Ground Control vs. Eibach Coil Overs?

rlhay2

Established Member
I've the Eibach's. Pleased with them so far but have had nothing to compare them to.

Imatk

Established Member
Thanks guys, I was thinking of going with the FRPP kit but someone told me I would be saving a lot of weight if I went with the coil overs.

rlhay2 is the ride rough on your eibachs?

chuckstang

Established Member
Same question, what options are out there for coil overs and which is the easiest to install and return to stock, perhaps requires no welding? A good price is nice as well

:D

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Griggs Racing uses Ground Control struts in their GR40ST package; actually, Ground Control only makes the outter strut housing, everything inside of it is Koni and GC's rear shocks are Koni.

I ran the GC system before I went with Griggs, good stuff made right although they started me out with 390# front springs and they were not enough spring for the GT500, 450# worked in the front with 250# in the rear. GC also uses Eibach springs. Jay is The Man at GC should you need a contact.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Dave07997S

Established Member
Griggs Racing uses Ground Control struts in their GR40ST package; actually, Ground Control only makes the outter strut housing, everything inside of it is Koni and GC's rear shocks are Koni.

I ran the GC system before I went with Griggs, good stuff made right although they started me out with 390# front springs and they were not enough spring for the GT500, 450# worked in the front with 250# in the rear. GC also uses Eibach springs. Jay is The Man at GC should you need a contact.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

You are correct but I wanted to add they do modify the Koni shock as it is shortened to accomodate the shorter springs. GC is the best bang for the buck when it comes to suspensions and as you mention Jay is the man. When I was into E46 M3's they owned the market.

Dave

Blaine

Established Member
Thanks guys, I was thinking of going with the FRPP kit but someone told me I would be saving a lot of weight if I went with the coil overs.

rlhay2 is the ride rough on your eibachs?

FRPP's complete kit exceeds almost 100lbs. Average coil-over kit weighs in at 50 lbs.

Weight savings + endless adjustability = sure winner is coil overs.:beer:

Last thing any GT500 needs is a SINGLE Pound of added weight... anywhere.

Last edited:

rlhay2

Established Member
Here's what I have:

group-fffffd4a-a14d-4076-a047-789244ef7826-420.jpg

There rears are not true coil overs, I believe Griggs is the only one with a true street based coil over system at this time.

I am currently running my car on the 2 softest setting on the front and the 3rd softest on the rear. The ride is a bit firmer than stock but not at all harsh. It's perfect above 80 and when autocrossing or on the track!

The Eibach kit at max height is 1.5" lower than stock. And it can go another ~1.5 lower if desired.

Hope this helps,

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

you can also get the superstreet set up individually as well. i believe is gc up front and koni coil overs in back. starts at $3600.

S197 GR40SS "Super Street" Chassis

Major components include:
Coil-Over front struts with adjustable Koni inserts
Integral Billet Aluminum Camber Plates
Urethane Front Control Arm Bushings
Adjustable Aluminum Rear Control Arms (Heim jointed)
TorqueArm
Adjustable Aluminum Panhard Bar (Heim jointed)
Rear Coil-Over Ball End Adjustable Shocks
This incredible kit includes the foundation to make a street-driven Mustang into a smooth riding, incredible handling street/strip/track car. Configured to give you incredible hookup for a blast at the drag strip, while at the same time provide superb cornering performance at the track and on the way home. The system focus is correcting S197 rear suspension geometry to kill rear wheel hop at launch while allowing infinite ride height adjustment and superior damping. This is the best place to start on your S197 Mustang and will give you a great foundation for future upgrades.

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
Here's what I have:

There rears are not true coil overs, I believe Griggs is the only one with a true street based coil over system at this time.

I am currently running my car on the 2 softest setting on the front and the 3rd softest on the rear. The ride is a bit firmer than stock but not at all harsh. It's perfect above 80 and when autocrossing or on the track!

The Eibach kit at max height is 1.5" lower than stock. And it can go another ~1.5 lower if desired.

Hope this helps,

Eibach also has the R2 kit. H&R has a good kit. Steeda and so does griggs. Just depends on how much you want and how much you want to spend.

35115.713.jpg

mustangco_3in.gif

s197_coilovers_550.jpg

Blaine

Established Member
Here's what I have:

Hope this helps,

Eibach also has the R2 kit. H&R has a good kit. Steeda and so does griggs. Just depends on how much you want and how much you want to spend.

multipror2_300.jpg

mustangco_3in.gif

s197_coilovers_550.jpg

chuckstang

Established Member
This is where I get confused.

Why is it Griggs does not manufacture their own coil overs front and rear?

Also, why is it Ground Control uses Koni parts for their coil over kit.

I like how if you go with the eibach kit, it is all eibach.

The only thing I don't like about the Steeda and Eibach is that the rear is not an actual coil over set up, just an adjustable perch

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
you can also get the superstreet set up individually as well. i believe is gc up front and koni coil overs in back. starts at $3600.

S197 GR40SS "Super Street" Chassis

You're right and I was wrong, it's Griggs' SS package, not ST, that comes with the GC front struts.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Why is it Griggs does not manufacture their own coil overs front and rear?

Struts and shocks are not Griggs speciality and they're had a long relationship, 30+ years, with Koni.

Also, why is it Ground Control uses Koni parts for their coil over kit.
I'd be guessing if I tried to answer this question, but the reason could be the same as above.

The only thing I don't like about the Steeda and Eibach is that the rear is not an actual coil over set up, just an adjustable perch

I've used both in my GT500 and true rear coil overs produce a completely different feel then shocks with stock location springs and adjustable spring perches.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
You're right and I was wrong, it's Griggs' SS package, not ST, that comes with the GC front struts.

the st is a notch above including the new front cradle(k member) and full sla conversion.

I've used both in my GT500 and true rear coil overs produce a completely different feel then shocks with stock location springs and adjustable spring perches.

i would be interested on hearing the differences in feel and handling. stock vs new springs and shocks vs your new chasis geometry?

Imatk

Established Member
FRPP's complete kit exceeds almost 100lbs. Average coil-over kit weighs in at 50 lbs.

Weight savings + endless adjustability = sure winner is coil overs.:beer:

Last thing any GT500 needs is a SINGLE Pound of added weight... anywhere.

Do you think that the extra weight comes from the sway bars? I'm just wondering since I would want to upgrade the sways either way... coil over or FRPP.

I agree about the weight. I'd love to pull about 300 pounds off this car :)

Blaine

Established Member
Do you think that the extra weight comes from the sway bars? I'm just wondering since I would want to upgrade the sways either way... coil over or FRPP.

I agree about the weight. I'd love to pull about 300 pounds off this car :)

No. The extra weight starts at the springs and ends with the shocks/struts. Their sway bars also weight more as well. Once you add all the parts together the total difference is around 26lbs.

Here is a few weights:

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs..... 30 lbs
Ford Lower Springs...... 36.85 lbs

Ford Racing Handling Pack..... 146.15 lbs
Eibach Pro System Plus ...... 120 lbs
(not coilover kits/the kits include Shocks,struts,springs, and swaybars)

2007-08 SVT MUSTANG ANTI-ROLL BAR KIT...... 35 lbs

Eibach Pro Coil-Over Kit..... 50lbs
(Over 96.15 lbs lighter than FRPP kit - 35 lbs {Weight of FRPP Sway bars} = 61.15 LBS of savings )

**Keep in mind this is WEIGHT SAVINGS is compared to AFTERMARKET KITS....... WEIGHT SAVINGS compared to OEM Suspension will be much more***

I'd put the shock and sway bar comparison in here as well, but I can't find the weights of the Eibach Shocks or sway bars alone. Aftermarket shops just LOVE to keep the weights of the parts they sell "TOP SECRET CLASSIFIED" since I guess weight on cars doesn't matter.:rollseyes

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
No. The extra weight starts at the springs and ends with the shocks/struts. Their sway bars also weight more as well. Once you add all the parts together the total difference is around 26lbs.

So the difference between the Eibach Coilovers and the FRPP kit is 26lbs?

Blaine

Established Member
So the difference between the Eibach Coilovers and the FRPP kit is 26lbs?

That is the non-coilover kit difference which compares the same type of kit. Just shows that there is alot of weight difference between the same TYPE of part among Different brands.

61 lbs is the difference of FRPP VS Eibach Coilovers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread