Got me an SHO, Look at this mess!!

Mr. Negative

Established Member
Got me an SHO, Look at this mess!!

A few months ago, I got a 97 Taurus SHO. 95,000 miles, sun roof, leather, cd changer. It had the usual SHO spun cam gear\bent valves. I have the motor out and once it's fixed, I'm gonna unload it for a hefty profit!!! Kelly BB has this car worth up to $5,500!!

I found a used cam and valves for $75.00, paid $800.00 for machine work, about $450.00 in gaskets. I welded all the cam gears.

Even though it looks like a total mess, I was surprised at how easy this engine was to get out and work on. It took less than 2 1\2 hours to get it out and not too long to get it apart. The front intake cam gear spun and bent all 8 intake valves. There was NO piston or cyl damage. If I wasn't so damn sick and tired of working on cars, I would actually like tinkering with this engine. It is kinda a neat design with all the intake runners and all. One thing about these SHO engines is that other than the faulty cam's they seem to never wear out. The inside looks like new, No visible wear on anything!

I can't wait to get this done and get it out on a test ride or two!!

By the way, I got this car for FREE :banana:

SHO_03_resize.gif

SHO_04_resize.gif

SHO_05_resize.gif

4 valve DOHC heads are neat!!

SHO_06_resize.gif

SHO_10_resize.gif

Rear head on:

SHO_13_resize.gif

Front head on:

SHO_14_resize.gif

Tomorrow, Cams and intake go on:

SHO_16_resize.gif

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Looks like a baby Cobra motor! Aren't those like a 3.9 liter? Any relation to the Lincoln LS motors?

I'm a newbie when it comes to V8 SHO's, all I know is they should have been made longer and come with a manual!

Good job on bringing it back to life :beer:

Mr. Negative

Established Member
Oldnavyt said:
Well, any progress on your car Sir?

It runs, It runs!!!!!!!!

SHORS_01.gif

SHORS_03.gif

SHORS_05.gif

SHORS_11.gif

SHORS_12.gif

SHORS_13.gif

SHORS_15.gif

:rockon: :rolling: :banana:

Runs great. No check engine light, no noise, no leaks, Has all the gears, Everything works, and it spins tires from a roll in 2nd. To bad it doesn't have plates so I couldn't take it out of our lot. I just have to wrap up a few lil things, install the wiper motor and cowl, charge the A\C. Then it goes to the body shop to remove 1 lil dent and re shoot the bumpers. Then it's for sale.
:beer: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Chris Benvie said:
Nothing like any motor actually.
Actually, its basically a 2.5L Duratec with two more cylinders...

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
This is off topic but my dad just bought a 97 Taurus with a 3.0 I think with DOHC. The problem is that the car had water in the tank but was drained then after a couple weeks of driving around the people just parked it. It was parked for 7 months and today we put a new battery in it and started in 5-7 cranks. The problem is that is has a very loud tic coming from the motor. We thought it might have been the lifters being dry but anfter a few minutes it was still lound just not as lound. Any help would be great. Oh the car has 145000 on it.

Oldnavyt

Established Member
Do not start it anymore! It sounds like the cam failure is about to occur. Go here to learn more and have them welded before they fail and cause valve and other damage.http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/96shohome.html
The cam sprockets are pressed onto the camshaft and cam become loose and turn independent of the shaft itself. Once they are welded though these engines are fairly bullet proof.
Here is a link to a video that will show what it is http://www.venom.org/showhat9/CAMFAILUREvideo-dialup.wmv.
There are people all over the states who will weld them for around 400 and up. http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/FolksWhoWillWeldYourCams.htm
What ever you do check out V8SHO.COM for all you would ever want to know about these cars. If it is a 97 SHO it more than likely has the 3.4 V8 unless someone put another motor in there. good luck and post back more about the car.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Oldnavyt, he doesn't have the 3.4L, and the 3.0Ls haven't had a cam problem...

I'd change the oil and the other basics. Sounds like the oil might have sludged and not allowing something to do its job, either hte lifters or chain tensioners...

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Thanks so much for the relies Oldnavyt andRTStabler51. I'll go to the forums you posted Oldnavyt and were deffinatly going to change the oil RTStabler51. Thanks again guys.
Jerrad

Oldnavyt

Established Member
Sorry man, I freaked out and did not notice that it was a regular Taurus, my bad. I am the panic type I guess, that and a little liquored up last night. Hahahaha!

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Its deffinatly cool. I'd rather you post and be a little confused rather than not post and be right. I think we fixed the problem. We took off the valve cover and a couple of the valves were stuck. We sprayed some good lube on there and they started opening and closing again. Now we need to change the oil and hopefully we'll be set. Thanks again guys.
Jerrad

Oldnavyt

Established Member
Just glad it was nothing too bad, thats all. I have been on needles and pins since I found this on my drain plug and can think about nothing else, so I have failure on the brain.
I am calling the shop that welded me today to see what they have to say.
DrainPlug001.gif

DrainPlug002.gif

Oldnavyt

Established Member
Yeah, they said it is normal. After had done 100 or more cars I guess they would know. they have not had any failures due to the work. they said that's why they put magnetic plugs in all their weld jobs. It is not like that is going to get by the oil pump screen anyway. The car runs great, no problems what so ever, just kind of a shock that takes your breath away. They could have warned me about it though.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
You probably already thought of this but if I were you I'd drain the oil every other week to check and get all the metal out ASAP. Glad to hear it's normal and no $$$ involved.

blue92

Established Member
jerrad said:
This is off topic but my dad just bought a 97 Taurus with a 3.0 I think with DOHC. The problem is that the car had water in the tank but was drained then after a couple weeks of driving around the people just parked it. It was parked for 7 months and today we put a new battery in it and started in 5-7 cranks. The problem is that is has a very loud tic coming from the motor. We thought it might have been the lifters being dry but anfter a few minutes it was still lound just not as lound. Any help would be great. Oh the car has 145000 on it.

Two words, rod bearings. :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread