Got rid of the 01 cobra, went PAST the Darkside (Mazda Content)

HoustonGT

Established Member
Well, I recently put the Cobra back to stock and with 105k miles and its multiple issues and my career plans, I needed to upgrade to something a bit more practical and roomy.

Drove to Austin Saturday and made a deal on an '07 Mazdaspeed6. It's a 1-owner Texas car w/ 40k miles and looks pretty much like its brand new.

*274hp/280tq 2.3L Turbo Motor
*Active AWD w/ a great suspension setup
*6-spd
*HID's, Leather, etc.
*Averaging about 24-25 mpg so far
*13.8-14.4 with a decent driver and high-12's with bolt-ons

So far, I am completely impressed with the refinement and quality of the car and how much low-end torque it seems to have. Accelerates effortlessly and pulls pretty well in the higher RPM's....It's no Cobra, but it's more than enough to keep me entertained and of course, the gains are great once you start modding with the forged turbo motor.

It rained all weekend here (thank the Baby Jesus), so for now i just have a few pics from the dealer's website...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
Very nice. We're actually looking at those right now so we can get the family around twon without needing to cram into the Mustangs or dump money into the fuel tank of the SUV.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I like them for the most part. Gas mileage is nothing to write home about though, (I was averaging 17 mixed :shrug:) I always figured it was due to the short gearing and AWD.

Last edited:

HoustonGT

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words yall.

My gas mileage has actually been pretty damn good...been goosing it to hear the turbo a bunch and approaching 300 miles with a 1/4 tank to go :banana:

I traded the Cobra in...was going to sell privately but just didn't have the time to commit to doing so.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
They're a very fun but quirky car. Don't be too scared the first time the engine light comes on. Mazda6club.com is a VERY informative forum for those cars. I just totaled an 06 VRM GT. i love those cars but have had terrible luck. Have fun with her and good luck.

schiccc

Established Member
i had one too same color but cloth.it was a fun little car but just didnt seem well built and it would smoke at idle which was a seal in the turbo and had to really fight with dealer to get it replaced careful not to lug it out under boost at low rpm too.

HoustonGT

Established Member
i had one too same color but cloth.it was a fun little car but just didnt seem well built and it would smoke at idle which was a seal in the turbo and had to really fight with dealer to get it replaced careful not to lug it out under boost at low rpm too.

Yea i'm aware of the smoking issue and made sure to do the check during the test drive twice to make sure it wasn't smoking.

I heard about trying to keep it out of boost below 3k rpm's and to make sure and replace the crappy stock motor mount as well...

schiccc

Established Member
my first mod was to replace the lower dog bone mount under trans.i went with a awr it was less than 80 bucks,makes a huge diffrence then did a cobb intake and test pipe.i would also look into the jbarone shifter plate.i put a boost gauge mounted on steering colum so i could monitor boost at low rpms.

HoustonGT

Established Member
my first mod was to replace the lower dog bone mount under trans.i went with a awr it was less than 80 bucks,makes a huge diffrence then did a cobb intake and test pipe.i would also look into the jbarone shifter plate.i put a boost gauge mounted on steering colum so i could monitor boost at low rpms.

Thanks alot for the advice. Would you suggest getting the JBR Shift plate or the TWM Short Throw instead? Or maybe both?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a good looking car. Congratulations! Nice color. Looks to be in awesome shape. Best of luck with it. :)

cheese5.0

Cheese...?
Established Member
if you dont mind me asking how much did you pick it up for? i've been looking at getting into one of these in the near future, yours looks really clean :thumbsup:

HoustonGT

Established Member
if you dont mind me asking how much did you pick it up for? i've been looking at getting into one of these in the near future, yours looks really clean :thumbsup:

I got this one for 17k, which was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but they made up for it by giving me about 1,200 more for my trade than anyone else AND the vehicle was in better shape than any other Speed6 that I looked at.

They can be had for less, especially an '06, but maybe with a few more miles.

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
I loved mine while i had it, if you have decent highway commute it's not hard to get close to 25mpg out of it. I really like that color.

Users who are viewing this thread