Got a ticket form a mustang cop car, is this legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightHawks97

Objects N Mirror R Losing
Established Member
You have a lot of patience I surely don't have, 17 mins??? :thumbsup: I'll be honest, if someone was following me like that (nose rising up on my tail), I would have gunned it in 30 seconds. That's the main reason why I just drive the Cobra but once a month or so.

You have a Red 2004 Cobra with an off road pipe. The cop probably thought this was a sure "ticket" for him. I'm thinking after you didn't do anything but slow down after 17 minutes of his tailgating and egging you on, he got frustrated and then tried to find the most minor thing he could to write you a ticket.

The cop said that he felt you braked unsafely. Like it's been said on here, if you're following close enough on somebody, any type of braking will seem unsafe. Hence the reason for having "safe following distances."

HE made your braking unsafe for HIM because HE was following too close. He put himself in that unsafe position. That would be like if you're driving along at 70mph on the interstate, then some pedestrian just runs in your path. He then lies down before you have any time to react, thus you run him over. Is it an unsafe situation for the pedestrian? Yes. Is the driver's vehicle going at 70mph unsafe for the pedestrian? Yes. Is the driver at fault? No. The pedestrian was put in an unsafe situation because of his own actions, not yours.

I respect all LEO's, but they should not break the law or have unnecessary risks in safety to perform their duties.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
KnightHawks97 said:
I respect all LEO's, but they should not break the law or have unnecessary risks in safety to perform their duties.

You are correct, so the next time someone is breaking into an occupied home at night, the police should wait until the perp exits and is willing to give up peacefully as to avoid any unnecessary risks in safety to perform their duty.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
You are correct, so the next time someone is breaking into an occupied home at night, the police should wait until the perp exits and is willing to give up peacefully as to avoid any unnecessary risks in safety to perform their duty.

No, I think he means in a way to purposely egg someone on.... totally different context. What reason is there to ride someones bumper for so long other then to purposely harass to them? Yes, there are real lame police out there, my father has had one transfered for being lame (of course, there where many other complaints from people with this officer before adding up to the transfer including taking someone out in the woods and beating them up when they where cuffed).

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
redfiresvtsnake said:
The video clip they showed started when he jumped out of the left turn lane to follow me and was 26 min long. He was on my ass gunning his engine jumping on and off the throttle for about 17 min of that. You could very clearly hear it and see the nose of the car rise everytime he did it in the video. You could clearly read my tag plain as day and see my attemp at slowing down to get him off my ass. When I actually slolwed down it was when he had just jumped on the throttle in his car causing him to need to hit the brakes quick and make a comment out loud "you damn punk", then turn his lights on and pull me over. Also verified I was speeding by 2mph, yeah a whole 2mph at the highest point in the video. The cop had nothing to say other than he felt I braked unsafely and was cause for him to pull me over. The NC statute N.C. Statute; G.S. 20-141.6 and G.S. 20-152 'following too closely, clarify the police have no special privileges threw what he said out the window as to why he was tailgating.

wow. glad to see he was exposed amongst his peers.:nono: Another added account to his history of being a problem leo. Glad things worked out they way they should. :beer:

Actually the damage still has been done on the count of that LEO. You still missed work, you still lost tons of money to lawyer fees, etc. Not to mention the mental anguish and the time loss dealing with this whole thing starting from the moment you encountered the leo. Maybe you can sue for the damages I just mentioned to re-coupe some of the losses.

Last edited:

KnightHawks97

Objects N Mirror R Losing
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

No, in that case, that is a necessary risk to do the job (not wait and enter the home).

Unnecessary risk is evident in the OP's case. 17 mins straight of tailgating and egging on when the OP was abiding by the law (except for 2 mph over) is unnecessary and he was putting his own AND redfiresvtsnake's safety at risk because of it for that whole period of time. Maybe a few minutes or so to read his plates and do his thing would be a necessary risk to perform the job. To do it for how long the officer did so is completely unnecessary. It's all about judgement, which it seems the officer had poor judgement (as evident of the case being thrown out). You've gotta have common sense.

How much more longer past the 17 minute mark would the officer keep taunting him and taking unnecessary risk if redfiresvtsnake never slowed down?

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
So, is that to mean that the NCSHP run their cameras all the time?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
Good to hear. I am a huge advocate of the police but when certain individuals in the dept. do stuff like this they take away from all the hard working honest LEO's out there.

There seems to be more and more of this type of behavior from LEO's lately and we're starting to see stories like this all the time. I'm sure some might be BS, but most of them seem credible.

What's going on out there? Is there an influx of inexperienced LEO's who just graduated from the academy or what?

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Glad it all worked out for ya... just curious how much did the lawyer cost you? Seems like you could have handled it the same way without one. I bet that officer shit himself when he heard you were going to watch the video. He probably just expected you to pay it.

bolinger06

Established Member
thats awesome man...I would have never been able to have that much patience. I would have put on my hazards and pulled over or found the next side road and turned. Just think if his camera was never on. You would have never had that evidence and more than likely the judge would have taken the LEO's word against yours and you would be paying lawyer fees and a ticket. It makes you wonder how many situations are like this w/out cameras....

Coreboy

Established Member
Fight it, That sounds like some classic BS to me. You may need a lawyer but honestly most judges are pretty reasonable. You may just be able to put your word up against the cops, and if he's in a good mood your probably fine.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Coreboy said:
Fight it, That sounds like some classic BS to me. You may need a lawyer but honestly most judges are pretty reasonable. You may just be able to put your word up against the cops, and if he's in a good mood your probably fine.
I love it when people don't read the whole thread before posting. :loser:

U.M.

BM1

Established Member
KnightHawks97 said:
No, in that case, that is a necessary risk to do the job (not wait and enter the home).

Unnecessary risk is evident in the OP's case. 17 mins straight of tailgating and egging on when the OP was abiding by the law (except for 2 mph over) is unnecessary and he was putting his own AND redfiresvtsnake's safety at risk because of it for that whole period of time. Maybe a few minutes or so to read his plates and do his thing would be a necessary risk to perform the job. To do it for how long the officer did so is completely unnecessary. It's all about judgement, which it seems the officer had poor judgement (as evident of the case being thrown out). You've gotta have common sense.

How much more longer past the 17 minute mark would the officer keep taunting him and taking unnecessary risk if redfiresvtsnake never slowed down?

I agree 100% here.

JRDman

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

oh i just love cops... but this is why theres a 9mm in my headboard and a 12 gauge under my bed. state of ga " if you feel threatened you may shoot first" and even if i cant. a dead guy cant testify.

good day

CJ

but congrats on the win! I had a similar situation happen to me here in atlanta.

rain///man

Established Member
CPViolation said:
Maybe I'm too old to give advice.
1955 was a very good year.
Jeff

Evidently, you are!
As far as advice goes, I'd recommend you keep it to yourself, at least until you are a little less incoherent.

BTW I think we know now how the 'Smackdown' you predicted turned out as well ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread