GPS and speeding.

jfsram

Established Member
My TomTom One XL can be set to give a warning if you go over a given speed. It can be adjusted. I had a Garmin Nuvi and it couldn't. A coworker has one called a Nextar and you can set that to give a speed warning too.

The automatic one where it turns the number red only works on certain roads, mostly interstates.

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for Blk04. There is about 4 different XL's on the Tomtom.com. Which one is it? Is that what they refer to as saftey alert.

Thanks

Blk04Snake

Established Member
I don't think they offer the model I have anymore, actually it's a One XL S. I think all the TomTom's have the speed setting though. It's the Garmins that don't have it.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Funny story:

I work in a Dealership Service Department (used to be at Dodge). Well, we had a diesel truck come in one day.I wrote the mileage up at the arrival and we record the mileage out after we test drive it. Well the customer was in habit of keeping his mileage also and he recorded it before he left the house to come see me that day. He picks it up in the evening and calls back IMMEDIATELY. Says that his GPS has a top speed of 155mph and that we were the ones that did it. Take into consideration this truck it a Dodge 3500 Diesel Dually BONE STOCK with about 7500 miles on it. He is blaming up for going 155mph in his truck. He fought tooth and nail with us for WEEKS ABOUT IT. He called all the managers and corporate numerous times. Well while dealing with him we compared all of our mileages with him before he came, when he arrived, and when he left. Total of 7 Miles. (We never test drove the truck while it was in the shop - Simple ECU reflash) He lived 6 miles from us. That leaves a total of 1.0 MILE MAX (not taking tenths into consideration) for us to have traveled 155 mph. The truck shuts down way before that MPH. To this day he doesn't believe us... his GPS just had a glitch.

By far one of the most entertaining events at my job....

Last edited:

jfsram

Established Member
Most every TomTom in Best Buy has the speed warning limit. It's programmable and you can even change the warning sound. Anything from a polite ding to a foghorn to let you know you are a moron.

Bought it for a six hour roadtrip this past weekend. Drove my 87 Ram which has no cruise control. This feature is priceless. If I'm watching my speedometer I can easily maintain a set speed. Music blasting, kids fighting, eyeing up nice girls in other cars. My speed would easily drift up or down 5 or 10 km/hr. I set my XL340-s to 121km/hr and did most of my trip at 115-120. No regrets and would recommend it to anyone interested.

Users who are viewing this thread