Got the Vert back w/Apten, thoughts and dyno #'s

rcaldwell00

Established Member
Got the vert back from MC Racing in KC today. They were great, thanks a lot to Mark and Nick and the guys. They did the following mods:

Apten Blower w/ 2.80 upper
Bassani o/r X & Catback
SCT custom tune
Steeda subframes
Steeda strut tower brace
Steeda differential bushings

Car dyno'd 487/485, looked like it was running out of gas at 6500 as it was leaning to 12.3-12.4 on 20 degrees of timing. They kept playing with the tune, couldn't get it richen up so they think it may need new pumps. Other than that, the A/F was great, just leaned out up top. A few observations, the car runs great and feels completely different. It just moves. The drone from the Bassani X is annoying and I think I'm going to have them put the cats back on. The subframes and the strut tower are a must for the vert, really tightened it up. All and all I'm thrilled.

Ryan

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
You thinking putting the cats in will decrease the drone that much.
If so let me know if there is a big differance. Be curious to see dyno differance with cats and without.

rcaldwell00

Established Member
I'll let you know, the cabin noise is really loud at highway speeds, under low rpm's sounds great, but up top....It's going back today to get retuned w/ new pumps so I will let you know what the cats do to the dyno #'s......

Ryan

MikeW

Established Member
SO the subfrmes and the strut brace really helps the verts? Were they weld in subframes or bolt ons? Did the bushings help your wheelhop?

I have a vert with Borla Stingers and a Steeda (magnaflow) catted x and my drone is not that bad unless I'm really up in the rpms. But I'm not pushing the HP that you are so I cant really say that adding the cats will help your drone. A buddy of mine swithced out his Bassani catted x with a magnaflow x and the drone was much less ( he has Bassani CB). Might be the diffreence in the cats themselves I guess.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mine leaned out a bit more. I'm getting a custom dyno tune next month to correct the A/F and get it back to an 11.5 - 12 range. Sounds like you're as happy with the Apten mod as I am.
:beer:

rcaldwell00

Established Member
The strut tower and the subframes helped a ton. You can feel the rigidity difference and lack of cowl shake. The subframes were weld ins, the tower brace was bolted on. I can't tell about wheel hop yet, I rang it out a little bit and no hop, but I have killed it. I'll do that after the tune tonight. I'm not sure if the cats will help the drone or not, maybe just reducing the overall noise level will make me feel better, I had the top down it was just way to loud above 60 ish. CobraBob, they are putting in the pumps today in mine, they tuned and tuned and couldn't get it to dump more fuel, I saw a marked spike after 6000 grand or so. I am following Greg Andersons advice, he's a member and I saw his dyno post the apten and it did the same thing, he swaped the pumps and it ran 11.5 the whole way.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Tell me more about the pumps they're installing. Thanks!

elmo0244

Established Member
Originally posted by JP03SVTSNK10TH
You thinking putting the cats in will decrease the drone that much.
If so let me know if there is a big differance. Be curious to see dyno differance with cats and without.
me too

rcaldwell00

Established Member
Okay guys, got her back. MC racing installed the focus pumps last night, put the cats on and retuned. Car put down 490/4867 and A/F 11.7-11.9 the whole way. I'm shocked the car didn't loose power with the cats but it made more. Tune may have helped too. The car sounds amazingly better with the cats, nice growl to it doesn't rattle your head off at highway speeds yet still sounds mean. All and all I'm thrilled. Car is rock solid and w/ A/F mixture right, I feel safe. Car has 800 miles so hopefully the car gets a touch faster with some miles.

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
Hey Ryan, I posted this on your other post but I was curious about MC doing the welding on your subframes. They didn't use to do that kind of work, did they send you out somewhere else? If they did it, did they get a different kind of lift that picks up the car under the tires like an alignment type lift so they could weld the SFCs in under a real world chassis load?

Regardless, those are sweet numbers! I am seriously thinking about having the exact same thing done to my 03 and you are making me want to spend the money now! Do you feel comfortable divulging the cost for all of that work? Mark is usually pretty reasonable but I am just curious. PM me with it if you would feel better. Also, what part of KC are you in and what color is your vert? I want to know who NOT to race if I run into you on the street. :)

rcaldwell00

Established Member
I replied to your other post as well. I did think it was weird that they didn't have anything other than a chasis lift, I'm going to call Mark and ask him because I am curious and they did charge me for the labor on the weld. All in cost for all the parts and labor was $2600. Biggest cost was the tuner and the apten. I work in Overland Park and live in Shawnee, the vert is Silver. I recommend doing the mods, the car is SO MUCH FASTER. It is like a different beast.

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
Sweet, thanks for the info! If I see you, I will throw you a wave. I work in OVP as well...

Greg Anderson

Established Member
Originally posted by 1CEBITN
Hey Ryan, I posted this on your other post but I was curious about MC doing the welding on your subframes. They didn't use to do that kind of work, did they send you out somewhere else? If they did it, did they get a different kind of lift that picks up the car under the tires like an alignment type lift so they could weld the SFCs in under a real world chassis load?

Regardless, those are sweet numbers! I am seriously thinking about having the exact same thing done to my 03 and you are making me want to spend the money now! Do you feel comfortable divulging the cost for all of that work? Mark is usually pretty reasonable but I am just curious. PM me with it if you would feel better. Also, what part of KC are you in and what color is your vert? I want to know who NOT to race if I run into you on the street. :)

MCRacing did my subframes as well. They set the car on 4 wheels and weld them on the floor. It works just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread