Grind and lock out

josegovi

Established Member
I know this has probably been covered in another article, but I could not find one that fits my exact scenario.

My 2011 GT500 shifts fine on all gears except 1 to 2. It will grind at random rpms and times. However, it consistently grinds and locks me out of 2nd gear at higher rpms. The reason my scenario is different is because the most notorious thing to fix this problem is to get the carbon blocker ring, which I have already done. I had the transmission upgraded to a stage 2 from tick performance, which includes that and many other goodies, and tranny was fine for couple of years and now the issue has come back alive.

Tick said they would suggest changing the master cylinder and flushing the tranny fluid. I called the mustang shop that does nothing but mustang for 20 plus years, and they said that does not make any sense, they would recommend changing the clutch, as I believe this is the stock clutch and car has 57k miles.

I'm not sure what to do here, but I have been thinking about changing the car for a while before this started to happen, and this makes me think about it more.

Does anybody here run into the same issue after upgrading to the carbon blocker ring? If so, what was the solution.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciate it all.

Sent from my SM-S906U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HKusp

Established Member
The reason you have this issue is the remote shifter and engine torque alowwing for misalignment of the 1-2 shift. If you weren't having it before, and now you are, it could certainly be the clutch, but it could also be motor mounts loosening up. You may need to replace those and I would drain the transmission fluid and replace it with Mobil1 synthetic automatic transmission fluid. It helped mine a bunch. I also got a Blowfish transmission brace to help manage the torquing of the engine and tranny.

josegovi

Established Member
The reason you have this issue is the remote shifter and engine torque alowwing for misalignment of the 1-2 shift. If you weren't having it before, and now you are, it could certainly be the clutch, but it could also be motor mounts loosening up. You may need to replace those and I would drain the transmission fluid and replace it with Mobil1 synthetic automatic transmission fluid. It helped mine a bunch. I also got a Blowfish transmission brace to help manage the torquing of the engine and tranny.
Was not having it before from what I can remember, and for whats is worth I have the mgw shifter too, which is supposed to help with the problem.

So the tick recommended McLeod clutch, however the mustang shop said they started having issue with McLeod clutches since a couple years ago where they had to be rebuilt cause the would break pretty soon after replacing miles wise but after 90 days of the warranty, so they recommended the Vengeance clutch stage 2 but can't find one for the 2011 GT500.

HKusp

Established Member
Call Terry at Beefcake racing. Either him, DJ or Jake will be able to help you with that. If it's made for the S197 GT500, I am not sure. That's what's going in my 2018 GT right now while my engine is out. .

1-855-827-7223

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Who the **** is tick?

If you are located in Charlotte, NC your 21 minutes from Dan and the guys at Pro Dyno. I would kill for a 21 minute drive to that shop.

Highly recommend you don't spend anymore money until you have them look your project over.

MG0h3

Established Member
Who the **** is tick?

If you are located in Charlotte, NC your 21 minutes from Dan and the guys at Pro Dyno. I would kill for a 21 minute drive to that shop.

Highly recommend you don't spend anymore money until you have them look your project over.

You’ve never heard of Tick Performance?

Pretty popular transmission specialty shop.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
You’ve never heard of Tick Performance?

Pretty popular transmission specialty shop.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
No sir.

OP stated he called a "mustang shop" thats been around for over 20 years. If it was Pro Dyno, I would get a second opinion. Also Pro Dyno installed my McLoed and I havent had any issues.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Tick has a good rep for building transmissions.

Not sure if they deal with stuff outside of that though.

They design aftermarket shifters for problem vehicles so they should be able to point him in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

fitforspeed

Established Member
Tick Performance are good guys. Father and son operation. Specializes mostly in the GM world, and rebuilding transmissions. They used to build some pretty fast Camaros back in the day. Not sure what they are up to now as I no longer live in the same area. They put in a clutch and rebuilt the t56 in my 03 years ago. Jon and Jonathan iirc, great guys!

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Tick has a good rep for building transmissions.

Not sure if they deal with stuff outside of that though.

They design aftermarket shifters for problem vehicles so they should be able to point him in the right direction.

I googled them.
Look to be pretty heavy into the GM and LS1 stuff.

MG0h3

Established Member
Hanlon seems to be more into Fords. I’ve used them and they are awesome.

josegovi

Established Member
Alright, I have an update and not a good one. Got the Vengeance clutch installed by ProDyno and still grinds on second gear. Called tick performance and they said the syncros which they replaced around 2 years ago with the carbon syncros are more than likely bad, which would require paying another $3,400 plus labor to take the tranny out and send it to them.

Something here just does not feel right, because I dont even take this car to the track, is making stock power and I drive it less than 4,000 per year, so unless tick performance did not change the syncros like they said they did, then I am at a loss because I am not going to be spending $4,000 to $5,000 every two years for a car because the syncros wear out so easy.

Not sure if anybody has any recommendations but I think is time to sell and not deal with the problem anymore.

cobracide

Established Member
There are better places to deal with Transmission issues and Tick is a good choice. That's literally all they do. They did a level2 transmission upgrade.. no issues.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Alright, I have an update and not a good one. Got the Vengeance clutch installed by ProDyno and still grinds on second gear. Called tick performance and they said the syncros which they replaced around 2 years ago with the carbon syncros are more than likely bad, which would require paying another $3,400 plus labor to take the tranny out and send it to them.

Something here just does not feel right, because I dont even take this car to the track, is making stock power and I drive it less than 4,000 per year, so unless tick performance did not change the syncros like they said they did, then I am at a loss because I am not going to be spending $4,000 to $5,000 every two years for a car because the syncros wear out so easy.

Not sure if anybody has any recommendations but I think is time to sell and not deal with the problem anymore.

I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but when I was building my 65 I had American Powertrain (AP) build my TKO600. I had heard the TKO600 had issues at high RPM shifts. So, I paid to have the transmission upgraded. Part of the upgrade included carbon fiber synchro's.

After a few months of driving, the car would grind going into 4th gear. I called AP and they said the synchro's they installed had a manufacturing defect and the "spray" on carbon fiber lining on the synchro's was coming off and causing the problem.

My transmission had just gone out of warranty. However, AP stated that if I paid for shipping they would cover parts and labor. I saved some money by removing and installing the transmission myself. They told me a couple other parts had minor damage due to the grinding. So, they replaced everything that had issues.

Once I got the transmission back it shifted smooth as butter and has been working fine ever since.

So, if your problem is similar to mine, once the synchro's are replaced you should be good to go and no need to get rid of the car if you don't want to. I definitely understand your sentiment. Dealing with stuff that doesn't work is VERY frustrating.

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, do you have an MGW shifter installed?
Blowfish Bracket?
I know this might be reaching, just trying to help

I agree, why the **** would synchos have to be replaced with only normal driving? No way

In your original post:
Tick said they would suggest changing the master cylinder and flushing the tranny fluid. I called the mustang shop that does nothing but mustang for 20 plus years, and they said that does not make any sense.

Tick sounds like they are doing the Sammy Davis Jr move; tap dancing

josegovi

Established Member
I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but when I was building my 65 I had American Powertrain (AP) build my TKO600. I had heard the TKO600 had issues at high RPM shifts. So, I paid to have the transmission upgraded. Part of the upgrade included carbon fiber synchro's.

After a few months of driving, the car would grind going into 4th gear. I called AP and they said the synchro's they installed had a manufacturing defect and the "spray" on carbon fiber lining on the synchro's was coming off and causing the problem.

My transmission had just gone out of warranty. However, AP stated that if I paid for shipping they would cover parts and labor. I saved some money by removing and installing the transmission myself. They told me a couple other parts had minor damage due to the grinding. So, they replaced everything that had issues.

Once I got the transmission back it shifted smooth as butter and has been working fine ever since.

So, if your problem is similar to mine, once the synchro's are replaced you should be good to go and no need to get rid of the car if you don't want to. I definitely understand your sentiment. Dealing with stuff that doesn't work is VERY frustrating.
Thank you for the info. Maybe this is what happened here. Either way, tick performance did not give me that nice option, and unfortunately, I have no idea how to remove the transmission myself so I will have to pay a shop the removal, reinstallation, shipping and the fixing so.

I am going to take it to a transmission shop that takes a car instead of one you have to remove the transmission yourself and send it, get a quote, and take it from there.

Any company that makes the synchros with none of these problems?

josegovi

Established Member
MGW Shifter is installed, but I don't think the blowfish bracket is installed though.

I appreciate you trying to help. I am not sure what move is tick performance trying to pull if any but, is very easy for them to just say "replace the syncros again", they are not the ones who are going to have to be without their car for months and pay 4k
OP, do you have an MGW shifter installed?
Blowfish Bracket?
I know this might be reaching, just trying to help

I agree, why the **** would synchos have to be replaced with only normal driving? No way

In your original post:
Tick said they would suggest changing the master cylinder and flushing the tranny fluid. I called the mustang shop that does nothing but mustang for 20 plus years, and they said that does not make any sense.

Tick sounds like they are doing the Sammy Davis Jr move; tap dancing

Users who are viewing this thread