Grew up not knowing what was infront of me (Car thread)

Fooj

Established Member
So first off like to say my grammar skills are bad so ignore them all lol

Back when i was kid like 10yrs old, a neighbor had a mustang sit in the driveway never driven or started up. I remember riding my bike by it and stopping to take a peep at it. It was almost creepy to me how it looked since it was just sitting in the driveway with like plants growing on it and stuff. As I got older the car stayed in the same spot, I asked the neighbor to where this car was at a little about it. Since i never saw the owner of it ever come out of the house. Maybe once im a while when he cut the grass but that was it. Anyway he said that it belonged to his brother that died in a car crash. Thats all i knew about the story when i was a kid.

Around then i was a few more years older maybe 13-14, it finally move on a trailer and he was placing another car in the garage now that this mystery car has moved. I finally got to talk to the owner and he said that it was being moved to his mothers house and that he has a Ford Falcon that was his and wanted to restore it. I might've asked his at that time what this car was that has been sitting in the driveway for so many years but i cant remember.

Now at one point before he had this car moved to his mothers houses a random car collector drove by and saw the car. He offered the man $30,000 for it and it was not a good shape as you can imagine the car has been sitting in the driveways for god knows how long. The owner obviously said its not for sale and that was that.

So now that I am 36 and know a lot more about cars, I decided to write this person a letter to see 1, if its still around and 2, what kind of mustang it was.

Here is what i remember as a kid, 60's style mustang, black with gold strips, fog lights on the front. I think it was a 1967 Shelby GT350 or 500. I remember it had a snake badge on the back of the car. If the owner writes back i will update this tread but, crazy to think possibly a original Shelby was right in front of me all those years just sitting and rotting away.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the story.

Did you just wake up this morning with the conviction to share this? lol

Fooj

Established Member
Every now and than I think about it, figured its a cool story. Its crazy to me that a guy would leave something like that to just sit and rot because it was his brothers car.

I guess it seems like something random to share but maybe someone will find it interesting. Im a hoping that the guy writes back and says to me to take it for free than the story will be even better ;)

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Thanks for sharing! I remember in my grandparents neighborhood the neighbor would occasionally open his garage and inside was a 1963-1967 Corvette and a 1968-1972 Corvette. The owner was older then and I was about 10 years old hoping he might one day sell one to my Dad and I. It was fun to dream back then.
The house is still there and guy is too, I think. Every time I drive by his house I wonder if they are still tucked away in there.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
People have many reasons for letting a classic older car sit outside and rot away. Sometimes they think it’s worthless. Sometimes it’s simply a personal reason.

I saw a YT video years ago where an older guy down south had a Hemi Road Runner sitting in his yard starting to rot away some years earlier. The author of the video offered him strong money for it at that time but the guy refused. No reason given. So some years later he drove back to the property to see if the guy had ever sold the car. He hadn’t. It was still sitting in the same spot but was now so rotted that only the engine was salvageable. Sad story.

Fooj

Established Member
Pretty cool. So this car was just sitting in the driveway in the mid 90's?
Prob even longer, I was born on that street and i remember it in the drive since i can remember time lol. It had old tags on it id say it hasnt moved since 70/80's.

I wrote the guy a letter, my dad still lives by the guy and still see him outside so hopefully he responds to my letter and i find out more. All these barn finds on YouTube has me going. Im hoping that when he moved it to his moms house that it was moved in a garage otherwise if it was left outside than the car has to be a complete loss. I know he stored the engine in his garage so that might be the only thing that worth anything now.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
The crazy part is how many of these stories people probably have.

I ran into a guy that had just finished a total restoration of a factory 30,xxx mile 67GT500 that his son saw wasting away behind a barn.
Only reason anyone saw it is because they used the edge of the guys property as a right of way to dump rock.

I love hearing wild shit like this even if OPs story doesn’t end in a find and restore way.

Attachments

• E2F0D695-A734-4996-8542-7B9481F9E6C5.jpeg
    E2F0D695-A734-4996-8542-7B9481F9E6C5.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Fooj

Established Member
UPDATE:

So he emailed me back, it was a 1969 CobraJet 428. Its been worked on and he still owns it. Good to know its being fixed. Man i thought for sure it was a Shelby but i guess not

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
UPDATE:

So he emailed me back, it was a 1969 CobraJet 428. Its been worked on and he still owns it. Good to know its being fixed. Man i thought for sure it was a Shelby but i guess not

That's ok, a CJ is damn sweet as well.
Did he send any recent pics?

Great story, I for one, enjoyed it. I think all us gearheads have a similar story or 2.

Fooj

Established Member
Unfortunately no pics were sent in the email back, was hoping from some too. Hopefully i see him around in the summer time and i can get some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread