Grand Cherokee electric liftgate hits ceiling

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Hi guys, some of you helped on my Honda wreck, thanks, the car was replaced by a GC yesterday.

A problem I'm about to have is when I open my liftgate, it'll open until it hits my garage door.

Ford, with their electric gate, has a built-in lift limit that can be set; it seems that Jeep doesn't.

Yes, I can catch the gate, put a bumper on the door, park outside, or back in...But some of you are Ford mechanics, and would have some better ideas.

I'd bet that Ford and Jeep are sourcing their actuators from the same place...

Could I find a Ford linear actuator and sub it in? Add a limit switch to the Jeep actuator somehow?

Thanks!

Mike

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Trade it in on an Explorer Sport...:rolling:

Just teasing. What year Jeep?

Edit: Did some research and it seems like there is no way to set it. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a shorter arm for the non-powered side that will limit the height when it opens?

Last edited:

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Should've gotten an explorer sport. I can set the limit on mine

Gary101386

Established Member
we took one of those pool noodles, sliced it long ways, and put it on the garage door bracing where the lift gate door would contact...

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Trade it in on an Explorer Sport...:rolling:

Just teasing. What year Jeep?

Thanks, it's a 2015

Should've gotten an explorer sport. I can set the limit on mine

Guess how I know about the liftgate on Fords?!

Thanks for the comebacks.

Could put a chain on the actuator...(yah, pretty lowbrow)

I'm wondering how Ford does it, it would have to be an encoder in the actuator...

It might be so simple as replacing the Jeep device with a Ford actuator, they look to be similar.

I could come up with a variable timer and relay, plugged in series with the actuator.

(Or I could keep grabbing it when it's about to hit...)

1038461180_661.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
It's a Jeep! Just weld a length of chain from the lift gate to the inner bed of the Cherokee to limit lift gate travel. :-D

U.M.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yeah I've never found a way to do this on my 2014 GC. However I've never had an issue with it either. the lift gate doesn't open much higher than the roof of the vehicle and our garage is long enough that we don't have space issues with opening the lift gate with the vehicle in the garage (garage door opened or closed).

Users who are viewing this thread