Got my Z06 back today from a headers/cam install! (Vid Inside)

mac_05evo

Established Member
Even though I don't have my Cobra anymore this is probably still my favorite forum and I just wanted to whore out my car a lil bit :D Picked it up today from InTune Motorsports in Charelston, TN. If anyone in the TN/GA/AL area is in need of some work (Cobra, Z06, FRC, LS whatever) give them a call, 423.336.5850!! I can't say enough good things about the guys up there and Scott can really work some magic with a few hours and a laptop.

Let me know what you guys think!

Idle vid:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-efRZEdRK10"]YouTube - 2002 Corvette Z06 Startup/Idle Vid[/ame]

Quick rundown:
02 Z06 with Texas Speed longtubes and x-pipe, Bullet custom grind cam with titanium springs/retainers, hardened pushrods, and tuned by Scott at InTune Motorsports.

Dyno sheet:
DSC00586web.jpg

Thanks
-Mac M.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
sounds great!
i'm good friends with the guys at TSP, they're a good group of guys and their products are great! enjoy your setup and get a bottle on that bia!

MysticVert

Established Member
Sounds real good!
I traded a cobra for a vette, then realized what a huge mistake i had made, and traded the vette back in for a cobra!!!!
j/k on the huge mistake......nice Vette!

MustangThief

Established Member
Holy stinkfist, that's the only way I would want a vette to sound if I owned one. I would have to cam it immediately, they just sound too badass cammed.

Isn't it running too lean?

You have anymore plans for more power soon? and yeah, how's it feel? :D

Man, if I raced a z06 that sounded like that and won, I'd wanna make sure someone didn't twin turbo my car while I wasn't looking. :lol:

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
Wow.. Sounds badazz man ! I'm really considering a z06 for my next car... as soon as my current car is sold i'm gonna get back into an 03/04 cobra, turbo mach 1, or possibly a z06... How do you like the z06 coming out of an 03 cobra ?? My last cobra was a kenne bell so i know i'd have to beef up the z06 to make that kinda power.

1.8t

Established Member
What are the specs on the cam. Not even 385whp on a Mustang? From the idle the cam sounds big, I would have thought you would hit 400whp on a Mustang dyno. Sounds great none the less ;)

whiplash306

Established Member
... How do you like the z06 coming out of an 03 cobra ?? My last cobra was a kenne bell so i know i'd have to beef up the z06 to make that kinda power.
In response to your question and coming out of an '04 pullied, full exhaust, cai and tuned Cobra, here's my thoughts (written awhile back on another board) after purchasing my '02 ZO6:

"This (the ZO6) is a driver's car...meant to be driven HARD! While it is comfortable, I don't believe it's meant to be! You hear and feel EVERYTHING. There isn't ONE pebble, deviation or crack in the road that isn't exacerbated! There is DEFINATELY a reason why people consider the C5 Z06 to be a street legal race car! The thing is MEAN!!!! Without a doubt, in the performance department, the bang for the buck is untouchable in stock form! Stab the throttle in ANY gear and she pulls ahead like a fricken' FREIGHT TRAIN. Make sure the ground isn't even the slightest bit damp when mashing the gas even in 3rd or the tires WILL break loose! But yeah, when the roads are dry, WATCHOUT!!!! I've never been in a stock car that feels or sounds like this car! Even through cats and still on the stock titanium catback exhaust, she ROARS...I mean, just PISSY sounding!!!

OK, so after having owned 9 Mustangs, here's my comparison between the two. In STOCK form, acceleration and handling...there is NO COMPARISON...the Z absolutely DESTROYS the Mustang ('03+ Cobra included). Shoot, my '04 pullied/intake/tune Cobra vert performed!!! (12.4 at 114.13 on street tires).....this Z, BONE STOCK, ran a 12.4 at 116.2 spinning a tad through 1st and 2nd!!! Hey boys n' girls, that's an 11 sec time slip on slicks!!!! Technology again goes to the Vette...405 hp and I got 29.002 mpg at best and NO LESS than 26.9 mpg on the trip home! I'm betting that with the cruise set at about 70 mph, she'll knock out an easy 30+ mpg! That's unreal! OK, so how about fit n' finish??? The Mustang has the Vette beat IMO('01-'04 C5 ZO6). There may be a good reason to this though as Chevy had to do whatever they could to lower the weight on these Z's to make them perform like they do. Regardless though, I am NOT impressed with the interior build quality of the Z and the stereo definately is NOT even close to par with the Mach 460 or 1000. Believe it or not, I also believe the leather that Ford uses in it's Mustangs to be better than Chevy uses in it's flagship Vettes. Pretty sad if you ask me! "

I could go on and on about how impressed I am with the ZO6, but you'll never believe it until you get behind the wheel of one. Branch out a bit more and buy one....if you aren't as impressed as most are after having owned one, slide right back in to an '03/'04 Cobra...no shame in that!!!!

Last edited:

mac_05evo

Established Member
Very nice .....hope to do the same thing to my '02 ZO6 before long. I'll be using LG though as they're local....!
Nice choice, good luck w/ your's man!
nice sounding z06. why did you sell the cobra? is that sheet 5 hours old?
I sold the Cobra because I was planning on making the move on one of the new Evo X's but then decided against it. Started to buy another Terminator but decided to try this out first. What do you mean by 5 hrs old, like was it printed 5 hrs ago?? lol
sounds great!
i'm good friends with the guys at TSP, they're a good group of guys and their products are great! enjoy your setup and get a bottle on that bia!
Thanks man!! The bottle will probably be coming soon! :rockon:
i like it.

how does it feel?

whats the cam #?
It feels great, VERY smooth and linear in power. It's a custom ground cam, specs are 236/240 .603/.612 and 112+4 LSA.
Isn't it running too lean?

You have anymore plans for more power soon? and yeah, how's it feel? :D
I don't guess so (I'm not sure what the optimal a/f is on these cars), he said he had everything right where he wanted it. They were using a wideband in a bung up front and also a tailpipe sniffer and they were both reading spot on. :) I'll probably do a little spray in the near future and possibly some heads later on if I decide to stick with it for a while. Feels great though, very smooth and linear in power!

Wow.. Sounds badazz man ! I'm really considering a z06 for my next car... as soon as my current car is sold i'm gonna get back into an 03/04 cobra, turbo mach 1, or possibly a z06... How do you like the z06 coming out of an 03 cobra ?? My last cobra was a kenne bell so i know i'd have to beef up the z06 to make that kinda power.
Thanks man! Honestly, I think the other review seems a bit extreme in some of his points haha. But anyhow I like the Vette, however, it definitely scares the crap out of me at times. It handles a LOT different, I guess mainly due to being so much lighther. It feels like you can just throw it through the turns a lot more and sticks unbelievably. You can definitely feel the entire car rotating through turns and it feels setup really well. The Cobra was probably more fun for low end torque (especially now w/ the big cam) and getting the ass end to slide around but can't go wrong either way imo. One thing I don't like on the Z06 though is the steering quickness, seems more sluggish and slower than my Cobra was (my Evo felt like a damn go cart though and I absolutely loved that). IE have to turn wheel farther to turn (steering ratio?) Like the other guy said 30 mpg on the interstate isn't too shabby either!!

What are the specs on the cam. Not even 385whp on a Mustang? From the idle the cam sounds big, I would have thought you would hit 400whp on a Mustang dyno. Sounds great none the less ;)
See above for cam specs. This dyno is referred to by most around here as the heartbreaker. For reference my 03 Cobra made 492/476 at MPH and only made 416/408 on this dyno. They said my car did better than some head/cam Z06's they've done in the past.
Sounds good. What size is the cam

See above, please.

Thanks for all the compliments though guys!! :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread