granite counter tops? prices?

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
I am doing my kitchen over and adding a few things. I want to put granite counter tops in. I have 62 sq feet that i need including the backsplash.

Got a couple quotes of 3800, 3100, and 2900 depending on the type of granite that I use.

Is this a good deal? Is there anything similar to granite that I could use to reduce costs?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
if you want it done right and look nice you are gonna have to pay. our granite counter tops, backsplash, and floor cost me about 8grand

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
sounds right.

my buddy just spent $14k on his granite tops, new sink and SS appliances, but he had a lot of counter top to replace. I think he just went through sears as well.

tistan

Established Member
Granite should start at around $35 a sqft installed. the nicer the granite, the more you are going to pay for it. I've done kitchen remodels where the homeowners paid close to $100 sqft. I had about 50 sqft in my house, and it cost me around $3500 installed, but that included a $400 granite sink and a buddy discount. There is nothing cheaper that will look like real granite. Even a decent formica that is supposed to look like granite will cost you $20 a sqft.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Granite should start at around $35 a sqft installed. the nicer the granite, the more you are going to pay for it. I've done kitchen remodels where the homeowners paid close to $100 sqft. I had about 50 sqft in my house, and it cost me around $3500 installed, but that included a $400 granite sink and a buddy discount. There is nothing cheaper that will look like real granite. Even a decent formica that is supposed to look like granite will cost you $20 a sqft.

dayum. I just got an under counter stainless steel. I just looked mine up my granite counter tops and a bar cost me 5k and some change for "caledonia" granite. don't know how many sq feet that is tho since the estimate doesn't say. just took a sec to figure it out. bar + countertops = 55sq feet we paid 94 bucks / sq ft installed.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
No website. Just a local guy that I know. He did my counters and bar at the store. I'll take a closeup pic tmw or Monday to show you.

LOL so that 54 bucks was with the family and friends discount? I was wondering why it was so cheap.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Granite isn't food grade safe... Over priced and just the new interior design fad.
they have been putting Granite in homes since way before you were born, it is far from a fad. so now post up the source of your info.

Last edited:

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Granite isn't food grade safe... Over priced and just the new interior design fad.
Its not on the food prep tables...:shrug: and RDJ already explained your "fad" comment.

LOL so that 54 bucks was with the family and friends discount? I was wondering why it was so cheap.

Food is a great bartering tool. Everybody likes to eat. ;-)

Evan5469

Established Member
Depends on who you know to be honest. My boss just had his done (about 40 sq. ft. total) for $1500 installed. He and his wife both know several contractors though so that's how they got theirs done for so cheap. So if you know anyone in the business it certainly helps to save some money.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
That's why you use a food grade safe sealer.

Just a choice about what you want around your family, and food. Something you have to spray on your counter and then cant touch it for 24 hours, I dont want that around my family. Doesn't matter how much you seal coat it, too much moisture, water, spilled liquid, ect., can lead to mildew with-in 24 hours. Not only on the top but also seep through to the underneath of the granite counter tops.

I know granite has been around for a long time, so maybe its not a fad. Just a lot of hype in magazines, tv shows, ect. So many other options, but people are fascinated with granite for some reason.

Also some granite counter tops have too high of levels of radon gas.

New York Times;
The E.P.A. recommends taking action if radon gas levels in the home exceeds 4 picocuries per liter of air (a measure of radioactive emission); about the same risk for cancer as smoking a half a pack of cigarettes per day.

I like granite, looks impressive, but cost are ridiculous.

Last edited:

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Just a choice about what you want around your family, and food. Something you have to spray on your counter and then cant touch it for 24 hours, I dont want that around my family. Doesn't matter how much you seal coat it, too much moisture, water, spilled liquid, ect., can lead to mildew with-in 24 hours. Not only on the top but also seep through to the underneath of the granite counter tops.

I know granite has been around for a long time, so maybe its not a fad. Just a lot of hype in magazines, tv shows, ect. So many other options, but people are fascinated with granite for some reason.

Also some granite counter tops have too high of levels of radon gas.

New York Times;
The E.P.A. recommends taking action if radon gas levels in the home exceeds 4 picocuries per liter of air (a measure of radioactive emission); about the same risk for cancer as smoking a half a pack of cigarettes per day.

I like granite, looks impressive, but cost are ridiculous.

I wasn't aware that granite had these issues? Is this true do you have any links to back this up?

RFMustangGT

Established Member
something else you might want to look into is a company called Silestone. You get the look of granite counter tops but for about half the price. It's made from quartz. You don't have to seal it like granite, doesn't scratch, and the only thing you need to do to it is clean it with a 409 or kitchen cleaner. If you hit Home Depot or Lowes just right, they will have deals on edge upgrades, free sink base, 12 month financing, or 5%-10% off.

Users who are viewing this thread