Great Kill Story: Pulled on a Modded Z06!!

Hammer

Established Member
Boy, tonight was GREAT for street racing. I was out looking to practice my launching for the B/G event.

Met a bunch of really nice guys out in Toms River. And I raced all of them.

2 LS1 Firebirds were a complete joke. They had NOTHING for the 03! But they were really awesome guys so I hung around with them for a few hours.

There was a Saleen S281 with 7 lbs of boost. It might as well have been a Saturn against the 03.

Finally, at about 12:30 AM, a 2002 Z06 rolls into the parking lot.

We raced 3 times. Of those three races, I screwed up twice and lost as a result. I wasn't watching the tach and bounced off of the limiter twice. And this Z06 had more than I expected it would so I could not catch him after the boost dumped in first and second gear (boy, I AM AN IDIOT!).

The third time I shifted good and PULLED ON HIS ASS! By third gear I had him by a car length.

And this Vette guy was a racing animal! Every race, every gear...perfectly powershifted...like a machine. And me along side of him shifting like I'm trying to find a soda cap under my seat.

But with the mods on my car I thought I would pull better on a Z06 than that! We park for a while and get to talking.

The owner told me the Z06 had an X-pipe, cold-air intake and Nitto drag radials. Aaah, that makes better sense now. But still, my car dyno'ed 434 rwhp and 472 rwtq. I should still have pulled on the Z06 better than this.

Then the rest of the truth comes out. One of the Firebird guys notices a NOS bottle behind the drivers seat of the Z06 while we're yapping in the parking lot. The windows were tinted so it was hard to see.

"Come on, bud. What's up with the NOS?" He didn't want to admit it...but he fessed up when confronted. SNEAKY BASTARD!

Aaaaah!!!!!! Now we are getting somewhere! He's got a 75-shot of NOS!

So a Z06 with all those mods and I STILL pulled on his ass when I shifted right. He told me that the bottle wasn't working right because it wasn't heating. Yeah, but STILL!

So I finally got to lock ass with a Z06. Yeah, we got something for em...more than they want to know about.

And the guy had NOTHING but respect for the 03. In fact, he started yapping to me more and more: "Man, I can't believe how fast that cobra is"..."Dude, can I sit in the seat?"..."Man, this car is SOMETHING...how much was it...only $35K???" "Man, I should have gotten one of these"

Hey!! Where's your loyalty to the Vette??? It's OK, I know the snake charm is impossible to resist.

What a blast! Great night. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!

MODS: Amazon Racing DiabloSport Delta Chip
Amazon Racing Cold Air Inlet Kit
2.80" Pulley
Stock exhaust
Stock tires

NEXT WEEK: 4.10's and full Bassani.

Blades

Established Member
Get some DRs to go along with those 4.10s man!! When you say full bassani do you mean the mid lengths as well?! :D :D :D I hope you do!!!

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
damn thats some motivation for us!! I love hearing these kill stories!! So he was using the bottle?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Excellent story man, really interested in how the 4.10's work out.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Was reading and thinking "BS" cause I've raced 3 of them myself and know that the Z06 is MUCH faster than the 03. However, with your mods...

Stock Z06 = 405 HP
K&N = maybe 10
Cold Air = Maybe 10
X-pipe = maybe 20
NOS - maybe 50 ish.

Thats almost 500 HP at the flywheel and at 3150 lbs thats a 6.3:1 HP to weight ratio AND he had DR's??

Your Cobra has 434 RWHP ~ 499 HP at the Flywheel and at 3650 lbs. Thats a 7.3:1 HP to weight ratio.

He's pushing 1 pound per HP less than you! Thats a HUGE difference.

If the guy cant drive he's still got the insurance of DR's....

I say the guy cant drive, but you say he's awsome....

Anything is possible on the street and this goes to show...

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.

Things dont always make sense. I think you can DRIVE like a wild man.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Fast03Cobra
Was reading and thinking "BS" cause I've raced 3 of them myself and know that the Z06 is MUCH faster than the 03. However, with your mods...

Stock Z06 = 405 HP
K&N = maybe 10
Cold Air = Maybe 10
X-pipe = maybe 20
NOS - maybe 50 ish.

Thats almost 500 HP at the flywheel and at 3150 lbs thats a 6.3:1 HP to weight ratio AND he had DR's??

Your Cobra has 434 RWHP ~ 499 HP at the Flywheel and at 3650 lbs. Thats a 7.3:1 HP to weight ratio.

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.

You are talking peak numbers. I'd bet the 03 has significantly more area under the curve.

matstang03

Established Member
Good kill hammer. That was def. not BS at all. I have seen Rich's car(hammer) move, and I have experienced, when I went for a ride in it. His car is not joke, and that is all w/ out exhaust or the 4.10 gears. You should be very happy with the results rich, especially since the Z06 was not stock. Not a bad way to get ready for B/G huh? Good kill Rich:beer:

Matt

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
We need to make a rule in this section.. no bench racing. When you have your car beside another car, all the bench racing goes out the window.

Nice post Hammer.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by Fast03Cobra

Stock Z06 = 405 HP
K&N = maybe 10
Cold Air = Maybe 10
X-pipe = maybe 20
NOS - maybe 50 ish.

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.

From what I have seen at the track the pre 02 z06's and the 03 cobra matchup is a drivers race, stock for stock. The z06 has the edge, but its not enough to really "smoke" a new cobra. I believe the one I matched up against several weeks ago spun 2nd and I pulled him right out the back door. I did not notice him recovering from his sloppy driving. :coolman:

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by Brad

From what I have seen at the track the pre 02 z06's and the 03 cobra matchup is a drivers race, stock for stock. The z06 has the edge, but its not enough to really "smoke" a new cobra. I believe the one I matched up against several weeks ago spun 2nd and I pulled him right out the back door. I did not notice him recovering from his sloppy driving. :coolman:

Really... Didn't know that. I thought the Z06 would walk us pretty good. I 'll find out in a few weeks when I get my MOJO (Black 03). Friend of mine owns a blue Z06. No cats, fricken silly fast Z06.... Take the cars to the middle of catmondu and find out...

WA 2 FST

Established Member
I don't know what your car runs at the track with 434rwhp, but my bone stock Z06 down here in TX (I know its hard to compare track numbers in different areas of the country) ran 12.3 @ 116+ with 1100 miles on it...the first, and only, time I took it to the track.

FWIW, airbox, K&N, X-pipe is worth ~15-20rwhp...max. So off the bottle, maybe he had 370rwhp. So he's got a very low 12-second car...probably high-11 second car on drag radials.

If he was spraying and got beat then he either was running low on juice, can't drive, whatever...unless you have a low-11 second Cobra. ???

Once I get mine back to the track, I fully expect trap speeds that show the car is capable of high-10s.

Not flaming...I'm a Ford guy who just decided to buy the best car for my budget. And I'm looking at an '03 Cobra convertible as an addition to the family. :)

And I am NOT raising a BS flag or anything. I think its hilarious over on the Z06vette forum when guys don't give any respect to FAST FORDS!

Last edited:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Yo WES! Wat's UP, man!

You had a super fast 93 LX, wasn't it? Still have it? 550 hp right?

Glad to see that you are still using the WA-2-FST moniker for your stuff.

Haven't seen Bubba from Bama in a while, although I think I'm still subscribed to Kiriakos's SVT list.

Take care! :D

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Check the sig. :) Actually, just 2 days ago a young man from CA flew to Big D and bought my '90 LX. It sits at 615rwhp. I just don't get to the drag strip very often anymore, and don't drive it around much...so I sold it.

But WA 2 FST will live on. I'm thinking '03 Cobra vert, '66 Cobra replica, or '68-69 big block Vette vert.

We'll see. :D

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
I was killed by a zo6 the other night. I did not pull back on him until 4th gear, but he still beat me by 2 cars. I have no idea if it was modded or not, it was kinda loud.

Great kill!

:bash:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Originally posted by T3 Cobra
I was killed by a zo6 the other night. I did not pull back on him until 4th gear, but he still beat me by 2 cars. I have no idea if it was modded or not, it was kinda loud.

Great kill!

:bash:

FWIW,

The '02-03 Z06s _are_ pretty loud at full throttle. The '01s have pre-cats on them and the exhaust is corked up a bit (one of several reasons they are 385hp vs. 405hp for the newer ones).

Hammer

Established Member
The story is completely accurate; I told it to share a joyful experience with the fellas. If people don't believe me...well...I really don't care about that.

The guy had a bottle but told me that it wasn't working properly because it wasn't heating up. I know nothing about NOS nor do I know if he really sprayed against me. If he did, I don't know what kind of performance it added to his car. I do know that he didn't want to bring up the NOS at all in the parking lot. We saw it in his car and called him on it.

The guy street raced his car like a pro. His shifts were right on, he didn't seem to be short-shifting and never missed a single powershift (I know because we were never far apart).

What I do know is that he pulled on me twice only when I hit the rev limiter and my car fell on it's face. The one time that I shifted good, I pulled on him...and pulled HARD on him.

My car makes 434rwhp and stock exhaust. But it makes 472rwtq. That plays a BIG factor in my car's performance. The HP numbers are MUCH lower than they should be because of the exhaust. On top of that, I have a Diablo chip with 10.2:1 AFR.

Some of you guys are running low 13's in a low 12-second car. OF COURSE you will get your asses kicked by a Z06! We all gotta learn how to drive our cars and you can't be afraid to crack her HARD.

That's the only way you are gonna see the true performance potential. And you do a pulley and exhaust and you got an 11-second car....they did it with just pulley and drag radials (with stock exhaust) in MM&FF and got MID 11's. Why is it so hard to believe?

Re-read the last issue of MM&FF: "...there isn't a Vette in sight, Z06 or not, that can run this hard."

david smilovic

Established Member
I am a owner of XTREME Motor Sports and not just to toot my own horn we build some pretty fast GM cars,I for one am very impressed by the ass whooping laud down on video several nights ago in TX on the exit 28 motor sports car and all the excuse they have .It seems bad track conditions only apply to the Chevy and not the Ford and I see some but Praise the Lord LESS manufacturer SLAMS here and the demographics are for sure younger on this Forum.
I feel proud to own my 03' and as soon as my new head is replaced Tuesday or even Monday maybe I will let you know what bolt ons headers and complete exhaust/flip chip/boost bypass kit/hi flow catted H-pipe/2.80" pulley etcoh yes pro 5.0 and 4:10 and colder= to TR6 Denso irridiums pull on my Dynofully SAE corrected #'s
I love the way Exit 28 bitches about a verly poorly IMHO roots blower which I believe to be a circa 1940 rebuild from Eaton which is OK.They dont put out 14 consistent lbs. of boost 10-11 if all conditions are perfect and suffer from haest soak no matter who designs the Blower/intercooler unit.
RG is running a 7.0 litre balls to the wall motor yes nabut the best balanced/blue printed,stage 3 cams and heads and a cam with a very nice lope to it,probably idles at 950-1000 rpm and he is a rep for ARE so you know any trick Nick has up his sleeve is incorparated in this setup and I mean ALL!!!!
I would love to run him with my little blown 320 ci Cobra when shes done and go apples for apples427 ci VS 320 and as Matt will tell you no replacement for ci's and that will match my 12 lbs of boost.I will use the same DR's and we have gear upgrades on both cars.I bet mine Idles like a stock LS1 as opposed to his racing cam.

I could never DARE print this on the Vette Forum but lets arrange something and have a real Video seems I read the SVT posted video(and I do have bad eyes) as exit 28 getting its ass handed to him on a platter and Vette guys these motors do 368-175 with a conical alone a cat back added 1 more hp so I dont want to hold back on trade secrets.

I'm happy Ford has some healthy competition and this car has sparked a revoloution in the modding industry,being all Exit 28 does is lie and cheat like they did to my partner you know Honest Nate where in TX a hand shake is a contract as is in my book.They do no installs or mods of any sort they just sell parts.
If it was Matt who won/lost I feel for him he's anice man and seems to do the right thing by people,how he got hooked uo part time with RG is afluke of nature.
I hope a rematch occurs and the "Stang wins (sorry Matt) but they dogged us so bad for having motors that produce HI-#'swith minor mods it almost made us sound like liars and cheats but when you are one its EZ to project your own POOP on others.
Who ever owns the "Stang go get em 'cause when my 625+ rrwhp motor hits it will haul down some Vettes with it,I just hope I dont loose any work for having a well designed car with good parts.Yours Truly David Smilovic.

Users who are viewing this thread