got fired for having low blood sugars

98slowbra

Established Member
well I started a new job on July 11th and my back doc put me on new meds for the pain in my back with my 10 ruptured discs, well the pain meds were not working very well in return when the pain goes up my blood sugar goes down. So the 1st day at work on July 11th as a contractor my sugar dropped to 35 and I needed some help, they got me help, not the way I wanted to start my 1st day on the job. The next day rolls around and the Manager is on vacation so one of full time Sr. person takes me in a room and says I need to keep my sugar under control or I will loose my job if it happens a 2nd time, so 3 weeks later my sugar drops again and this time I was able to take care of it myself and eat my glucose tablets for my sugar to come up and I was able to do so but took a hour and this was on Thursday Aug 3rd, so Friday rolls around and all is good, I am doing my job very well and I have been getting good reviews on my work. So after work Friday the contract house calls me and I am told that I am not working out and they got rid of me. That was the 2nd time and they let me go for medical reasons, the manager even took 3 hours off my time card on thrusday for my medical issue which only really took a hour to get my sugar up. It is against the law to fire someone for a medical condition correct? I do have an appt with my doc on the 16th to put my meds back to the way they were so I do not have these issues, after 2 years they still worked just fine but they got changed which affected everything and the doc said I needed 2 weeks to be on them to see if they help but they did not and I lost my job because of low blood sugars. This is a big company so I am just 1 guy but I am contacting the ADA to see if they can help in any way. I was shocked to hear to my face that if my sugar went low again I would be let go, this is not right. I know I am messed up but I do the best I can since I am a brittle type 1 diabetic and I have 10 ruptured discs in my back, so I try my hardest to keep stuff in line but sometimes it is very hard. I wonder what all I can do because this should not be able to happen. I can not afford a lawyer they just cost to much and the company could drag this out for years, so I hope I can do something because they could do this to anyone with medical issues. I know it is not good so please do not beat me up on this I do try to keep it stable as the best I can. And no I would not want to go back there to work if this is the way they treat people with medical conditions. Even as a contractor I should have some wrights working.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
No advice but sorry to hear about your situation.

Good luck!

Blown 89

Established Member
First of all, paragraphs man.

I'm sorry to hear about your medical conditions. Unfortunately they can let you go for medical reasons and, as someone that employee people, they probably should have since it sounds like your condition was interfering with your work. Businesses aren't beholden to their employees and there are other employees relying on them to put food on their tables. They did what was best for them.

The bottom line is that you weren't let go for having look blood sugar. They let you go because a series on incidents prevented you from doing your job in a very short time frame. They very well could have had other reasons as well.

Hopefully this leads to bigger and better employment opportunities.

Last edited:

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
First of all, I'm sorry for your troubles.

I was in the employment business (headhunter) for 25 years, but retired now for 4-5 years. When the ADA rolled out (Americans with Disabilities Act) about twenty five years ago there was a defining clause that we all repeated to job applicants when it came up. That is, an employer must make "reasonable" accommodation for those with disabilities.

What is "reasonable" in your case? I'm sure it depends on the job, and job requirements. One of the reasons employers are willing to spend the extra funds it takes to hire people temporarily or on contract (where they aren't the employer of record) is that I am pretty sure it is a lot easier for them to make these kinds of hard decisions in letting someone go. I was in the "permanent placement" field so I am by no means an expert on the "ins and outs" of temporary/contract placement and those applicable employment guidelines regarding the ADA.

I'm not suggesting it's "fair" either, just my observation from these circumstances. Best of luck to you in getting your meds straight and your employment worked out.

Last edited:

madscotsman

Established Member
Do you check your blood sugar? You should be checking it before and about 2 hours after each meal. Why does it get to the point that it takes other people to assist you with low blood sugars?? Don't you have any symptoms you feel as your sugar drops??? I have been a type 1 diabetic for around 28 years and always keep an extra BG meter and juice boxes+candy at my desk, and hard candy in my car and pockets.

If you are checking your blood glucose like you are supposed to, you would/should rarely need any assistance from others for a low blood sugar. Other than unexpected lows from exercise, or taking too much insulin/oral meds for what your meals require. I imagine they probably feel as if you are a liability since you have had multiple instance that required other's intervention. Sounds like you need to focus more on getting your blood sugar and pain under control, then you wont have to worry about being fired. Not sure what type of work you do, but can your condition cause others harm if you lose consciousness???

Diabetes is with YOU for life and it's up to YOU to take control and manage your condition. Don't wait weeks for another MD appointment for them to put your meds back how you were, do it yourself now. Why risk loosing consciousness and dying or killing someone else. Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) takes years to do damage to your body, while Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), can kill you any day if untreated. Dr's are a dime a dozen and merely a tool needed to help you with your condition. Many different ones will likely come and go throughout your life. Take their suggestions with a grain of salt and if they start you on a new med that causes low sugars, don't be afraid to stop taking it, or break that pill in half (oral), or to adjust the dose down a few units (insulin) yourself, if either is causing repeated hypoglycemic events. Just make sure you communicate with your current MD about the changes.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
As stated - it was a contract position. One of the reasons companies pay the extra expense to use these agencies is because they can just get rid of people for any reason or no reason. As you found out - they don't even have to do the actual firing. I believe you will find you have no recourse.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
That's the dangers of contract work.

Unfortunately, despite it being unkind, health issues of the employee do hurt a companies ability to perform as it cripples productivity. If you had been working for them for a year or more and this occurred, I could see them being more lenient. But you started out of the gate with issues and created a bad situation for yourself and for them. Proper care of your blood sugar levels with proper diet would have probably mitigated the issue.

I feel for you. But I don't believe it's fair to blame a company or expect them to hang on to you when you continually disrupted productivity while also being very new.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I'm sorry. At least you are still trying to work, so I don't want to be discouraging.

I don't know the laws to be honest, but I would assume that if your condition is impairing your ability to do the job then he would be justified in letting you go.
That would make sense to me, both ethically and legally but I don't know the law.
I'm sorry that you are having medical issues though and wish you the best in moving forward.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Yeah, I'm sorry man, but you don't really have a case.

Employers can let you go if you cannot do the work due to a medical reason if they are unable to accommodate you within reason or if your condition is a safety risk to you or anyone else.

10splaya22

Established Member
I've been a diabetic for over 10 years and have had lows but not at the severity and not as common as you. I can start myself getting low but I can feel it and immediately start to correct it. Sounds like you need to manage it a little better. It shouldn't be dropping so low where people have to help you like that. In 10 years I've had people need to help me maybe 4 times.

Unfortunately since you are on contract there isn't much you can do. Hopefully you can get your diabetes under control.

08mojo

Established Member
Hate to say it, but I agree with the others. Wishing you the best and hopefully this is just a minor setback!

98slowbra

Established Member
I am a brittle type 1 so I have not felt a low blood sugar in over 12 years and yes I check it more then 6 times a day, so I was doing the best I could, oh well I will be out looking for another IT job, this will not get me down, after what happened I would not want to work for that kind of company, so I will get a better job, just takes time.
Do have a docs appt on the 16th to put my meds back the way they were so I will not have to deal with this again, This was the 1st time in 26 years of IT I had issues and when I get put back on my original meds I am sure this will not happen again.
Even with the 10 ruptured discs in my back 5 in my neck that sends a burning pain down my shoulder, 3 in the middle of my back that sends a pain around to the front of my check feels like you are having a heart attack, and 2 in my lower back that hits the nerve and sends that down my leg to feel stiff all the time and being a brittle type 1 diabetic I still want to and will go to work I will not take advantage of the system and collect disability, I can work so I will work. Something else will come up soon just takes time and thanks for the replies all.

Last edited:

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
That sucks man but I agree you don't have a case. Good luck in finding something new, everything happens for a reason. Learn from this experience, grow and move on in life. When one door closes another one opens, I've gone through some serious shit in the last 7 months and I'm a 1000X better person because of it.

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
T1 for 28 years as well. I've had those days to where you don't feel it plummet until its too late. Hell I've had it happen while eating lunch. I'm sorry about your situation. I've been at my employer for 17 years. One of the first things I informed my boss was about my health. Because you never know. And it lets those around you know if you're not acting "yourself", to mention it. You don't always realize hypos. I went a long while feeling normal walking around in the 40's. Not a good thing. In my time of working where I am, I've had help 3 times where I was awakened with an IV in my arm. I have a drawer filled with glucose and carry gel everywhere. The tablets suck. Either way, as already stated, go over your meds, modify what you need to and keep contact with your doctor when you make changes.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I got let go from a full time construction job I had been at for 4 years because I got Mono. I was out for two weeks, came back but my Spleen was still swollen and even with a doctor's note they let me go. I had to leave early because I was still sick and boss called and said I was done. I felt it was wrong as I legitimately was still sick and running a fever and profusely sweating, but didnt fight it as I was good friends with my employer's family. I understood their situation and I was only like 21, which looking back I dont feel like my work ethic was the best at the time even though I tried to bust my ass for them. I just know now I could have done better. It is what it is and I moved on to better things.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98slowbra

Established Member
I did speak with the ADA and they are getting the Legal Advocate program in place to help me out, we will see what happens.

tistan

Established Member
What happened to move on and find another job? Regardless of medical condition, you were unreliable. Now you want to sue. It looks to me like the employer saved himself much future headache.

98slowbra

Established Member
What happened to move on and find another job? Regardless of medical condition, you were unreliable. Now you want to sue. It looks to me like the employer saved himself much future headache.
Never said I was going to sue, I reread my stuff and no where did I put that down. Letting some one go for a medical issue is against the law it is called discrimination and the company should not be able to do that. I am seeing what my rights are.

Users who are viewing this thread