Got my engine :)

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
Picked up my JLP shortblock that was assembled with stock 02 heads/cams.
I'm gonna tear it back down to a shortblock, put a set of 04 heads on it, Comp. Cams stage 2 (have em in my garage), and the necessary valvetrain upgrades (LFP's cam upgrade kit). Then I'll be ready to drop her in!
IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

Started the tear-down this morning to clean it up and see what parts I need to order:
IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

Do you think this will affect anything other than appearance?
Here is a indention on the top of the piston (no idea how that happened)
IMG_1501.jpg

Also, can I get away with bolting on my Bassani shorty headers before I drop it in, will it clear?
Which head gasket should I go with, I plan to run a ported Eaton at 16psi + a 200-250 shot of n2o?
I can't wait to put a big-***** shot of n2o on it!!!:cool:
-Joshua

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
Spray your N2O, I got something for you, lol.

Got something for me?!?! What did you get me, a magnified rear-view mirror to keep an eye on you?
Type is CHEAP! Bring it Bioch!!! lol j/k brotha
What have you got in the works? Papito building you one?
-Joshua

Last edited:

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Nah, decided to not go with Al. Found a deal that I couldnt refuse, lol. We'll see whos going to be talking trash when we get down to the track.

Im not going to be using any nitrous, ALL BOOST!!

Last edited:

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
Nah, decided to not go with Al. Found a deal that I couldnt refuse, lol. We'll see whos going to be talking trash when we get down to the track.

Im not going to be using any nitrous, ALL BOOST!!

You know I'm just playing with you, so that's all you are gonna leave me with, built engine with "all boost"?
-Joshua

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
You know I'm just playing with you, so that's all you are gonna leave me with, built engine with "all boost"?
-Joshua

Yeah man, I know its all in fun. And yes, thats exactly what Im going to leave you with, lol.:banana:

FordFanStan

Established Member
Details FleeMan details...

Congrats on going built. Can I ask though, why did you order the long block from JLP only to tear it down and swap out the top end?... Stan

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
I think he bought it from someone that didn't install it. And it came as a complete long block. He is putting on 8thread heads and I guess selling the ones that came on the motor. From what I hear, the motor was never installed or turned over. Which can't be with the valve to piston mark.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Im Blown, can you post a picture of the piston with a mark from farther away? Or at least let us know which side of which piston that is. Even if it was turned over by hand with force it could have possibly caused that indention, if it is in fact from the valve. This is extremely important as you need to know what caused this and why. The mark that is there doesn't look like it was caused with too much force, that is why I'm thinking that it could be casued from the intake valve on that cylinder possibly when cranked over by hand... Stan

Kellyo77

keep calm and chive on!
Established Member
My guess is it is from when the timing chains were being put on, the cam followers were in already, and the cam flipped around and caused the valve to hit the piston.

Not that I have done that before or anything..lol

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Details FleeMan details...

I'll post pictures and details when I get my Longblock. Should be by next week now. Its taking a little longer then what I wanted because at the last minute I decided for them to put the heads on and time them.

roach4047

Established Member
My JLP short block pistons were marked JLP with a directional arrow on each piston. Does the marking wear off after the motor is used/fired up?

FordFanStan

Established Member
My JLP short block pistons were marked JLP with a directional arrow on each piston. Does the marking wear off after the motor is used/fired up?

I have seen JLP engines after long term use, and some of the marking is still on the piston.

I was surprised to see on these pistons no markings. Usually JLP uses Manley pistons, can you look at the back of the pistons and see if they are the same?... Stan

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
I have seen JLP engines after long term use, and some of the marking is still on the piston.

I was surprised to see on these pistons no markings. Usually JLP uses Manley pistons, can you look at the back of the pistons and see if they are the same?... Stan

This is really odd... I checked out the pistons and the are CP pistons with a number 46 under the CP marking. I tried to call JLP to see if they ever substituted Manley for CP, but apparently they are closed Wednesdays.
How good are CP pistons? And I tried to identify the rods but I can't see any markings, they are "H beam" rods and use ARP 2000 fasteners. What do you think is going on here? And I examined all the valves there is no sign of any kind of trauma to any of them.
Here are some more pics for ya Stan, oh and what head gaskets would you recommend?:
IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

-Joshua

Im Blown

deployed to the sandbox.
Established Member
I see what I think is a big problem and may explain some things... there are two pistons that are marred up the one in the center and the one on the left:
IMG_1506.jpg

Now I've got the engine on a stand and rotated it to see underneath to find that the pistons are CP and the two that are marred have oil stains on the underside (used) and have extra markings too!!! The two say "CP 46 ModMAx" and the others only say "CP" they are slightly different if you notice the perimeter has an extra angle on the ModMax ones:
"CP"
IMG_1511.jpg

"ModMax"
IMG_1513.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread