Got Spanked by an SS

Venom2001

Established Member
Well, I finally got beat by an SS on Friday night. The wife and I were driving home after dinner and I noticed an SS ahead. We both come to this 4 way stop and we let the other traffic go first. We both stepped on it and I had a full car length on him from 1st to 3rd. Mid-way in 4th, he starts coming back and he's at my front tires. By the time I was at the top of 4th (@120) he starts pulling away....and I do mean pulling away as if I was only going 80. I know he had his exhaust done just from the sound, but no way an SS with just exhaust would cake walk me at that speed. We raced twice..both with the same results. I tried to get him to roll down his window in between races...no luck. What do you guys think??

Carlitos

Established Member
You prolly took him off the line because of your 4.10s. He probably still had his stock 3.42s. 3rd gear always seems to be the "magic" gear for the LS1s...that gear just seems to pull like crazy, and it's good for about 100-115 (depending on rev limiter). Also, the top end (4th gear; 120+) is where most LS1 powered vehicles shine.

'Los

LSs1Power

Established Member
I had both cars. I know for a fact that a stock LS1 will pull a lightly modded Cobra after 3rd gear. The 99-01 Cobra dies when it reaches 3-4th gear. On the other hand the LS1 with 3:42 gears doesnt wake up unless u shift to 2nd. The 2nd gear doesnt last long, it will take around a sec or two and then u have to shift to the 3rd gear which will pull like crazy. By the way the end of the 4th gear is 120MPH on the M6 cars. I would say the gears helped u to pull that LS1 until 120. Dont race an LS1 up to that speed unless u have a major power adder or stroker. Nice race.

silver01snake

Established Member
Wow, then I must being having good luck with my 01 cobra. I've never been pulled by an Ls-1 up top or down low. They only one that pulled me was one that was spraying it(75hp shot, Whisper lid,slp loud mouth exhaust and pullies) Well, thats what he told me he had done anyway. I think he had a 150hp shot. So anyway. Do any of you Ls-1 gusy know what a 2002 C-5 mongoose does in the 1/4. I race one the other day 3 times. All from a light. He said before we raced that it was a Mongoose edition and that it had 460hp at the flywheel(it was an automatic). Me and my friend who was in the car were like. I'm going to get my ass killed here. But i said its just for fun so what the hell. You win some you lose some right. So the first race we took off and it was me , him in the c-5 and a steeda 1998 cobra with spray. Light turns green and were off. Me and the c-5 immediately jump the 1998 cobra. At the top of first I have about a car on the C-5. Top of second about 3. Top of third I I just let off. I was like 5 to 6 cars out and still pulling slowly. I was like so much for 460hp. So we pulled over simply because he said. You sprayed me punk. I said you dreaming buddy. But its going on soon. So anyway. I showed him my complete car. Poped the trunk, let him look inside and poped the hood. Then I took a look at his car. All I can say is those cars are bad ass. I really need to know what the hell a Mongoose c-5 is. It had full exhaust all the way( long tube, cats back with 6 damn pipes out the ass end. Ported headed, and a cam. Very very nice car. Carbon fiber valve covers and nice rims and seats. So anyway, he felt froggy any so we went a couple of more times. THe Second time, I beat him just about the same. Third time I really hook good and beat him by about 7 to 8 cars. My friend that was in the car filmed the hole 3 races. So when every his dumb ass put it to disc I'll put it on here guys. So you can see this bad ass vette. Get spanked. Yes I know I'm going to keep flamed real bad by the people on here the get spanked by c-5's or drive Gm's (you just need to learn to drive). Drive it like you want to kill it. IF you dont believe me then oh well. Why do I need to make up a stupid story. I just like to race and these are the some of the facts of me racing. Motor for motor. If you want to race I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. IM me. I would love to meet up.

Last edited:

Vobra

Established Member
Originally posted by LSs1Power
I had both cars. I know for a fact that a stock LS1 will pull a lightly modded Cobra after 3rd gear. The 99-01 Cobra dies when it reaches 3-4th gear.

Your facts are wrong. What is "slightly" modded mean?? Lets take an 01 Cobra with 320hp plus some "slightly" modded things like X pipe, 80mm MAF, pullies, Gears, ect. against a bone stock LS1. Taking those mods into consideration, if the LS1 won (not by much) the 01 Cobra driver couldn't drive.

99-01 Cobra's really don't die seeing how their rev. limit reaches 7K. All Cobra's are known for their top end speed. Have a good day. ;-)

LSs1Power

Established Member
Originally posted by Vobra

Your facts are wrong. What is "slightly" modded mean?? Lets take an 01 Cobra with 320hp plus some "slightly" modded things like X pipe, 80mm MAF, pullies, Gears, ect. against a bone stock LS1. Taking those mods into consideration, if the LS1 won (not by much) the 01 Cobra driver couldn't drive.

99-01 Cobra's really don't die seeing how their rev. limit reaches 7K. All Cobra's are known for their top end speed. Have a good day. ;-)

Can u tell me how much the 99-01Cobra will trap with the mods u listed above???? When racing on the streeeeeets its a whole different story. Because u dont race for 1/4 mile only and when u have a higher trapspeed then it means ur catching up and in the end ur going to pass. So tell me whats the trapspeed on a cobra with these mods?

LSs1Power

Established Member
Originally posted by silver01snake
Wow, then I must being having good luck with my 01 cobra. I've never been pulled by an Ls-1 up top or down low. They only one that pulled me was one that was spraying it(75hp shot, Whisper lid,slp loud mouth exhaust and pullies) Well, thats what he told me he had done anyway. I think he had a 150hp shot. So anyway. Do any of you Ls-1 gusy know what a 2002 C-5 mongoose does in the 1/4. I race one the other day 3 times. All from a light. He said before we raced that it was a Mongoose edition and that it had 460hp at the flywheel(it was an automatic). Me and my friend who was in the car were like. I'm going to get my ass killed here. But i said its just for fun so what the hell. You win some you lose some right. So the first race we took off and it was me , him in the c-5 and a steeda 1998 cobra with spray. Light turns green and were off. Me and the c-5 immediately jump the 1998 cobra. At the top of first I have about a car on the C-5. Top of second about 3. Top of third I I just let off. I was like 5 to 6 cars out and still pulling slowly. I was like so much for 460hp. So we pulled over simply because he said. You sprayed me punk. I said you dreaming buddy. But its going on soon. So anyway. I showed him my complete car. Poped the trunk, let him look inside and poped the hood. Then I took a look at his car. All I can say is those cars are bad ass. I really need to know what the hell a Mongoose c-5 is. It had full exhaust all the way( long tube, cats back with 6 damn pipes out the ass end. Ported headed, and a cam. Very very nice car. Carbon fiber valve covers and nice rims and seats. So anyway, he felt froggy any so we went a couple of more times. THe Second time, I beat him just about the same. Third time I really hook good and beat him by about 7 to 8 cars. My friend that was in the car filmed the hole 3 races. So when every his dumb ass put it to disc I'll put it on here guys. So you can see this bad ass vette. Get spanked. Yes I know I'm going to keep flamed real bad by the people on here the get spanked by c-5's or drive Gm's (you just need to learn to drive). Drive it like you want to kill it. IF you dont believe me then oh well. Why do I need to make up a stupid story. I just like to race and these are the some of the facts of me racing. Motor for motor. If you want to race I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. IM me. I would love to meet up.

What mods do u have? I would love to race u, but i'm all the way up in VA.

supersp0rt

Established Member
mongoose edition?? wtf is that guy smoking...ive never heard of anything like that. and as far as having 460hp...sounds like a load of bs as well. it is the funniest thing when someone accuses you of spraying and you have none...the look on their face is priceless when they figure it out...good kills.

BrentB

Established Member
Originally posted by silver01snake

Mongoose is some tuner package out of Fl the guy is known for adding dress up stuff etc and saying they make 460+ hp :)He has sold a few packages but is not a power tuner by any means .He adds exhaust (cat back) and say hmm 30 hp etc,When a cat back wont help a c-5,just make it sound better

Users who are viewing this thread