for instigating a street race.

And how exactly will you make sure of that? An undercover/unmarked officer "making like he wants to race" is allowable by Florida Statute/Regulation, especially during an enforcement detail.

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
It is not entrapment. In that situation you are simply given the opportunity to do what you already have the propensity to do, thus no entrapment.

If I am tail-gated to the point I cannot even see the car behind headlights, and I pin it because I am on a 1 lane road, AND the person behind me breaking the law is an officer, am I really wrong and trying to get out of that situation, presuming I am unaware that it is an officer?

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Learn how to spell before you go to court.
It is very legal for LEO's to drive whatever.
Maybe next month a LEO will be driving your car as a pursuit vehicle.
I can't believe some people. Born in a cave Fred Flintstone?
Jeff

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Svt-Sonic said:
If I am tail-gated to the point I cannot even see the car behind headlights, and I pin it because I am on a 1 lane road, AND the person behind me breaking the law is an officer, am I really wrong and trying to get out of that situation, presuming I am unaware that it is an officer?

You have other options besides "pinning it." The officer may or may not be breaking the law depending on the L.E. statutes in your state. Getting close to accurately read and run a plate or other identification is not an infraction. I would suggest that if the officer is that close for an extended period of time that action is not exempt.

Yes you would be in the wrong as you are not excused from your violation of the law because of someone else's violation.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

Funny, I had a false case against me once and found out that very offer had been accused of the same thing a couple times before. All charges were dropped for me. Lets just say the officer made up a reason to pull me over and then claimed my inspection stickers were fake giving him a right to search my vehicle. I'm not going any further on this case. Get a lawyer and fight it. Officers like this can change the way law abiding citizens feel about the police force. Believe me I was pretty bitter for a while.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
id fight it, let the court know every little detail and also if he had it on video im sure there is sound on the camera, you will hear the rev or maybe even see it on the tach depending on the location of the camera

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
CPViolation said:
Learn how to spell before you go to court.
It is very legal for LEO's to drive whatever.
Maybe next month a LEO will be driving your car as a pursuit vehicle.
I can't believe some people. Born in a cave Fred Flintstone?
Jeff

You talkin to me? Trust me I can spell just fine. When I go to court I'll actually take the time to write something out, not type it in a hurry on the computer like I am here. If you want to be hostile then go to the smackdown forum, I asked a simple question for advice on what I could do to fight this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread