Grass growers inside-->

coop33

Established Member
Not that type of grass pothead!! LOL

I have St Augustine in the backyard of rent house that is wanting to take over the yard. I want this. It's only in about 30% of the yard now but reaching new land weekly, is there any way to speed up the coverage without getting too expensive? Should I mow the St Augustine first then mow the rest of the yard or dig up some of the roots and replant in another section? I don't want to buy any squares.

Any input that could help is appreciated.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I have 0 experience with this type of grass.

I imagine you could dig up little portions to place throughout the yard, buy "starter fertilizer" and water is really well. That may help speed up the process.

Also, how durable is St Augustine grass? For a rental, I would use something that doesn't need a lot of watering and can take abuse like K31 Tall Fescue.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I wish St. Augustine would take over my yard. We completely sodded with it, but after last year's drought about 75% of it died and was taken over by Bermuda. So I'm with the OP here, how to I make my St Augustine grow back, short of cutting out the Bermuda and re-sodding???

Breakdown

Established Member
you can sprig it using your own grass. It grows with long runners as its roots. So you can pick some up (using a hard rake) an move it wear you want to. It takes time. And you only want to fertilize twice a year. Once in the spring and once going into fall. +mowing at the right hight helps( 3 or 4 inches).

mcdover

Established Member
St. Augustine requires a lot of water. I suggest zoysia. Google it and thank me later.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Yes you can transplant your own grass. Dig/pull up some plugs from the good area and spot plant them in the area not yet covered. St.Aug will take over almost anything and spread.

mcdover

Established Member
Yes you can transplant your own grass. Dig/pull up some plugs from the good area and spot plant them in the area not yet covered. St.Aug will take over almost anything and spread.

I've got a few thousand down the toilet in St.Augustine grass. I will sod my lawn in Zoysia next time.

St. Augustine:

Disadvantages
St. Augustinegrass, like most turfgrasses, has certain cultural and pest problems. It requires water to remain green and healthy and may require supplemental irrigation during extended dry periods. It has poor wear tolerance and does not hold up to repeated foot or vehicular traffic. It goes into winter dormancy in parts of the state and turns a brown or tan color until springtime. It produces thatch under high fertilization and irrigation regimes, which may become a health problem for the grass. It has coarse, wide leaves and stems and therefore does not grow as densely as some other species. The major insect pest of St. Augustinegrass is the chinch bug, which can cause considerable damage if left untreated. Some cultivars are also susceptible to diseases, such as gray leaf spot, large (brown) patch, and take-all root rot. Weed control can be challenging, particularly when trying to control persistent, grassy weeds.

Zoysia:
Zoysia Farm Nurseries: Why Zoysia?

The key reasons zoysia is so attractive for homeowners:

Cuts water bills

Zoysia's vigorous root system is so deep and extensive the grass rarely, if ever, needs watering -- zoysia can really cut your water bills.
Reduces mowing by two-thirds

The lateral growth of zoysia means it grows tall very slowly -- most people mow zoysia once for every three times they need to mow other grasses!
Zoysia thrives in heat and cold

“We planted Amazoy plugs three years ago and we cannot believe how beautiful our new lawn is. Our grand son loves to play outside when he comes to visit” —M.D.

"The hotter it gets, the better it grows." Zoysia loves blistering heat and yet it won't winter kill either -- it can survive to 30° below zero. It's perfect for extreme conditions as well as mild climates.
Amazoy plugs will thrive in the heat and sunshine, but will not be damaged by snow or cold weather conditions. Amazoy can withstand temperatures of 120° to -30°Fahrenheit.
Chokes out crabgrass and weeds all summer long

Your established zoysia lawn grows so thick with deep roots that crabgrass and other summer weed seeds cannot germinate.
No more chemicals

Since zoysia naturally resists insects and diseases, you avoid the cost, time and risk of exposing your family and pets to weedkillers and pesticides.
Never needs replacement -- even heals itself

It's beautiful and tough. The way it naturally grows outward along the ground in all directions, zoysia grass acts like a network of plants that can withstand heavy use, and will fill in if damaged.
Zoysia is THE answer for slopes, play areas and bare spots

You can't beat zoysia for hard to cover spots, worn areas or to end erosion on slopes. It even levels out ground irregularities.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I like zoysia, we use it on golf courses and I agree with what you posted but if his St. Aug is doing well and he just needs it to spread faster then he can do it himself and won't cost a penny.

What will it cost to either seed, plug and wait or sod all from scratch?

Ironhand

Banned
Ah... I thought this thread was going to deliver different results according to the thread title. lol

assasyn

Established Member
Mow it as high as the mower can go. It will need a lot of water and and about three years to fill in.

If the tips turn yellow you either have a dull mower blade or too much water. Southern Turf Builder works well twice a year.

tistan

Established Member
I have ST Augustine, and it is a finicky grass. If it has died off, the best thing to do is plug it. It will fill in pretty quickly. I water my grass just about every day. For most people that would cost a fortune, but I have a shallow well for my irrigation. I thought about planting Zoysia, but I didn't like that it needs to be cut 1" or less. I cut my grass at about 3" and like the way it looks.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
St. Augustine requires a lot of water. I suggest zoysia. Google it and thank me later.

My HOA requires St Augustine. Blah blah HOA sucks blah blah, it's honestly the only thing they have that kinda sucks, but it could be worse; they could require Bermuda :shrug:

coop33

Established Member
The St Augustine is growing without much effort. I keep it cut about 3" and bi weekly mowing. We're getting enough rain to keep the roots stretching for new land and the water sprinklers off for now. Of course, this will probably cease this summer because Texas heat is brutal. I will give Zoysia a shot if the Augustine dies off but STAMPEDE3 is right, it's growing now and I would just like to speed it up.
Thanks guys for the tips, all were helpful! Except Ironhand and that was just plain comical LOL

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
My HOA requires St Augustine. Blah blah HOA sucks blah blah, it's honestly the only thing they have that kinda sucks, but it could be worse; they could require Bermuda :shrug:

My HOA wants our community to change to St Augustine but with the amount of idiots that don't mow their lawns I doubt this would even look good. I had St Augustine in my last house and boy did watering that beotch suck! I suggest what Barry said as my old neighbor did that and it seemed to work pretty quick.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I love our St. Augistine, even if I had to sod some this year due to heat burn out last summer. Our neighbors have Bermuda and it looks like crap.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I would honestly fertilize more than twice a year and water, water, water. Fertilize/winterize in Sept/Oct and again early spring... The grass should pop come spring time, then hit again in the Summer.

Users who are viewing this thread