GPS and speeding.

jfsram

Established Member
Is there any navigational GPS that have a feature to let you know if you are speeding?

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
why would you want it? it would be going off ALL the time. nobody drives the speed limit

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
most GPS can show vehicle speed.

its interesting to go back and click the "max speed" button and see how fast you got to at one point. even some of the most "law abiding" citizens are guilty in every trip they make. My neighbor is a very slow driver, false breaker (annoys me to no end) and overly cautious. During a trip i was playing afterwards with the gps (Garmin iirc) and it had shown she hit 84mph once. Nobody is perfect.

txyaloo

Established Member
why would you want it? it would be going off ALL the time. nobody drives the speed limit

They don't? I drive the speed limit 95% of the time.

I know of some factory navigation systems that will allow you to set a maximum speed notification. The newer ones may tie in with GPS maps. My GPS has the the speed limit as part of the maps for most of the roads I drive daily.

90lxstang

Established Member
My mom has a Tom Tom in her Explorer. On the highway it will beep for 5-10 seconds if you exceed 70mph. Not sure if the speed is a set by the user or what, I just know that it happens.

jfsram

Established Member
I'll look into that 255w Garmin. Thanks for the reply and model number.

As for the first couple replies. My car has a speedometer. I've seen the road signs. Just thought a little extra reminder could increase my chances of not creeping over the "threshold" of ticket territory. Obviously some things need to be explained in great detail to some people, while others get it right away. You are part of the first group.

Last edited:

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
My Tom Tom has the road speed and Vehicle speed displayed in the corner. When you exceed the road speed, your vehicle speed turns red.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Is there any navigational GPS that have a feature to let you know if you are speeding?
Yes.

My mom has a Tom Tom in her Explorer. On the highway it will beep for 5-10 seconds if you exceed 70mph. Not sure if the speed is a set by the user or what, I just know that it happens.
Yup! Mine will do this too if it's enabled inn the settings screen. Not sure if it can be set to a specific speed, or if it just defaults to the current roads set limit as defined by its internal map.

U.M.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
if you get a Garmin get a 265T, free traffic info for life

Yea, we just got our dad a Garmin 255WT, same as mine but the free traffic included. Not sure how it works, and haven't used it yet. We looked at the Magellan 1470 also, loved the large screen, but the shit was still smaller to push on the screen anyway.

I want to see how the MSN Link works, and the advanced lane guidance.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I believe the Newer Pioneer F series GPS units also have the speed indicator warning....

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
Yea, we just got our dad a Garmin 255WT, same as mine but the free traffic included. Not sure how it works, and haven't used it yet. We looked at the Magellan 1470 also, loved the large screen, but the shit was still smaller to push on the screen anyway.

I want to see how the MSN Link works, and the advanced lane guidance.
255WT uses MSN for traffic, it is not free and different then 265T
however the 265T does no have lane guidance nor 3d buildings

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
The traffic updates are a waste unless you live in, or have to commute through a large metropolitin area on a regular basis...

U.M.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
My TomTom One XL can be set to give a warning if you go over a given speed. It can be adjusted. I had a Garmin Nuvi and it couldn't. A coworker has one called a Nextar and you can set that to give a speed warning too.

The automatic one where it turns the number red only works on certain roads, mostly interstates.

Users who are viewing this thread