Got orders to Korea

speedsun

Established Member
Found out I'll be leaving for Kunsan AB at the end of the year. Kinda excited and sad at the same time :/

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Don't you get the pick of your choice for your next duty station after going to Korea?

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I "hear" that it's not too bad over there. Guess you have to do tons of exercises though.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I "hear" that it's not too bad over there. Guess you have to do tons of exercises though.

Screw that. Korea sucks.

Sure you can have a good time, but at the end of the day, you're still in Korea.

I have two friends stationed there now. I'm glad I'll never end up there...

Japan on the other hand would be kind of cool.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
im at osan now. just got here about a month ago and finally went off base for the first time last night, its just something they do with SF. I did however get to meet my enemy soju. its a rice liquor that you cant taste and mixes with anything. dont listen to the bad comments about korea its going to be as good as you make it. although the pay cut does suck, no more bah/bas

speedsun

Established Member
I'm married and my wife is moving back in with her folks. Im about to bank so much money. haha

family sep too!!!! w00t!

usafimj

Established Member
Korea is a good time no matter where you're at. Everyone there is in the suck with you going through the same thing. You'll get extremely close with the people you work with. Try to control the drinking. I drank way to much cuz its so cheap and there's nothing much to do and didn't travel enough The exercises aren't that bad. It's just part of the job. As mentioned above make the best of it and you'll have a great tour and make some great friends.

OU812

Established Member
Found out I'll be leaving for Kunsan AB at the end of the year. Kinda excited and sad at the same time :/

I'll trade you man....lol I'm going to freaking Minot! Only plus side is my flight chief here is going there to, he's going to pull me to work for him again in MXS so I won't have to deal with the cold that much!

bunk22

Established Member
From Jul 09 - Jul 10, I was the XO of MSCO Korea in Busan, South Korea. I will say Kunsan is not that great, been there but Busan was fantastic. Granted, there are less than 100 US military in a city of 4.5 million people and I had a brand new 3 bedroom apartment over looking the beach with bar, including many ex-pat bar in Hyundai Beach nearby. For a non flying tour, it was a fantastic time. But again, that was Busan :rolling:

speedsun

Established Member
Ill manage. Im kinda stoked about getting away from Hurlburt Field. The way we have been deploying is gay. Some guys are 4 on 4 off right now

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Your going to an AirForce base..COME ON!!! Your in for a decent tour. And quality of life is great look at it that way.

Its hella better being here than some COP out on the mountains of The 'Stan or sittin in Kuwait trying for 6 days living in a tent trying to fly into theatre

Now, the upside about Korea, I was here 12 years ago up on the DMZ when as I am told now "the WILD DAYS" of going out on the town. But being here now, 12 years later, things are a bit better as far as creature comforts....

I get BAH, OHA, Haz pay (which I dont know why), and COLA, seperation pay. And my car mod savings is growing at a very rapid rate...All the while Im not dodging IED's or getting shot the F-ck at. I have my own place off post, a hooptie, , and things are managable.

Also you maybe entittled to consider staying 24 months, in which you would than qualify for an additional $300.00 per month to serve 24 months.

In any case, Im dong 12 months. Not all money is good money, and I miss my Cobras:beer:

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't you get the pick of your choice for your next duty station after going to Korea?

Nope. You are entitled to apply for a follow on. IIRC 8 overseas and 8 CONUS. I didn't list any CONUS bases and got my number 5 Okinawa. I know of many people that their follow on got denied (picked the wrong places at the wrong time), and had to play the AMS window game...

Fuerza

Established Member
Your going to an AirForce base..COME ON!!! Your in for a decent tour. And quality of life is great look at it that way.

Its hella better being here than some COP out on the mountains of The 'Stan or sittin in Kuwait trying for 6 days living in a tent trying to fly into theatre

Now, the upside about Korea, I was here 12 years ago up on the DMZ when as I am told now "the WILD DAYS" of going out on the town. But being here now, 12 years later, things are a bit better as far as creature comforts....

I get BAH, OHA, Haz pay (which I dont know why), and COLA, seperation pay. And my car mod savings is growing at a very rapid rate...All the while Im not dodging IED's or getting shot the F-ck at. I have my own place off post, a hooptie, , and things are managable.

Also you maybe entittled to consider staying 24 months, in which you would than qualify for an additional $300.00 per month to serve 24 months.

In any case, Im dong 12 months. Not all money is good money, and I miss my Cobras:beer:

Are you doing 12 month unaccompanied? I'm looking for a duty station after Fort Bliss and Korea wouldn't be bad. I see your a Fister, so where are you getting stationed and could you take your family with you?

birch

Go 'Eers!
Established Member
I spent 2009-mid 2011 at Osan (command sponsored)...the best assignment of my 16 year career. You will find yourself taking weekend trips to Osan though, lol. Korea only sucks if you stay in your room and do nothing but play video games and drink. Korea offers so many opportunities to travel and see different things. Seoul, DMZ...awesome places. Not too mention you can travel anywhere out of Incheon (and Korean Air is one of the best airlines in the world)

I could go on and on...not to mention this is coming from a country hick who'd rather be on a riverbank drinking some beer and catfishing :)

As with any assignment, it's what you make of it. I don't know your rank OP, but I'll go out on a limb and say you're a Staff or Tech...you have no idea how important you are in the CoC...a lot of first-term Amn there who really need guidance from the Staffs and Techs...not to mention Soju can make you do some silly things!

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Come on Matt... One tour. Just do one tour.... and then you can say it sucks. LOL I would go back especially if I need to do my KD time.

Screw that. Korea sucks.

Sure you can have a good time, but at the end of the day, you're still in Korea.

I have two friends stationed there now. I'm glad I'll never end up there...

Japan on the other hand would be kind of cool.

Fuerza

Established Member
Come on Matt... One tour. Just do one tour.... and then you can say it sucks. LOL I would go back especially if I need to do my KD time.

That is what is appealing to me about going to Korea, I could knock out my BN FSO time and move on quickly. I had a great time in Korea when I was enlisted, first time I was single and the 2nd time I was married.

Users who are viewing this thread