granite counter tops? prices?

jcthorne

Established Member
Just a choice about what you want around your family, and food. Something you have to spray on your counter and then cant touch it for 24 hours, I dont want that around my family. Doesn't matter how much you seal coat it, too much moisture, water, spilled liquid, ect., can lead to mildew with-in 24 hours. Not only on the top but also seep through to the underneath of the granite counter tops.

The term GRANITE covers lots of types of stone. Some, like blue pearl are completely non porous, require no sealers and will never support growth of fungus or mildew. Others, like Santa Maria, are very porous and can be stained with simple grape juice. Choose wisely and weigh the properties of each depending on intended use.

Its a choice and one that is middle of the road in cost these days. Low end laminate has wear and water issues. Solid surface, Stone and man made quartz resin products like Silestone inthe middle. Solid Stainless Steel on the high end of cost.

Granite is fine choice and one that will add value to the home. But do your home work.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Are you talking about Silestone? I looked at some of that when I was picking my granite. It was nice looking, but they wanted $65 a sqft for it.

well we went with zodiaq, but yeah same/similar stuff.

superior to granite, yet has that look that everyone wants still.

tistan

Established Member
well we went with zodiaq, but yeah same/similar stuff.

superior to granite, yet has that look that everyone wants still.

If I hadn't already been $12k over budget on my kitchen, I probably would have coughed up the extra for the silestone. I did like the fact that it doesn't have to be maintained like granite, and you don't have to be as careful with what kind of cleaners you used on it.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
If I hadn't already been $12k over budget on my kitchen, I probably would have coughed up the extra for the silestone. I did like the fact that it doesn't have to be maintained like granite, and you don't have to be as careful with what kind of cleaners you used on it.

And has a 10 year warranty which is nice.

canibus

Established Member
you can buy the best stuff in the world and it won't matter if you get a shitty installation. Do your homework. Big stores hire average installers. Pay the extra cash and hire a reputable installation company.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Granite emits radon? That does it, I'm doing the entire house in granite!

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Just a choice about what you want around your family, and food. Something you have to spray on your counter and then cant touch it for 24 hours, I dont want that around my family. Doesn't matter how much you seal coat it, too much moisture, water, spilled liquid, ect., can lead to mildew with-in 24 hours. Not only on the top but also seep through to the underneath of the granite counter tops.

I know granite has been around for a long time, so maybe its not a fad. Just a lot of hype in magazines, tv shows, ect. So many other options, but people are fascinated with granite for some reason.

Also some granite counter tops have too high of levels of radon gas.

New York Times;
The E.P.A. recommends taking action if radon gas levels in the home exceeds 4 picocuries per liter of air (a measure of radioactive emission); about the same risk for cancer as smoking a half a pack of cigarettes per day.

I like granite, looks impressive, but cost are ridiculous.

This is ironic because there's probably way more poison in your food and the containers it is stored in. Then there's the air, water and everything else in the world.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Radon, bad granite, none of it matters when everything's already contaminated with Dihydrogen monoxide!
crazy.gif

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I just got granite done in one of my new investment properties. I had the option of ten basic stones and paid $26/ft fabricated and installed. Even home depot down here is starting at $32/ft.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I just got granite done in one of my new investment properties. I had the option of ten basic stones and paid $26/ft fabricated and installed. Even home depot down here is starting at $32/ft.

Yea but Home Depot is the biggest assrape ripoff shithole ever.

Users who are viewing this thread