Got some new dyno #'s, fairly low for a ported blower...

Power Trip

Established Member
Hey guys,

I got my car dynoed in april. I had not dynoed it at all before this time, the dyno #'s in the sig are going off what the previous owner had told me.

I put down 460/465 sae. Mike dez(the tuner) thought that #'s were VERY low for a ported car, and i agree, from what i see around here. He does think the stock MAF may be holding me back(or the blower is not really ported).. So maybe a maf and a retune will be in order come next winter( im not planing on spending any money on it this summer). When i get some time ill have to pop the blower off to take a looksy as well.

I guess i was kinda happy to see the #'s kinda low, cause the car does run pretty well(times in sig), so i know if it hits the 500 mark, it will really be moving, especially once i swap to a solid rear in the winter.

Anyways, i can post up the dyno sheets if people are interested tomorrow. Just gimme your thoughts...

Power Trip

Established Member
SA SNAKE said:
Your times look good so I would not worry about the dyno #'s. You have a fast car.

Gil

Thanks. I do agree that it moves pretty well. Mainly i would like to firgure out what is causing my low #'s. Do you guys think a stock MAF could have anything to do with it, or maybe lfps port job?

I would LOVE to gain that extra 30 or so hp and see what the car can do in some cool weather.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
A 121 trap says your car moves for the power its putting out. I made 467/490 and trap 119 with a 1.79 60'. Are you positive the blower porter?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your trap speed would seem to say you're making more power than the dyno is saying. I was making 504rwhp and 494rwtq and the new owner ran an 11.4 or so @ 122. You're darn close to that. Can you try another dyno and see if your numbers change? I'd do that first before trying to fix something under the hood. Dynos are great tools but they sometimes lie a bit and can very quickly make us paranoid about our motor. I know, though, that you want to be sure your motor is making optimal power under the assumption your blower is ported.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I've had a dyno read me at 436rwhp and the next day go to another dyno (due to paranoia) and put down 460. I would try another dyno before jumping to conclusions. They have to calibrated and maintained too.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
I dont see a aftermarket HE in your sig do you have one? if not your programming is pulling timing because of the engine temp ...it is going to be a factor at any time with a ported Eaton but more so when the weather gets hotter. pegging the MAf will also contribute to HP #s being off..each car is different when it comes to pegging so it is hard to predict at what hp or mod combo it will peg.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
I concur, i can go to 3 differnt dynos within my area and the numbers
will vary 30 to 60hp. also if you did a bunch of pull you are heat soaked.

even on a dyno with heat exchanger/reservoir it iwll heat soak on a hot way very quickly which can cause a loss of as much as 30hp easily.

your track numbers are definately better then your numbers would suggest so I would also recommend another dyno and drive it easy and let it cool down before doing the pull.

Power Trip

Established Member
Hey thanks everyone for the replies. I do think the dyno #'s are DEAD ON. I found the dyno sheet the previous owner game me, from mustang magic(who tuned the car), 468/472 STD. My new numbers from dez racing, 460/465 SAE. I did the conversion from sae to std, i think its sae x 1.02~ STD right? Well they are about dead on using that method, so i really doubt both these dynoes would read low.

Also, the day i dynoed the sae #'s it was fairly cool out, maybe 50... A new heat exchanger will be coming soon i hope.

As far as translating the dyno #'s to the track, and comparing them to other people with higher #'s then me, theres alot more to it. I really push the car at the track, and when i ran my 121 runs it was in the 40's, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Kinda off topic question, but does anyone know if theres a "shift retard" on these cars when the engine temps are high? Shift retard meaning the comp is pulling timing as you are shifting the car, like in the 94/95 mustangs.

03snakebite- I bet if you pulled a 1.6 range 60 ft, launching from 4-5k like i am, you would see a slight increase in MPH...

95YellowGTBeast

LS7killr
Established Member
Power Trip said:
Hey thanks everyone for the replies. I do think the dyno #'s are DEAD ON. I found the dyno sheet the previous owner game me, from mustang magic(who tuned the car), 468/472 STD. My new numbers from dez racing, 460/465 SAE. I did the conversion from sae to std, i think its sae x 1.02~ STD right? Well they are about dead on using that method, so i really doubt both these dynoes would read low.

Also, the day i dynoed the sae #'s it was fairly cool out, maybe 50... A new heat exchanger will be coming soon i hope.

As far as translating the dyno #'s to the track, and comparing them to other people with higher #'s then me, theres alot more to it. I really push the car at the track, and when i ran my 121 runs it was in the 40's, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Kinda off topic question, but does anyone know if theres a "shift retard" on these cars when the engine temps are high? Shift retard meaning the comp is pulling timing as you are shifting the car, like in the 94/95 mustangs.

03snakebite- I bet if you pulled a 1.6 range 60 ft, launching from 4-5k like i am, you would see a slight increase in MPH...

All mustangs have the shift retard if you download tweecer i can send you the 03 bin file.

Nick

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
get over the dyno #'s.....run it at the track!! your mph is fine

Power Trip said:
Hey guys,

I got my car dynoed in april. I had not dynoed it at all before this time, the dyno #'s in the sig are going off what the previous owner had told me.

I put down 460/465 sae. Mike dez(the tuner) thought that #'s were VERY low for a ported car, and i agree, from what i see around here. He does think the stock MAF may be holding me back(or the blower is not really ported).. So maybe a maf and a retune will be in order come next winter( im not planing on spending any money on it this summer). When i get some time ill have to pop the blower off to take a looksy as well.

I guess i was kinda happy to see the #'s kinda low, cause the car does run pretty well(times in sig), so i know if it hits the 500 mark, it will really be moving, especially once i swap to a solid rear in the winter.

Anyways, i can post up the dyno sheets if people are interested tomorrow. Just gimme your thoughts...

you got a good tune, go run it and enjoy it, don't get caught up in the dyno # paper chase....look at the track history of cars with big dyno #'s...few run the # at the track....something to think about huh! :eek: My own car last year only showed 570 if i remember correctly, yet i ran 10:56 at 129 in 90 degree plus weather in the dead of summer.....with only 17 lbs of boost....go enjoy the car and don't sweat the #'s! :beer: hermann

try03venom

Established Member
I'm the previous owner and the eaton is ported by LFP.I had the tune at Mustang Magic geared towards max torque for track times.horsepower sells cars and torque wins races.DEZ is pulling at straws.Dyno's are a tool if you use the same dyno.I hope the car has treated you well!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread