Gray coating on stock plenum/Sc

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
So I've tried a few things to remove this without having to take it down to be media-blasted (if thats even an option, this shit seems to be pretty tough on there). The only effective thing to do so far has been sanding it and using tapered rolls on a rotary for the tight spots.

So I went down and bought some aircraft paint stripper and applied that a time or two, stuff still won't come off.

Regular paint remover/thinner doesn't seem to effect it either. What gets this crap off?

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Sand blaster and then use some Etching Primer and have at it with good quality paint.

RipitRon

Established Member
So I've tried a few things to remove this without having to take it down to be media-blasted (if thats even an option, this shit seems to be pretty tough on there). The only effective thing to do so far has been sanding it and using tapered rolls on a rotary for the tight spots.

So I went down and bought some aircraft paint stripper and applied that a time or two, stuff still won't come off.

Regular paint remover/thinner doesn't seem to effect it either. What gets this crap off?

it is a 2 compoment epoxy, and aircraf stripper will remove it if you leave it on awhile. there is no need to remove it unless you plan on polishing it. Just scuff if and prep it for paint, as long as you scuff and clean the paint you put on will stick fine!

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
it is a 2 compoment epoxy, and aircraf stripper will remove it if you leave it on awhile. there is no need to remove it unless you plan on polishing it. Just scuff if and prep it for paint, as long as you scuff and clean the paint you put on will stick fine!

+1.. i scuffed mine down and painted it.. looks mint!

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
I'm actually looking to sand/polish/seal it once removing the paint. I guess I'll just have to hit it with more aircraft stripper :)

Is 24 hours considered awhile?

The plan is to polish the plenum, SC, midplate, and lower manifold while they're out :)

RipitRon

Established Member
I'm actually looking to sand/polish/seal it once removing the paint. I guess I'll just have to hit it with more aircraft stripper :)

Is 24 hours considered awhile?

The plan is to polish the plenum, SC, midplate, and lower manifold while they're out :)

The key to aircraft stripper is to keep the part you are stripping covered, aircraft stripper has a tremendous amount of solvent in it and it has to stay wet to work! Epoxy is tough but it isnt that tough!

voodoocustoms

Established Member
Once you put the stripper on the case, put the part in a trashbag and seal it up. check back in a hour or two, and things should be happening. By the way not all strippers are equal. I have hade good results with "Zip-strip"

Black-Lightning

Struck By Lightning
Established Member
All I have to say is good luck with all the polishing. You know if your doing it yourself your looking at at least a week or two worth of work. Probably alot more if you want to make it look really good.

Users who are viewing this thread